shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you rinse & spit at your dentist? Do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 7:51:59 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I don''t think everybody here really gets this. There is absolutely no difference except whether you spit out the water or whether it is suctioned! The dentist sprays the water in your mouth to rinse the teeth either way, so it''s just a matter of how the water is removed from the mouth. I think the suction is much less gross than spitting in the sink!

I think there is a difference. When you rinse and spit you get a lot more water to rinse off with and you can dislodge more crud. My dentist has a cuspidor and I''ve seen them spray it down with something between patients. I would rather deal with the germs that not be able to spit. My dentist also uses the suction but I get to spit if I ask.

Maybe we should all say what states we are in to compare? Im in CA

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 5:26:12 PM
Author: goldenstar
Maybe we should all say what states we are in to compare? Im in CA
This sort of idea is not bad...but I''m not sure what we''re comparing. I''m in MD, but here, some dentists have it, and some don''t. Newer dentists don''t seem to, but dentists with existing practices don''t seem to have to give them up.

Some sort of more aerial view could be helpful.

InlovwithJFK...calling...

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 11:03:25 PM
Author: InlovewithJHK
Hi everyone! This is actually my profession (dental student) so I''ll ask tomorrow one of the professors if there are regulations regarding rinse and spit or why you wouldn''t allow this. Feel free to shoot any dental questions my way!
Really? What year? What school? I hope you''re a least a 4th year or post grad student if you want to field questions from the public.

As far as the cuspidor thingy goes. Sure, they can be disinfected, wiped down, etc., but for those of you who have children, what do you think when your little cutie begins playing in the cuspidor when the dentist or hygienist turns her back? Do you want to trust that the hygienist or assistant remembered to spray and wipe the bowl from the last person who spit mouthfuls of blood and plaque? Believe me, I''ve seen it hundreds of times. Children are facinated with the swirlling water and I''ve even had a few of them try and put their mouths up to the water output thinking it was a fountain. Also, for those folks who think it''s OK to hawk a lugie into those bowls, be aware that they don''t go down the drain. Some poor assistant has to clean it out, all the while trying not to throw up. Grosser yet are folks who hand you their tissue full of blood and goo to throw away.

So do I care if my dentist has a cuspidor? Hell yeah. Those things can create a bacterial laden aerosol spray with that swirling water that can go almost everywhere. So many patients complain bitterly about the suction tips that are placed into their mouths but they reduce the aerosol spray that gets launched into the air to settle on surfaces throughout the room. How many times have you looked up as water was being sprayed into your mouth from the handpiece or air/water syringe and seen swirling clouds of vapor? That''s the stuff you can see, imagine what you can''t. Besides, we''re tallking about what-- two visits a year of an hour duration each? The whole idea of switching dentists to find someone who allows cuspidor spitting is pretty laughable. The most important criteria should be the talent and expertise of the doctor and staff, not the swirling ceramic mini toilet next to the chair. Good luck Regular Guy, you may get a crappy dentist along with your cuspidor!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 12:04:29 PM
Author: pearcrazy

Hi everyone! This is actually my profession (dental student) so I''ll ask tomorrow one of the professors if there are regulations regarding rinse and spit or why you wouldn''t allow this. Feel free to shoot any dental questions my way!
Really? What year? What school? I hope you''re a least a 4th year or post grad student if you want to field questions from the public.

As far as the cuspidor thingy goes. Sure, they can be disinfected, wiped down, etc., but for those of you who have children, what do you think when your little cutie begins playing in the cuspidor when the dentist or hygienist turns her back? Do you want to trust that the hygienist or assistant remembered to spray and wipe the bowl from the last person who spit mouthfuls of blood and plaque? Believe me, I''ve seen it hundreds of times. Children are facinated with the swirlling water and I''ve even had a few of them try and put their mouths up to the water output thinking it was a fountain. Also, for those folks who think it''s OK to hawk a lugie into those bowls, be aware that they don''t go down the drain. Some poor assistant has to clean it out, all the while trying not to throw up. Grosser yet are folks who hand you their tissue full of blood and goo to throw away.

So do I care if my dentist has a cuspidor? Hell yeah. Those things can create a bacterial laden aerosol spray with that swirling water that can go almost everywhere. So many patients complain bitterly about the suction tips that are placed into their mouths but they reduce the aerosol spray that gets launched into the air to settle on surfaces throughout the room. How many times have you looked up as water was being sprayed into your mouth from the handpiece or air/water syringe and seen swirling clouds of vapor? That''s the stuff you can see, imagine what you can''t. Besides, we''re tallking about what-- two visits a year of an hour duration each? The whole idea of switching dentists to find someone who allows cuspidor spitting is pretty laughable. The most important criteria should be the talent and expertise of the doctor and staff, not the swirling ceramic mini toilet next to the chair. Good luck Regular Guy, you may get a crappy dentist along with your cuspidor!

