shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you use an Ultrasonic Cleaner to often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Sebcanon my three stone ring has micro pave on the shank and I have been cleaning it weekly in the ultrasonic (Frontgate's model) for over a year now and have not lost any stones.

By the way BlueKeet, Frontgate's ultrasonic cleaner is great and it is big enough for sunglasses.

BlueKeet

Shiny_Rock
I ended up with a GemOro 1.2 Quart Ultrasonic Cleaner. Big enough for sunglasses and it did wonders on my earrings. Thanks for all of the information and recommendations. Plus it looks nice on the counter - black plastic exterior.

sebcannon

Rough_Rock
Ok so I got my Ultrasonic in & immediately got it all set up, popped my e-ring (who I like to call Sparkles...I know I''m weird!
9.gif
) in there w/ some hot water, amonia & liquid dishwashing soap. I did 2 cycles on normal....& wow wee how my baby shines! Sparkles is the most sparkley I have ever seen her! She was already pretty clean so I honestly didn''t think I would notice much of a dif...but boy do I! I love this machine! And not a stone lost! Yippy! I don''t really have any other nice jewelry to try out yet...just my lil beauty...but hey, maybe I''ll get some more goodies for my B-day & Christmas coming up soon!
2.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean Seb--I hesitated on buying a US for quite a while because I was already so OCD with the red jar of Connoisseurs I wondered if I''d really see a difference, but wow! I don''t know how the dirt was hiding on there, but it was. Nothing like ultrasonic sparkle.

Kiwiblossom

Rough_Rock
Hello.

Wow. Almost a year later and this thread is still going! Here I am at work and I couldn''t help but read through all 19+ pages of this thread. I, too, based on your posts, purchased a SI UC (refurbished but LIKE NEW) on ebay for a total of $62? It will arrive tomorrow (or so says UPS). I had bought another refurb one a couple years ago (the older model) and found it to not work at all - which is why I ended up returning it. I have since learned of a new deluxe model and so I''m giving it another shot.

FYI, back when I had first bought the older model (refurb) I used 1 tsp of ammonia (actual ammonia) and the rest in room temp water. It did absolutely nothing. I mean, i could have shaken some of the dirt off myself from waving my hand around - but still the cleaner did NOTHING.

I was a bit hesitant but decided to buy it again - with the hopes that the wonderful recipes above will work better. My ering is a platinum ring with baguettes as sidestones and paves on 3 sides of the band. Each pave is held in with 4 little prongs...

I''m scared to use it tomorrow because A: i don''t want paves falling out and B: i don''t know if it''s ok to use w/plantinum and lastly C: not sure if it''ll work AT ALL.

We''ll see. Wish me luck ladies (and gents)!

Kiwiblossom

Rough_Rock
Hmm.. I got my SI cleaner today via UPS. I ripped it open at the office and couldn''t wait to get home so I asked everyone in the office if they had anything they wanted cleaned. MY coworker (who recently got engaged to a fireman) gave me her ring to clean. Her ering looks antique but it''s not and it has tons of micro pave diamonds here and there. We tossed it in there with some squirts of windex, dishwashing soap and hot water. I ran it on normal once and opened up the lid.... to find..... a micropave rolling around in the blue tank. OMG. I didn''t know what to say. I just froze. She has been engaged for roughly 4 months now and 2 months ago, one of the micro paves on the other side had popped out - she realized it one morning at the office...

So~ she went back and got it replaced. However, a part of me tells me that her ring was probably just a result of faulty craftsmanship, but then.. I can''t help but feel bad. The ring was sparkly and clean but... because that micro pave popped out, I couldn''t help but wish I had not thrown it in there. Better loose in the tank than anywhere else, right? Well, I still feel bad right now. I got home from work and I can''t bare to put anything in there now cuz I feel like whatever goes in will come out looking crappy. Oh yeah, another reason why I feel so bad... she had a RHR that she threw in there too with her ering... it was a white gold ring with diamonds on it. Anyway, when that one came out, I saw like.. gold dust floating around all over in the tank.... So I quickly picked up her ring and saw.... that it had gone from white gold to... yellowish gold. Not full on yellow but CLEARLY yellowish. I feel so bad. Are her rings just poor quality rings? or is this SI machine stronger than I thought?

Sigh...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 12:24:05 AM
Author: Kiwiblossom
Hmm.. I got my SI cleaner today via UPS. I ripped it open at the office and couldn''t wait to get home so I asked everyone in the office if they had anything they wanted cleaned. MY coworker (who recently got engaged to a fireman) gave me her ring to clean. Her ering looks antique but it''s not and it has tons of micro pave diamonds here and there. We tossed it in there with some squirts of windex, dishwashing soap and hot water. I ran it on normal once and opened up the lid.... to find..... a micropave rolling around in the blue tank. OMG. I didn''t know what to say. I just froze. She has been engaged for roughly 4 months now and 2 months ago, one of the micro paves on the other side had popped out - she realized it one morning at the office...

So~ she went back and got it replaced. However, a part of me tells me that her ring was probably just a result of faulty craftsmanship, but then.. I can''t help but feel bad. The ring was sparkly and clean but... because that micro pave popped out, I couldn''t help but wish I had not thrown it in there. Better loose in the tank than anywhere else, right? Well, I still feel bad right now. I got home from work and I can''t bare to put anything in there now cuz I feel like whatever goes in will come out looking crappy. Oh yeah, another reason why I feel so bad... she had a RHR that she threw in there too with her ering... it was a white gold ring with diamonds on it. Anyway, when that one came out, I saw like.. gold dust floating around all over in the tank.... So I quickly picked up her ring and saw.... that it had gone from white gold to... yellowish gold. Not full on yellow but CLEARLY yellowish. I feel so bad. Are her rings just poor quality rings? or is this SI machine stronger than I thought?

Sigh...
Sure sounds like it. Jewelers use ultrasonics, and I''m sure theirs are more powerful than the SI. I clean my white gold rings in my SI almost every day with no problems.

Kiwiblossom

Rough_Rock
Thank you Christa. After seeing what happened to her ring - I was sooo scared at the thought of throwing my own in there. I did speak to my rep at Robbins Bros yesterday and he said that mine will be fine. He said that if anyone''s diamond pops out, then it means that it wasn''t set properly - except when it comes to micro paves.. He said that those are super easy to pop out and that they are set with laser? something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results