shape
carat
color
clarity

can you turn a yellow gold ring to white gold?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by galleygal, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. galleygal
    Shiny_Rock

by galleygal » Apr 24, 2008
    I have a question that might quite silly. Can you turn a yellow gold ring into white gold? Would rhodium plating it work? Also, how much would that cost? Thanks for your help!

2. nsaids_nurse420
    Shiny_Rock

by nsaids_nurse420 » Apr 24, 2008
    you can have it rhodium dipped @ your jeweler for about 25.00. the jeweler told me it wouldn''t last long and wasn''t worth doing. once you start wearing it, it starts to wear off and the yellow starts showing through. i ''spose it''s different for everyone. i wouldn''t wear it everyday though, that would get costly getting it dipped so often. i would get a new white gold setting, would be cheaper in the long run. i actually thought about it at one point in time. i had a yellow gold tiffany style with a 1/3 carat round brilliant. just wanted to get it dipped, decided after talking with my jeweler, just to get a new setting, a four prong white gold. glad i did. i now wear it everyday as a right hand ring, and no worries about it turning yellow!![​IMG]

3. deegee
    Brilliant_Rock

by deegee » Apr 24, 2008
    I have a yg ring that I had rhodium plated. I noticed the yellow peeking through after about 4 months of daily wear. I just had it redone over the weekend (it cost $35) and it looks great again, like a brand new ring! The ring has to be fairly plain, though. I have another yg ring that I would love to have done, but it has too much detail and milgraining. The jeweler wouldn''t touch it.

4. Kaleigh
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Kaleigh » Apr 24, 2008
    The answer is YES. Cost depends where you live, $35 is what I have paid.

5. Skippy123
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Skippy123 » Apr 24, 2008
    Agree, it cost me $50 though. I guess it vary''s.

6. Asscherhalo_lover
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Asscherhalo_lover » Apr 24, 2008
    i have had many pieces "dipped" and it really depends on how often you wear the item and your body chemistry. i usually pay about 10-20 depending on the item but i also go to a place that does the plating in-house, they don''t send it out to be done.

7. galleygal
    Shiny_Rock

by galleygal » Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your replies! How long have you worn yours before the yellow starts to show and can you dip a ring that has diamonds in it? thanks for your help!!

8. Kaleigh
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Kaleigh » Apr 24, 2008
    Yes you can have rings etc,, dipped with diamonds in it. How long it lasts depends. I am not hard on my jewelry it's lasted for years. But some need to have it dipped more frequently.[​IMG]

9. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Apr 25, 2008
    Length of wear depends upon how often you wear it and how rough you are with it (activities wearing the ring). It is an electroplate method so there is no need to remove the diamond and the stones are not affected in any way.

10. Diamond*Dana
    Ideal_Rock

by Diamond*Dana » Apr 25, 2008
    I have had it done with pretty good results, but I am not hard on my jewelry and rhodium plating lasts a fairly long time for me. I have never paid more than $25, and have even gotten it done for free as well.

11. Garry H (Cut Nut)
    Super_Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » Apr 25, 2008
    Expect jewellers to raise their prices each time they replace their rhodium solution which in a small shop might be once a year or so:

http://www.kitco.com/charts/historicalrhodium.html

Scary huh?

Also we hear that many companies now dip rings in and out for only a second or two. Can anyone guess why?

12. galleygal
    Shiny_Rock

by galleygal » Apr 26, 2008
    My guess is to use as little of the solution as possible and to have the customer keep coming back to replate.

By the way-thanks again for all the replies. I love PS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.