shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you use an Ultrasonic Cleaner to often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 9:19:20 PM
Author: Lynn B
Date: 9/26/2005 9:05:29 PM

Author: ame

I might buy the one from Dave Atlas.

Any particular reason, Ame?
I feel like if an appraiser recommends a product that works well for him to clean what he is going to be appraising, it will do what it should do and do so well.

luckylux

Rough_Rock
Hi, new to this forum but had to put in my 2 cents b/c I just got my ultrasonic cleaner from SI last week (via American Express membership rewards) after waiting 3 months for one from Lifestyle Fascination.
My experience has been that the dirtier the stone is, the bigger the difference. I have an asscher cut asha that whenever I louped I could see all this grainy stuff. Drove me nuts, and I am a jewelry cleaning maniac, so it wasn''t for that reason. I u.s. cleaned it, and voila!, irritating dirt is gone and it is noticeably more sparkly. It sparkled before, but not like this. This stone is in a double claw x-prong setting w/ a basket, so the pavillion was essentially inaccessible to cleaning by brush.
My diamond, in a semi-tension setting also came out cleaner. Now b/c of the setting, I can access more of the stone. Still there were always dirt/dust spots that I could see through the loupe and I could never get them out. With the ultrasonic cleaner, they came out. No big improvement in sparkle b/c the stone was pretty clean, I was just being intense about anything being on my stone.
So, my feeling is that how best you can clean your stone is totally dependent on the setting. I have a 4 prong cz that gets cleaned nicely, but I''m guessing that since most of the stone is accessible by the little brush, it''s not going to be a huge difference. I''m wondering, those people unhappy with you us cleaners, what kind of settings the stones are in. Since I''ve gotten the ultrasonic cleaner though, I''m too lazy to use the other more manual method
19.gif

Also, the important thing about an ultrasonic cleaner is the # waves/second it produces, which should be 42000 hertz (don''t quote me doing this from memory, read this somewhere & I can''t remember where). SI ultrasonic does meet this criteria.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
luckylux- so i guess cz''s can be cleaned ultrasonically?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a quick aside, guys. I just went downstairs and caught my DH using his dremel to clean the rust off of one of his hammers.
23.gif
I took one look, and told him, "I don''t ever want to hear the words ''are you cleaning your ring again?'' come out of your mouth."
9.gif
He and I have had a really fun day. I''ll have to tell you about our understanding in another thread.

Shay

luckylux

Rough_Rock
Hi JCrow, czs can absolutely be cleaned ultrasonically. They are considered a hard stone.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks lux!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Still waiting for mine...
20.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I just got mine and I have to say, I don''t notice a difference!!!
2.gif
8.gif
39.gif

I used ammonia (about one third), Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water.
I first tried normal (it has pave), then after not noticing any difference, I used high, then repeated high.

I cleaned it out with a lint free cloth and then I louped it and I can still see the specks of dirt and grime in the pavillion area when I view my ring from the top.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe I need to steam clean it! Help!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
STILL WAITING...
39.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Quick question.......is the SI unit supposed to make CLICKING noises when it''s on?
1.gif

thelittleguy

Rough_Rock
Yea it does...kind of like...click click click click, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...(repeat)...if that helps :)

mmorrison

Rough_Rock
anyone have any input on Connoisseurs ultrasonic?

it''s the only one at sale at walmart here... of course I am wary of buying from them :razz: and it didn''t give any details about its power -- the SI one says 42,000 etc..

I''d just get the SI off ebay but I''m leaving on a trip and want to surprise a friend :)

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 12:48:16 AM
Author: thelittleguy
Yea it does...kind of like...click click click click, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...(repeat)...if that helps :)

Mine does that so I know it''s definitely working. Also the blue pulse rate light stays on while it''s bzzzzzzzing and then flickers during the click, click, clicking. I can also see the unit vibrating and little bubbles start to form in the water.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 11:07:05 AM
Author: butterfly 17

Mine does that so I know it''s definitely working. Also the blue pulse rate light stays on while it''s bzzzzzzzing and then flickers during the click, click, clicking. I can also see the unit vibrating and little bubbles start to form in the water.

