Can you spare some dust for this little guy

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dust dust dust for that handsome wee kitty. I hope he pulls through

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ: hope all is well and you've just been busy taking care of your adorable patient. Continued dust on its way. I hope he is continuing to improve.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, continuing to think good thoughts for this sweetie and sending more healing vibes and dust his way. Hoping things are improving and he is continuing to recover. Big (((HUGS))).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone

Thank you ALL, each and everyone of you, for thinking of him - and of us - it was so comforting to come here and see your messages.

I didn't post earlier because we had a lot going on yesterday (as many of you guys guessed :). Then this morning I felt annoyed with the vet's office and needed to kind of process what was bothering me before posting. I will probably come back in a bit and get your advice on that.

But for now, I wanted to tell you that he showed most improvement this morning. He has definitely been more alert and more playful since the first day of nebulizing treatments but his respiratory rate kept holding in the 80s. This was making me nervous even though the vet told me that it takes time for the medicine to kick in and do its thing. But when I called to get his vitals after I dropped him off today (so he'd have 4 days of treatment) his Respiratory Rate was 56. I can't bring myself to use the clapping icon yet - just too afraid to get excited. :/

But I can say he's definitely headed in the right direction which is so awesome. So...heart is cautiously happy. :)

Does anybody have experience with nebulizing their cats at home?
Does anybody have experience with cat skin mites or scabies?

Thank you again, all of you. ((((hugs)))) and extra special warm hugs to all my NIRDIs

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008, you and your hubby are wonderful for taking this kitten in and getting him the vet care he needs. I'm so glad to hear that he's improving and hope that he continues to do so. Please keep us updated, and best wishes.

Q

Queenie60

Continuing to send thoughts and prayers your way. You're a wonderful person for taking this on. :angel: ((((hugs))))

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just now saw this thread. Dust for your kitty. I hope he shows continued improvement. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1476549250|4087415 said:
Hi everyone

Thank you ALL, each and everyone of you, for thinking of him - and of us - it was so comforting to come here and see your messages.

I didn't post earlier because we had a lot going on yesterday (as many of you guys guessed :). Then this morning I felt annoyed with the vet's office and needed to kind of process what was bothering me before posting. I will probably come back in a bit and get your advice on that.

But for now, I wanted to tell you that he showed most improvement this morning. He has definitely been more alert and more playful since the first day of nebulizing treatments but his respiratory rate kept holding in the 80s. This was making me nervous even though the vet told me that it takes time for the medicine to kick in and do its thing. But when I called to get his vitals after I dropped him off today (so he'd have 4 days of treatment) his Respiratory Rate was 56. I can't bring myself to use the clapping icon yet - just too afraid to get excited. :/

But I can say he's definitely headed in the right direction which is so awesome. So...heart is cautiously happy. :)

Does anybody have experience with nebulizing their cats at home?
Does anybody have experience with cat skin mites or scabies?

Thank you again, all of you. ((((hugs)))) and extra special warm hugs to all my NIRDIs

Awww so happy he's is improving CJ!!!!! Thank you for updating us sweetheart. I was thinking about him and Jordy's cat all weekend and hoping and praying all was going well. Keeping my fingers crossed he continues to improve!

I don't have any experience with nebulizing the cats or with cat skin mites but I will ask my sister and let you know what she says. Biggest hugs and more healing vibes being sent your and this sweet kitty's way.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Continued dust....I'm so glad he is doing better! Thank you for giving him a chance. You guys are the best!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update CJ, I've been thinking about this sweetie and so glad to hear he seems to be doing better - thank you again for helping him, I know it requires time and effort on your part and it's so nice of you to provide the treatment he needs. Big hugs to you and your dh.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting, CJ, and I also say you and your DH rock for taking in a kitten who came in needing plenty of vet care and nursing.

You are THE BEST!!!! :angel: :saint: :appl: :love:

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the update cj that is one Lucky little guy to have found you.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again all of you for stopping by and thinking of him! :wavey:

We really appreciate all your kind words and thoughts. Sorry I'm not responding to each one individually but know that I've read every one of your words.

UPDATE:

He had his 5th day of nebulizing treatments yesterday. We're supposed to keep him quiet here at home, which we have been. He's improving, although his breathing rate was back up to 68 so didn't get any better than the 60s. I do notice the little scabs he had by his cheeks are healing. So he is getting better I just hope better is good, you know? Not just better but still sick or in trouble.

They have not tested him for FIV yet and the vet seemed to be really pushing for that when he's feeling better, which makes me think perhaps he secretly feels that's what he has (he did test negative for FELV).

