shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you see the inclusions on your diamond...?

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.22ct SI1 and i can't see anything from the top down but i could see inclusions from the side and they really bothered me, so i had the diamond set in a bezel setting and now there's no problem with that! My ER diamond is a .90ct VVS2 and i can't see anything, even under X30 magnification.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1293081029|2804393 said:
diva rose|1293076947|2804335 said:
My diamonds are all VS2 and no I cannot see any marks on them.

I do want to purchase more diamonds for earrings and 5 stone band. Want to look at SI1 diamonds and purchase either from Brain Gavin or Whiteflash.

Is this possible to get SI1 that is eye clean on all sides and top view? Or should I be expecting some markings that will be noticed by the eye?

What sizes are you looking at? You might find SI1 0.15-0.25caraters that are clean (or largely so) from the sides.. I think your odds in the 0.35-0.5ct range and larger quickly devolve.

Around 0.25-0.3C each for the 5 stone ring in U prong setting. Size of diamonds will depend on what is recommended because I have tiny fingers. My ring size is D-D1/2 which is 2-2.25.

For earrings 0.75-0.8C each.

Hm...so for bigger sizes - I should just get VS2?
I am pretty picky - I think if I saw a mark I won't be able to help but stare at it for the whole time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diva rose|1293087915|2804462 said:
Around 0.25-0.3C each for the 5 stone ring in U prong setting. Size of diamonds will depend on what is recommended because I have tiny fingers. My ring size is D-D1/2 which is 2-2.25.

For earrings 0.75-0.8C each.

Hm...so for bigger sizes - I should just get VS2?
I am pretty picky - I think if I saw a mark I won't be able to help but stare at it for the whole time.

I think if you go with a reliable vendor you could ask them to choose the cleanest melee they can find for your ring, you might well get into the SI range that way - or if you are buying in person you might hand-pick your own melee. Just be clear about your requirements about clean from x distance from all sides. For earrings I'm afraid VS+ is most probably your only option if you don't want to see anything from the side!

My goodness - size 2?? IRL I have the smallest fingers of anyone I know and I am two sizes bigger than you - you lucky thing :halo:

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Yssie for the advice - much appreciated. :)

I have tiny hands and tiny feet but big ear lobes. Hence DH told me I have to go bigger in size for earrings otherwise my ears overwhelm the diamonds - lol.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your DH obviously has the right end of things :naughty:

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Bumping this thread up, have picked up my ring and have been looking at it everyday (not engaged yet) and have found fairly obviously inclusions. One is only noticable if you tilt it a certain direction the other is near a prong. This made me wonder why they didn't try to cover it with the prong.

I am now not sure whether I should be worried. Should it matter if I can see an inclusion? To me it is kind of like a birthmark and my SO also doesn't think anyone will notice. Should I consider returning it and trying to find something better? Should I like my ring any less? The setting is amazing the cut is triple ex and just sparkles like crazy it is E colour and the only that thing is not 100% up to my liking is the clarity. What would you do? The only reason I ask is because I care what other people think to me it is a special and makes it mine not just a random stone and to my SO we can never have the stone switched.

Thoughts?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
i am a big fan of lower-clarity diamonds. i think inclusions i can only find when i am looking for them add to their charm. you sorta have to know yourself on this one. if you're not going to be happy, maybe go for lower color, better clarity. if you can come to love the inclusions, don't worry about it. my $0.02.

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
schuende, thanks for opinion.

I just wondering whether anyone else will be able to see them. I am not sure whether people put other peoples rings right up to their eyes or whatever as I am not yet engaged. I am not sure whether I should care even if other people can notice them. I am a bit stuck on this because I don't mind them at all but I guess I am worried if other people notice them and then it might bother me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mif_|1293691473|2809663 said:
Bumping this thread up, have picked up my ring and have been looking at it everyday (not engaged yet) and have found fairly obviously inclusions. One is only noticable if you tilt it a certain direction the other is near a prong. This made me wonder why they didn't try to cover it with the prong.

I am now not sure whether I should be worried. Should it matter if I can see an inclusion? To me it is kind of like a birthmark and my SO also doesn't think anyone will notice. Should I consider returning it and trying to find something better? Should I like my ring any less? The setting is amazing the cut is triple ex and just sparkles like crazy it is E colour and the only that thing is not 100% up to my liking is the clarity. What would you do? The only reason I ask is because I care what other people think to me it is a special and makes it mine not just a random stone and to my SO we can never have the stone switched.