I don''t get any bubbles in the water. Just a little "shimmy" of water movement, but definitely no bubbles.
33.gif
Do the rest of you get bubbles?! Little Guy??!!

Thanks,
Lynn

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Butterfly, try FireGoddess'' "formula:"

1 drop of dishwashing detergent
5-7 sprays of windex
fill to the "fill line" with hot water

And see if you get better results.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just cleaned my rings this morning. Haven't cleaned them in at least a week and a half, but I don't wear them when I wash my hands, put on lotion, cook, etc. Used my recipe (as stretch mentioned again above) and I can notice a huge difference - melee is more sparkly, halo is more sparkly, center stone GLEAMS. I'm very surprised that some of you are not having as great results as you had hoped. The only time I've seen that happen is when I cleaned a ring that was VERY poorly cut...I thought dirt was contributing to the lack of sparkle so I cleaned it for a friend...turned out it's just a poorly cut stone! But I know that's not the case here...so maybe you all are just super cleaners normally!

ETA: Butterfly, I doubt you're going to get bubbles unless you're adding soap. I do get bubbles on top, but my cleaning mix includes soap. BTW, after the cleaning cycle is done, I rinse the items in hot water, and then leave them on a towel to dry. A lint free cloth is good as well - I also use that if a big water drop is still left on my center stone after drying.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Lynn,
they are really really tiny bubbles. Like froth actually.

Stretch4,
I will try it, but something tells me that since I keep my ring super clean to begin with, I probably can't get it that much cleaner.

I may look into getting that steam cleaning thing. I was planning on getting one for the house, especially for our shower door, there is soap scum that just doesn't come out no matter what I do and my husband has been telling me for a year now to get the Shark Steamer, but I just don't want to spend the money.

I saw one at the Sharper Image the other day. Sorry to hijack this thread!! I will use it to clean the rings as well.
2.gif

ETA: FG, Yes, I do add Dawn dishwashing liquid to it, so that's probably it.
2.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 11:52:36 AM
Lynn,

they are really really tiny bubbles. Like froth actually.[/b]

I don't get any froth, either. ???? Do you guys get froth??!!! I wish I knew for sure if this thing was working properly!!!

Please keep us posted on the steam cleaner. I suppose that's the last gadget left that I don't already have to clean these rings. I'm sure it's just a matter of time...
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lynn, I think your big-@ss 2.35 ct center stone is just SO FREAKING HUMUNGOUS that there''s no place for dirt to hide under. Don''t freak about the bubbles. I hardly ever notice. I can''t vouch for today cuz when I added water to the mix, it sudsed up the soap so there was a half inch of head on the solution before I turned the thing on!

Do you have anything that''s pretty dirty that you can throw in there to convince yourself it''s working? Like a pendant or something that you sleep with? If that won''t convince you, nothing will. My princess cut pendant gets all mucked up from never being taken off...when that baby hits the ultrasonic, it gets freed from a layer of grime and screams, "HELLO WORLD!!!!"

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK... UPDATE! UPDATE!
1.gif

I just re-read this whole thread... and using everyone's suggestions/ideas... here's what I did.

LOTS of ammonia (about half), 2 drops of DAWN, the rest HOT water... ran it for one "normal" cycle, then did "repeat". Rinsed under hot running water. Dried with a soft, lint-free cloth. All I can say is...

YOWSA!
30.gif
Yep, THAT made a difference. I then louped them (thought of you, Ame!
2.gif
) and there was not a smudge or a speck of dirt anywhere... and those babies just SPARKLED like crazy. Just like that first wondrous look when they are fresh from the box. Perfect. Blinding. Gorgeous. THAT definitely made the difference. But I have to say, using SI's recipe of 1/2 tsp ammonia and 1 drop of DAWN
20.gif
, and only using one "normal" cycle did NOT produce these results. Does this mean the machine is not working 100% properly? Who knows?! Anyone have any guesses?!