VET'S OFFICE:

We had another issue with the vet's office yesterday. It was a whole miscommunication issue where they're saying I gave the OK for him to get what they call a "re-exam" aside from the nebulization. But we did not want him to have this "re-exam" - one, because if anything, we wanted it done AFTER the nebulizing treatment so we could get a better sense of where he stands (they did it first thing in the am) and two, because we would have rather watch him at home and then bring him by next week (unless something looked off before that of course)...and we would have wanted to be present for the exam so we could ask questions. And aside from all of that, it was bothering us that they charge only $10 less than a full exam (which is $53) for a re-exam, and we actually didn't really understand why they would need to do it.

But what they take as me giving the OK was that we talked about it when I dropped him off. But this was the front desk, not the Dr. and so I did not think they were actually saying, "he's going to get another full exam today." Especially because we had already agreed with the Dr. that if his breathing was still labored, he would come in again for another treatment. They're now saying they needed to do the reexam to see if he should have done the treatment. But that is not at all what we had discussed with the Dr. And it was early in the am, I'm just trying to drop him off (I had a Dr.'s appointment I needed to get to) and I'm just not thinking because I'm just there to drop him off in my mind. I should have stopped her the minute she used the word "reexam"' and said "no, don't do a reexam."'

This morning I was just looking at the Dr.'s notes and the first vet that saw him (who's on vacation this week) had said to do an exam 7 days after the last nebulization. Which makes sense to us - let him go through all the treatments and then examine him (and of course bring him back sooner if anything changes for the worse). That's even better than doing it at the end of the day on the last day of treatment but even more why the morning of doesn't make sense and seems like they're just using it as an excuse for whey they needed to do it.

We were also under the impression that a Doctor was taking a look at him at the end of every day, after the treatments - but it seems that all that happens is that the technicians just kind of tell the Dr. what's going on. So whenever I was talking to the Dr. at the end of each day they hadn't really looked at the cat - or at least not "hands on" in any way. This is the one part where I am not sure if it's unreasonable to expect he'd be getting looked at by the Dr. as course / part of what's included in the treatment. I could see both sides of that - yes, of course, or no, if you want hands on from the Dr. then you need to pay for a reexam (although I think it should be more than just $10 off when you just saw him last week and your technicians kept an eye on him all week). But maybe they were "allowing" me to talk to the Dr. when they should have said that "the Dr. doesn't really know, they haven't looked at the cat. It's the technicians who are overseeing him." Maybe from their perspective they didn't charge me for those conversations, but if they don't usually do that, they didn't tell me.

It doesn't help that there were a couple of other things that happened throughout the times we've been there that felt like they try to sneak things in or intimidate you into getting things without thinking about it (oh, he needs this food - puts 4 cans on the counter. Oh, he needs probiotics, as she's slapping a label on the box. Oh, he needs a fecal, while taking the cat away.) Like they're just telling you this is what's gonna happen. At the same time I do also recognize that they didn't do some things that they could have easily said I needed to do - like the skin scrape. So I want to give credit where credit is due.

Curious what your thoughts are on this - but mostly just venting.

DH is supposed to talk to the Dr. today to see if he can appeal to him to see our side of this. So we'll see. I just hope it gets resolved where we all feel OK so it's not uncomfortable when I have to bring him back. I really hate that. :/

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I've been down your vet road with The Westies.

My thoughts:
This Clinic's procedures are deceptive at best. Get outta there. They are ADDING TO YOUR STRESS and you can't allow that. No one should have to PARSE with their medical practitioner. I finally moved to another vet clinic and life is a whole lot better for me. The Westies have some chronic health issues that were completely exacerbated by the stress I got from exactly the bull$#it you describe including the BS over appointment times. I spent a TON of money by them upselling me just like they are upselling you, with no positive result for the dogs.

Move on to another clinic.

If kitty needs probiotics, THIS is the only tested for purity and efficacy (number and type of bugs as specified on label) probiotic for dogs and cats (tested by Consumer Labs):

http://nusentia.com/pet-probiotics.html

It is made in Idaho, not China. You will never have contamination with this probiotic and it will actually do the job in terms of the bugs/numbers of bugs.

And enormous hugs to you and DH and ear scratches for sweet kitty.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, how's the kitty doing? I hope he is continuing to recover and heal and do well. I am sorry for this latest upset with the veterinarian's office and just wanted to comment about the FIV test. It is important to get that done and I am surprised they didn't do a SNAP test which tests for both FIV and FeLV. That is what we had done for Theo when we brought him in before he was adopted by his new parents. It is a critical finding and I thought (but not completely sure) that testing for both is done at the same time. Anyway I support you having the FIV test done and it doesn't mean they suspect he has it but rather it is the general practice to do that testing since it is important health info.

As for your other issues with them I just don't know and I am sorry you are dealing with this on top of the stress of the sweet kitty being sick. Not being there and not getting the general feeling of things it is hard to know for sure but if your gut is telling you something is wrong it probably is. I don't like that the vet doesn't check on the kitty each day he is there and that a tech is supervising because the vet is qualified to evaluate the kitty and the tech is there to assist. That just doesn't seem right to me.

