shape
carat
color
clarity

can you turn a yellow gold ring to white gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
I have a question that might quite silly. Can you turn a yellow gold ring into white gold? Would rhodium plating it work? Also, how much would that cost? Thanks for your help!

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
you can have it rhodium dipped @ your jeweler for about 25.00. the jeweler told me it wouldn''t last long and wasn''t worth doing. once you start wearing it, it starts to wear off and the yellow starts showing through. i ''spose it''s different for everyone. i wouldn''t wear it everyday though, that would get costly getting it dipped so often. i would get a new white gold setting, would be cheaper in the long run. i actually thought about it at one point in time. i had a yellow gold tiffany style with a 1/3 carat round brilliant. just wanted to get it dipped, decided after talking with my jeweler, just to get a new setting, a four prong white gold. glad i did. i now wear it everyday as a right hand ring, and no worries about it turning yellow!!
28.gif

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a yg ring that I had rhodium plated. I noticed the yellow peeking through after about 4 months of daily wear. I just had it redone over the weekend (it cost $35) and it looks great again, like a brand new ring! The ring has to be fairly plain, though. I have another yg ring that I would love to have done, but it has too much detail and milgraining. The jeweler wouldn''t touch it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The answer is YES. Cost depends where you live, $35 is what I have paid.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 11:14:07 PM
Author: Kaleigh
The answer is YES. Cost depends where you live, $35 is what I have paid.
Agree, it cost me $50 though. I guess it vary''s.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have had many pieces "dipped" and it really depends on how often you wear the item and your body chemistry. i usually pay about 10-20 depending on the item but i also go to a place that does the plating in-house, they don''t send it out to be done.

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies! How long have you worn yours before the yellow starts to show and can you dip a ring that has diamonds in it? thanks for your help!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 11:57:44 PM
Author: galleygal
Thanks everyone for your replies! How long have you worn yours before the yellow starts to show and can you dip a ring that has diamonds in it? thanks for your help!!
Yes you can have rings etc,, dipped with diamonds in it. How long it lasts depends. I am not hard on my jewelry it's lasted for years. But some need to have it dipped more frequently.
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Length of wear depends upon how often you wear it and how rough you are with it (activities wearing the ring). It is an electroplate method so there is no need to remove the diamond and the stones are not affected in any way.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had it done with pretty good results, but I am not hard on my jewelry and rhodium plating lasts a fairly long time for me. I have never paid more than $25, and have even gotten it done for free as well.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Expect jewellers to raise their prices each time they replace their rhodium solution which in a small shop might be once a year or so:

http://www.kitco.com/charts/historicalrhodium.html

Scary huh?

Also we hear that many companies now dip rings in and out for only a second or two. Can anyone guess why?

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
My guess is to use as little of the solution as possible and to have the customer keep coming back to replate.

By the way-thanks again for all the replies. I love PS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results