Thoughts?

it's a 4ct SI2, so eyeclean by most vendor definitions should not have been the expectation. Are you happy with the stone as it is, for what it is?

there are many reasons for not pronging inclusions - more severe inclusions that were better choices to prong, the inclusions were unevenly spaced for a 4/6/8/whatever prong design, they were impossible to prong for durability reasons, or there was a vthin/exthin girdle area and protection here was a priority.. why not ask?

sunnyam

Rough_Rock
When I buy, I usually have my husband look - eagle eyes as hes called. I typically dont because I dont want it to bother me. I JUST noticed mine the other day in the blazing sunlight. I was like ahhh, if it were that noticeable, I would have never bought the stone. A few days before I had taken some macro pics and didnt even notice on them- so when I went back to check the pics, it was there! I guess because I knew what I was looking for. Ugh, I had never seen an inclusion this color. It kind of looks like tan glue. Iam going to post two pics one without showing and one with arrows to the inclusion.

1.51 J/SI2

inclusion.jpg
Scroll down to see inclusion--- if you didnt see it.

inculsion.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Mif_, personally I don't mind having an inclusion that only I can see- I have an SI1 that after about six months I realized I could see just the tiniest speck if I caught the light on the facet behind it. It actually makes a *fabulous* fidget toy :rolleyes: which is silly, but since I am generally a fidgeter, I frequently will fiddle with it until I see get the light just right to see it.

Whether or not very small but still visible inclusions bother you is just... personal. I know me, I'm not a hugely picky person, and I knew *small* inclusions wouldn't annoy me. If yours don't really bother you, don't even worry about it. I guarantee IRL most people just aren't going to get close enough to your stone, or be able to truly stare at it long enough, to find them. So I wouldn't worry about *other people's* opinions on this one- just yours. People just don't really know diamonds well enough to even know what an inclusion looks like in general. Maybe, say, your mother or your best friend, if you hand your ring over to them, might spot something if they have great closeup vision, good lighting, and a some time to play with it. But the average person you run into? Nah. Most people are just going to be busy turning a light shade of green, rather than looking for tiny flaws :rodent:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I hate inclusions and never want to see any from any direction. This is why I don't go below VS1 because frankly .. I don't even want to really see them with a loupe. For gemstones, I do make exceptions for color but it still bothers me.

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1293703625|2809700 said:

Thoughts?

it's a 4ct SI2, so eyeclean by most vendor definitions should not have been the expectation. Are you happy with the stone as it is, for what it is?

there are many reasons for not pronging inclusions - more severe inclusions that were better choices to prong, the inclusions were unevenly spaced for a 4/6/8/whatever prong design, they were impossible to prong for durability reasons, or there was a vthin/exthin girdle area and protection here was a priority.. why not ask?

I love the stone. It is incredible and with the setting it is just unbelievable but it is just this tiny inclusion (probably doesn't help that it is black.... :() I cannot see it in any photos or anything but only when I tilt it or look at it under very bright lighting or direct sunlight.

I am not sure what I should do. My SO loves it thinks it's great and also says no one will notice them anyway. I am thinking that the best idea is to just keep it for a while and be on an active hunt for another stone maybe for upgrade sometime in the near future as my SO doesn't care if I want to upgrade.... I am not sure.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1293936500|2812002 said:
Personally, I hate inclusions and never want to see any from any direction. This is why I don't go below VS1 because frankly .. I don't even want to really see them with a loupe. For gemstones, I do make exceptions for color but it still bothers me.

Ditto, at least for my engagement ring, which is a VVS2. My diamond pendant is an SI1, but it's bezel-set, so I couldn't see inclusions from the side if they're visible anyway.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I have a new experience I'll contribute to the subject of seeing-inclusions.
I have an asscher that is GIA F VVS2.
Now I have an FCD, a heart that is GIA Fancy Vivid Orange Yellow, VVS2.

With a 10x loupe I can see the inclusions in the white diamond but have a VERY hard time spotting the cloud in the FCD even though it is right under the middle of the table per the inclusion plot.