As for the pricing and the re-exam vs full exam and the difference bw the 2...it is not my area of expertise so I don't want to give my advice except to say if it doesn't feel right then listen to your gut. Do you have a veterinarian clinic in mind where you have more confidence in the doctors that you can switch his care to? Are they otherwise giving what you and your dh consider to be good care to the kitty? Do you have confidence in their skill level or is that in question too? That is the most important thing right now that your cat gets excellent medical care and while the other stuff is upsetting once your cat is stabilized you can find a better veterinarian clinic for all your furbabies.

Sending continued good thoughts and healing vibes his way and (((HUGS))).

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh CJ! Your DH is an angel! I'm so happy you found this little one and that you are helping him! Wish there were more people like you in this world!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, that's how DH felt, that my visits there shouldn't be adding to my stress. :/

Thank you so much for your support and for your kind words (((hugs))) (are you a huggy type of person or would you prefer a bump hands kind of thing) ::)

I blame myself a little bit because I get worn down easy especially after I let down my guard...so what happens is that I get more easily manipulated because I stop questioning. I go along more. I don't want to come off as not nice or like I don't trust them.

And thank you so much for the information on the Probiotics. That's what I mean, I get what they tell me I need to get because they do it so quick I don't even have time to question price, or to even question, is this the best Probiotic I can get? I did a little research on the one they gave me - FortiFlora for cats - and of course I ran into some posts that say it's terrible and actually has no benefit - but others where it says that it may be effective for kittens as far as hardening their stool. But that doesn't even touch on where it's made, etc.

I sent an email to my pet sitter to see if she names of clinics that she's heard are good through her clients.

Glad to hear you found a better clinic for your Westies.

missy thank you for confirming that I should do the FIV test - I had done some research and had come to the same conclusion, although the only reason I even questioned it is precisely because the first vet (at the different office) had not done it, so I thought perhaps there is a good reason (from my research the only thing I can come up with is maybe too young?) But, I just sent a text to the first vet asking him to clarify. because I'd like to understand his thinking.

Thank you also for your feedback about all the other things going on.

I definitely trust the expertise from most of the Drs. there - especially from my regular vet (the one who's on vacation this week). And that is a good point that you make as far as that goes - the office issues are secondary IF I cannot find another clinic I trust as far as the medical care itself.

And as a side note...(and maybe you can ask your sister, if you want, and if time allows, and if she's OK with answering it!) - it has been running through my mind - how did the very first vet - the one far from our house, same one that didn't run the FIV test - not catch or tell us that he possibly had mites? This is not the same as with the lung/breathing which could have happened overnight...how did not notice the hair loss, scabbing, etc.? Especially knowing he was coming into a household with 2 other cats. Yes, they told us to isolate him at first, but we had no idea about possible mites until we brought him to the second vet who put him on Revolution. And this is even after I texted the first vet and told him the cat was scratching a lot and that I noticed he had like matted hair - which I came to realize were scabs - on his cheeks. He had me swab his ears for possible ear mites but it didn't occur to him it might be a different type of mite? :/ And the cat was physically with them for like a week - so didn't they notice the scratching?

I just feel that the re-exam should be like half off. Especially when you're looking for something specific after the treatment you recommended. Now I have no basis for saying that business wise value wise etc. (not time but expertise which I say all the time and understand) Most of the things on the reexam weren't even checked off which leads me to think weren't checked. All I'm saying is you saw the cat last week for a FULL checkup - he was with you 5 days getting looked at every day your techs - if you need to look at him again, charge me half off, do only the things that will allow you tell me whether treatment is working. But again, that's just a feeling/what I would like. Doesn't mean it's correct. It just feels like really, you're charging me for an exam again?

I'll give you another example...just venting ::) I had a long story, but I'll keep it super short. Let's just say that on Saturday I showed up at the same time I showed up all the past 3 days only to find out they open 30 minutes later. When I point out - in a neutral way, not angry - that nobody told me (to the same girl who told me my appointment was 7 minutes ago) all she could bring herself to say is "oooops!" So there's a general lack of...I don't know...professionalism? caring? I don't know what it is. But a more sincere "sorry about that" would have been much nicer and appropriate, and that would have totally satisfied me.

scandi! yes DH is pretty awesome. :0) Thank you. :)

He's doing OK. But in my mind, he's not doing great. He's still holding in the 60s as far as his breathing. And I thought I detected very subtle signs of congestion. If that gets worse I'm taking him back. Where, I don't know - but that would indicate to me it's going back the other way. :/

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ -- such a lucky kitten! I hope he is able to get fully healthy.

Will your normal vet be back next week? Might be worth just dealing with the office for now and sticking with the one you like.

