shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you turn a solitaire into a 3 stone ring with a wedding band?

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all who offered advice on my last post with options on pairing my ER with wedding bands. I would love to add some extra sparkle to my ring but appreciate the advice many of you gave about not having a wedding band compete with your ER.

New idea, rather than a blingy eternity band: is it possible to turn a solitaire into a “3 stone ring” with a custom wedding band? I.e. a wedding band that has two stones, made to nestle the engagement ring. Or is that just a bad idea?

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
Photos for reference: I’m wondering if I can turn this solitaire into something like this three stone ring with a wedding band only- leaving my solitaire in tact to wear solo or with the band that makes it look like a three stone ring. DE22D5DE-4AC4-496F-B2FC-D49A97F6D66B.jpeg
F40EA998-A0EB-4651-801C-E0978F9AAABF.jpeg 8E95B536-209C-4FAC-97C1-14755BE1CF08.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Photos for reference: I’m wondering if I can turn this solitaire into something like this three stone ring with a wedding band only- leaving my solitaire in tact to wear solo or with the band that makes it look like a three stone ring. DE22D5DE-4AC4-496F-B2FC-D49A97F6D66B.jpeg
F40EA998-A0EB-4651-801C-E0978F9AAABF.jpeg 8E95B536-209C-4FAC-97C1-14755BE1CF08.jpeg

I like this idea alot

You could - it’s an interesting way to change up your look! The downside is that it may be more expensive since the ring guard would have to be custom. If you can find a cheap CZ ring that’s a 3 stone (similar to the look you want) first I would order that and wear it for a while and see if you like the look enough for a daily basis!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Party jackets offer a dressier option around a centre stone and I’ve seen a few designers specifically offer them recently. They tend to fit around the north/south parts of the ring though. I’m not sure how you’d get a three stone look, with the sides centred on your solitaire - the shank of your solitaire is in the way, so you’d have the side stones sitting on top somehow which would look very odd, plus they’d catch on things really easily. I can see how it would work if the side stones were off centre (either north or south of centre), but not as a classic three stone. You could try a cheap open cuff ring to see how it looks (uncentred) around your stone.

Personally, I love your solitaire by itself and would add any glitz you want via a right hand ring. Or an eternity band on your left hand index finger?

ETA:
Here’s some examples. They work because the jacket is dressy and mitigates from the fact that there’s a shank within a shank. If you just want two side stones, I’m not sure if the wrapped shank would look a little ugly without lots of detail to distract from it? Something along the lines of the second daisy one could work though? But the wrapped shank (of the jacket) looks like it would sit a lot higher off your finger and the side stones would be quite flush with the main stone, rather than lower and tilted like in most standalone three stones 3B206A9E-8FBA-4A51-B1E1-69B890DD20C1.jpeg 6B3F1706-2663-4955-BBCC-C3A3C457CB2A.jpeg
Edited again: the kind of band wrap that Karl posted above would probably be a cheaper and easier - a second shank with the stones set off centre on it (so that they do sit centred on your solitaire). I think the lack of symmetry would annoy me - stones centred but the wrap’s band would be off centre in the piece as a whole. I don’t know if I’m explaining that clearly! (I’d also qualify that by saying that I really like a gap between wedding and engagement rings - I don’t like the slight asymmetry of two bands directly next to each other with the stone centred on only one of them - I’d rather see a gap so I view them as two separate pieces of jewellery. If you don’t share that slight nuttiness, the option Karl suggested wouldn’t annoy you in the same way!).

Last edited:

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much! I’m reaching out to my jeweler to see if they can make something like Karl described.

Which of these looks do you like better?
1CB37041-68FA-4315-910D-244BDFE1BA9B.jpeg (with my center stone)
32BB5C7A-BC9F-4A1D-A721-066B8EAC6F81.jpeg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could you post a profile view of your ring? There’s lots of experts on the structural side of settings on here and I’m sure one/some of them could provide ideas on how a wrap could work. Your options will be limited by how your basket etc are structured, but it might be useful to have a range of feasible options suggested to discuss with your jeweller.

Last edited:

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
Could you post a profile view of your ring? There’s lots of experts on the structural side of settings on here and I’m sure one/some of them could provide ideas on how a wrap could work. Your options will be limited by how your basket etc are structured, but it might be useful to have a range of feasible options suggested to discuss with your jeweller.

Good point! Sharing a profile view. Thank you! 104475163_3395663043779753_1400653361681059358_n.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, you seem to have been wanting to change up your solitaire into a three stone for a while now. Maybe just go for it? While, yes, you can create a wrap to go around your soli, my personal feeling is that you just want to change your current e-ring setting. I could be wrong of course. Otherwise, the thin pavè band looked gorgeous with your current ring! You can even add two and change up the look frequently. That will also add more sparkle to your stack.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The look is not off looking the shanks done right looks like a ring and wedding band that sits close.
So unless a band and ring look off to you it should be ok.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
OP, you seem to have been wanting to change up your solitaire into a three stone for a while now. Maybe just go for it? While, yes, you can create a wrap to go around your soli, my personal feeling is that you just want to change your current e-ring setting. I could be wrong of course. Otherwise, the thin pavè band looked gorgeous with your current ring! You can even add two and change up the look frequently. That will also add more sparkle to your stack.

Plus one. I think if you like the three stone, look at cadi cut diamonds, half moons, etc. It seems like you would prefer it.

Link for a variety of side stones:

I would vote for cadi or epaulettes.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This. You have a simple setting that you can easily go back to when you become tired of your 3 stone look. If you custom make the wrap you are considering, it will be just as costly as resetting your stone into a 3 stone and I don’t think it will provide you the same look bc there will always be an extra band or it might have a minor gap—as jackets usually do. I think you should just go for it and reset! One thing I have learned here on PS, when we start obsessing about something—we don’t stop until we get it. Lol. It’s nice to have wishes that money can fulfill!

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
This thread might be of interest to you:

I prefer the look of the 3 stone with your stone. A halo ring guard would have seams that would look “messy” to my eye.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pretty much everything from her, not just the jackets. How can you argue with a world where an 8ct asscher needs a party jacket to add a little more finger coverage?! Oh to be in the 1%...

Lol, right?!!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!! That IDJ jacket is just perfection. I swear whiteflash did an excellent one too, with sapphire side stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results