I just mention this because lately more people seem to be showing an interest in FCDs.
I've always been a high-clarity snob, but I'm learning that with FCDs the color can help conceal inclusions.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an SI1 and couldn't really see the inclusions even with a loupe, when the stone was not set and I was told where to look. Once the stone was set, the inclusion was completey covered anyway. Here's a magnified image, still can barely it.

di stone.jpg

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I have a range of stones and inclusions. For earrings I don't mind so much because I cannot see them from afar. I have an SI1 and an SI2 earring and I can easily see the black carbon spots from about 10" or so. I have eagle eyes though.

On my yellow I can see the inclusion with a loupe, but I cannot see the feather with my own eye. It really blends into the stone wonderfully.

My other earrings are all VVS2-VS1 and I cannot see anything with my unaided eye.

My vintage diamond is estimated to be SI1 (we aren't unmounting just to check) but again the black carbon spot sticks out like a sore thumb.

My anniversary band has SI-I1 stones IIRC (been a while) and I can see a little black carbon on a couple. The rest look decent. I'd love to upgrade the stones on that one, but I have such a sentimental attachment to the ring that I won't now. My husband picked it and I love it just for that alone.

For me on my rings I like clear feathers. I cannot tolerate black carbon at all it seems.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mif_|1293942766|2812045 said:

Thoughts?

I love the stone. It is incredible and with the setting it is just unbelievable but it is just this tiny inclusion (probably doesn't help that it is black.... :() I cannot see it in any photos or anything but only when I tilt it or look at it under very bright lighting or direct sunlight.

I am not sure what I should do. My SO loves it thinks it's great and also says no one will notice them anyway. I am thinking that the best idea is to just keep it for a while and be on an active hunt for another stone maybe for upgrade sometime in the near future as my SO doesn't care if I want to upgrade.... I am not sure.

I think it would be sad to already be looking forward to your upgrade - and be actively unhappy with your current stone - even as you become engaged. If you are unhappy with it now you are honestly unlikely to 'get over it', so I would suggest looking for another stone better suited to your tastes. Drop a little in size, at these sizes gaining hundredths of a ct (and hundredths of a mm in spread) increases cost exponentially so you are unlikely to notice the difference between this stone and a 3.5ct when set - but you will enjoy the higher clarity I think..

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
mif_|1293942766|2812045 said:

Thoughts?

I had a much smaller SI2 with a similar inclusion -- only visible to me from certain angles. I could not get used to it and dropped color to get higher clarity. Live with it a while and see how you feel. You will know.

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your opinions. I have been staring at it today and now I can't even notice it haha. I might post a picture later on.

It is incredible. I am just being ridiculously picky I think.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
mif_|1294046274|2813017 said:
Thanks all for your opinions. I have been staring at it today and now I can't even notice it haha. I might post a picture later on.

It is incredible. I am just being ridiculously picky I think.
I think the advice is good here. If you can see it and it bothers you then maybe upgrade in the future. One of my friends got engaged and has a diamond with a noticable black inclusion. It's not massive or anything and it is slightly blocked by a prong, but it is there and you can point it out.

My friend refers to it as a freckle and loves it. I personally wouldn't be able to live with it for a ring. A clear or white feather works well for me and I can live with those way easier.

So there is no right or wrong answer to this. If you can live with it, great! There is nothing wrong with that. And if you can't, again no worries.

And inclusion isn't automatically a bad thing. You just have to decide if you can live with that type or not.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
And only you can answer if something is likely to bug you *more* over time, or less. Personally I nitpick a lot when I first get something, and then relax considerably over time about it's perceived "faults". When I first got my larger OEC i fussed over the tiny chip it has in the girdle endlessly- I probably spent a few hours trying to see it with the naked eye (can't) and louping it (wow, it looks huge through a loupe, can I really not see it?) Followed by pondering over whether or not I should risk having it polished out. Rinse and repeat. Well, after a month or so I stopped even thinking about it, hence why I never got it polished out. YMMV, though- lots of people are totally opposite of that, and will instead obsess *more* over time.

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
I think I am one who cares less over time. When I first get something I am obsessive but the more I have it or get used to it I relax, this seems to be happening. Today I was going cross eyed looking for it haha.

I dont think it is a bad thing rather I felt others might.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results