shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you tell the difference between Man Made, and Earth mined diamonds?

Can you tell the difference visually between Lab Grown and Earth Moned

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 36 92.3%

• Total voters

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
There is such a huge spread in price in lab grown diamonds. DeBeers has their Lightbox brand of LGD that are $800 per carat. But I don't see where you can see what the specs are for their diamonds? Otherwise, the prices I see are much much higher. Does anyone know where a good source is that is lesser priced than others? Is there a type of Rapaport price list for LG?

They give general minimum specs here: https://lightboxjewelry.com/pages/our-quality

You can see lots of pictures of LB if you search around this forum a bit.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
One aspect of all this that's so interesting ( to me) is the disruption aspect.
Old timers that I know have no ability to grasp the impacts. Not that anyone else really knows how this will all shake out...
There's no "Rap List" for LG ( yet)
Debeers...ah good old Debeers......who, for so many years controlled the market they now are disrupting.
$800 per carat.....to me this is the ultimate "F.U." to the trade. I don't believe it's a model built with profit as the prime motivations...as much as to shake things up.
Of course, there's no selection- no sizes above 1ct.....all the jewelry is 10kt....so in a way, they are leaving room for the rest of us.....

Like many other businesses, there's "bottom feeders" selling at lowball prices, offering less than stellar service.....
But like the earth Mined Diamond business- the wide spread in prices also denotes a wide spread in quality.....making dealers essential in the equation ( thank goodness for me, I'd hate to go back to mowing lawns)

I agree with much of your comment, but just a few points of information: LB sometimes goes a bit above 1ct, especially in princess cut stones. Also they sell a few 14k gold settings direct on their site, and offer many more 14k items through Blue Nile.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results