As for re-exam fees, I agree with you that it is outrageous how much they charge for what is (usually) a quick 10 min or less thing. Our vet does $85 problem visit fee and something like $65 for re-exam. That said, all of the vets are happy to get progress emails/pictures so I seldom have to do re-exam.

The techs at our vet are good. The Dr doesn't always look,at the animals in for a tech procedure, but sometimes does and the techs get her as needed if they have concern. I get email updates from the tech at the end of the day and they bring the Dr in if I have specific questions that need her.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I'm glad your baby is improving. You have every right to be upset about this clinic. They are acting very unprofessional. I would be ticked off too.

ETA. Are there other vets in your area you can bring him to for follow up or additional care if he needs it? Although to be honest I would bring him where you feel the vets are best. I would discuss the office support staff to the vet. He/she may not be aware of how unprofessional they have acted.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also ask the local shelters if they have any preferred vets. That's how I found my current vets - they were beloved by the shelter I adopted two of my babies from.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys,

Just a quick update because you've all been so kind asking about him and sending him dust...

I took him to a different vet (thank you all for your recommendations on how to find one, they were very helpful) and she is pretty sure he has FIP. Which is fatal. :(sad

I'm in denial, and sad, and mostly in denial.

I thought I was going to have to put him down right then and there but she said he's still stable so it can wait. But it won't be long. :(( Especially because I don't want him to suffer for one second. :((

I might take the xrays to my original vet, or to a specialist, even though by the symptoms, etc., the vet is confident it's FIP.

:blackeye:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, CJ, I am so sorry.

I would suggest taking the xrays to another vet or two. Just for peace of mind and maybe there is something else. Extra eyes are good.

If that is how it is, at least you tried. He has been warm and loved in his life rather than alone and scared. You and your husband have him that.

Sending you hugs. I know it is hard.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been watching and hoping that your beautiful boy would return to health. I'm so sorry to hear that this is in doubt. But no matter what happens, you have gifted your precious baby with love. That means more than how much time you end up having together.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! I've been hoping to hear more good news and that really isn't. But like others have said, even if he doesn't have very long with you, he'll have been warm, loved and cared for. That's worth it. And thank you and your DH for caring so much about a scruffy sick little kitten who everyone else ignored. The world needs more people like you.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
CJ, I am heartbroken for you and this sweet little kitty.. but I so agree with foxinsox..he has been loved and cared for and it's knowing that there are people in the world like you that make this world such a beautiful place. Thank you for being so kind and caring. Still sending "dust" your way..I know what a hard time this is.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no... I'm trying not to cry myself, reading this :(sad

One of my boys was diagnosed with FIP as a kitten. Our vet put him on prednisone, nutrient supplements, and antibiotics. I was very fortunate to be working remotely (from home) at the time, so I was able to hand-feed him every couple of hours, which was the only way he would eat once the prednisone kicked in... Nine years later he's healthy and happy.

Our vet was really good, and she was sure - to be honest we were all sure that our last-ditch efforts would amount to nothing. I don't know if the diagnosis was wrong, or we managed the impossible, but... I am very much hoping for that same miracle for your little darling :(sad

Thank you for caring for him, and opening your hearts to him, and giving him the chance to experience being loved and wanted.
::HUGS::

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ,

I know you and your husband are focused on what more you can do for this sweet little guy and will do whatever is possible. I'm hoping and praying for a full recovery for this cute kitten. Whatever lies ahead for this kitten, his life has been dramatically improved because of the love shown by you and your husband. Regardless of the outcome, don't discount the impact of what you have done. Thank you for the compassion you have both shown towards this little guy.

Sending big hugs.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, that is not good news. Isnt there a definitive test for it so you know one way or the other?

I am so sorry if it ends up being the case.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys.

He got worse overnight, even with nebulizing, oxygen, and antibiotics.
I spoke with my current/regular vet (who I trust most), the hospital/emergency vet, and the original (out of the area vet)...

And after our conversations with them, we decided we had to let him go.

He went in our arms this morning, on a bench outside.

I miss him terribly and our hearts hurt.

Our only consolation is that he got to play, he got feel warm and fed, and that he felt loved. He had no other option but to feel loved because I loved him.

Thank you all for your warm and caring messages and hugs.

(sorry that this is a duplicate post from the one I left on the other thread - I just don't have the energy to edit it and customize it. Just know that I appreciate all the support you have all given me - given us.)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw honey, this is not the outcome we were hoping for. :(sad I am so, so sorry for the loss of your little guy. The exact same thing happened to me many years ago when my BF brought home a kitten he found on a construction site. It was so hard on us but the consolation was knowing that he had moments of bliss with us - he was loved, was warm, fed and comfortable until he got too sick and passed. Exactly as you have done with your little guy, who had the best care and love at the end of his life. Big hugs to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results