Well, I will sure be interested in Mara's report!

Lynn

ETA: FireGoddess, your post made me smile! xoxox!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lynn I was wondering if you had to put more stuff in there. I mean it seems like a tiny bit of cleaner wouldn''t do a thing. Who knows.

Anyway, Al got hers yesterday and had rave reviews for it. So now I am dying to get mine and I plan to run a little experiment on it too. Hopefully I''ll take some pictures.
31.gif

IF the darn thing ever gets here!!!
39.gif
It shipped a WEEK ago!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
You can call SI''s toll-free number and they will track it for you. I actually called on Monday and found out that the package had been delivered to my local PO (but our mail carrier had already left for the day) - so I went to the PO and picked it up, thus getting it a day early. And be prepared - it''s a HUUUUGE honkin'' box!!!

L

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 11:52:36 AM
I may look into getting that steam cleaning thing. I was planning on getting one for the house, especially for our shower door, there is soap scum that just doesn''t come out no matter what I do...
2.gif
For the shower door - try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser that you can get in the soap/cleaning aisle of grocery stores and drugstores. With just a little water, it gets off every last trace of soap scum on the doors. It''s better than anything I''ve ever tried, and so much easier.

I wouldn''t try it on your rings though!
2.gif
41.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK so I called SI and they told me that it was shipped USPS ground so there was no REAL tracking on it (der okay why do they even put a tracking # on the order then?)...anyway they could tell me it had been delivered to my local PO yesterday. So I called the PO and they told me that if it was delivered to them yesterday then it should be out for delivery today. So keeping fingers crossed. Mail guy comes around 1pm around here...(4pm EST) so we''ll see! It will hopefully be here when I get home later this afternoon, I have to buy ammonia anyway.

It''s insane how badly I want this thing to arrive. Simple pleasures? hahaha. I haven''t cleaned my rings in 4 days!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
Will your mail guy leave a big box? Because, believe me, they have that baby packed WELL!

Lynn

thelittleguy

Rough_Rock
Yeaaaa Lynn,
I''m so happy it worked out. I was starting to feel bad for leading everyone astray on this thread about the marvels of the SI ultrasonic. Now I can sleep in peace!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lynn I hope so...he sometimes does and sometimes doesn''t. If not then we live a few minutes from the PO so I will just go over there and harass them!
31.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
HA - yes, that does help, LG. Thanks.

It''s LOUDER than I thought it would be! I had it downstairs on the kitchen counter last night.....and hubby, who was upstairs, calls down "WHAT''S THAT NOISE".....he thought it was the electronic ignitor on the gas stove!
9.gif
LOL

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 1:15:47 PM
Yeaaaa Lynn,

I''m so happy it worked out. I was starting to feel bad for leading everyone astray on this thread about the marvels of the SI ultrasonic. Now I can sleep in peace!

LOL! Feel free to sleep like a baby!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
No need to "feel bad" AT ALL! It IS a very fun toy, and believe me, we all bought into it freely and with our eyes wide open! Thanks!
21.gif

Lynn

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 12:50:35 PM
Author: Mara
OK so I called SI and they told me that it was shipped USPS ground so there was no REAL tracking on it (der okay why do they even put a tracking # on the order then?)...anyway they could tell me it had been delivered to my local PO yesterday. So I called the PO and they told me that if it was delivered to them yesterday then it should be out for delivery today. So keeping fingers crossed. Mail guy comes around 1pm around here...(4pm EST) so we''ll see! It will hopefully be here when I get home later this afternoon, I have to buy ammonia anyway.

It''s insane how badly I want this thing to arrive. Simple pleasures? hahaha. I haven''t cleaned my rings in 4 days!
I''m just puzzled that yours it taking so long. I ordered mine the day after you did, and I received it yesterday. Odd.

Hopefully, today is the day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results