Maybe I am wrong here but I am reading SO much hostility here, why all the hostility? And why the assumption that a dentist with a cupsidor is likely to be crappy?

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, Hikerchick you ARE wrong. No hostility here. I did NOT say that a dentist with a cuspidor is likely to be crappy. Read my response again. I said that a cuspidor is not a reason to change dentists. He may change and get a good doctor with a cuspidor. He may not. The criteria of the presence of a cuspidor alone is what I think is ridiculous.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I go to a non R & S dentist and much prefer it
2.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 12:30:38 PM
Yes, Hikerchick you ARE wrong. No hostility here. I did NOT say that a dentist with a cuspidor is likely to be crappy. Read my response again. I said that a cuspidor is not a reason to change dentists. He may change and get a good doctor with a cuspidor. He may not. The criteria of the presence of a cuspidor alone is what I think is ridiculous.

The hostility was from the rest of the post not the last part I asked specifically about. Even your "response" to IloveJFK had hostility in it. If I am the only one reading hostility in your post, then it is possible I am wrong but I DID reread your post and you sound very angry to me. Just my $0.02

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
The criteria of the presence of a cuspidor alone is what I think is ridiculous.
Not exactly alone...

I''m changing dentists. The new dentist I''ve met once. Frankly, I''m not in love with him, but he comes recommended from a perfectly good database (based on many individual recommendations)...and before giving up on him, I''m trying to do some research. I saw him once, so far. I''ll see him again next Wednesday, too, for follow up.

Yesterday, I took my son to a pediatric dentist. In the same building, another dentist resides, that I last week learned had no cuspidor. I continued my research.

I noticed the pediatric dentist had one. I asked him why he thought my new dentist wouldn''t. He said it might save him some time.

Then, before leaving the building, I walked into the other dentist''s office, caught the attention of a dental hygienist. I asked her what the deal is with this cuspidor thing. She says OSHA recommends against it. I ask if a new dentist couldn''t get one...and she says they could, but they''re not recommended.

I''ll see how it is to be suctioned this coming Wednesday, I guess. The hygienist above says she gives the suctioning tube to her patients. I wasn''t given this option a month ago, when I met with the dentist, and his assistant. I also hadn''t yet met with the new hygienist for this practice yet. Maybe her style will be different.

When shopping for a dentist, how do you research? I used to ask if they used a hygienist, because once I went to one, he didn''t, and I didn''t like that. But, he seems to be one off, and I think I can stop asking that. Asking about hours kept still seems reasonable. The cuspidor is now on my list.

Pearcrazy, how would you shop for a dentist? You know...most people you ask will tell you they like their dentist, and that''s why they go to them. So, what do you learn from that? Eeny Meeny Miny Moh.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 12:51:53 PM
Author: hikerchick

The hostility was from the rest of the post not the last part I asked specifically about. Even your 'response' to IloveJFK had hostility in it. If I am the only one reading hostility in your post, then it is possible I am wrong but I DID reread your post and you sound very angry to me. Just my $0.02
You're entitled to to your opinion. I've already told you that I wasn't trying to be hostile. A bit sarcastic, but not hostile. In the part you asked specifically about, you misquoted me as saying that a dentist with a cuspidor is likely to be crappy. I said no such thing. Don't read things into my posts that aren't there. OK, now you sense some hostility from me.

As far as my response to IloveJFK, I think it is dangerous for a student to be soliciting questions from the public before he or she is licensed. If he or she wants to clarify their response by saying that they will consult with their instructor or consult their textbooks for any future questions, then that would be a better reply.

Regularguy, it sounds like you have a few items on your list. Certainly from a financial standpoint, finding an in-network dentist is an important consideration. You are right on the money about finding a dentist who employs a hygienist. Very important. Hygienists are much more proficient at it, it's all they do, all the time. It is still important to question friends and neighbors or co-workers with your same plan about their dentist. How much time is alotted for check-up appointments? An hour per adult patient is the best. How new is their equipment and how inviting is the waiting room? In my experience, you can tell a whole bunch about a dentist from just the look of his office. Dentists who aren't willling to invest in updated equipment and an inviting waiting room, usually aren't willing to learn new procedures either. How conservative is the dentist? Is he or she willing to wait on some treatment items or do you need thousands of dollars worth of work every visit? Also watch for those dentists who try to max out your plan benefits every year. Just because your plan allows a certain dollar amount of benefits every year, doesn't necessarily mean you have to use it all, unless that's what you're after. This is a good question for you to ask friends and neighbors-- how much staff turnover is there in the office? If there's a new face at every position every time you go into the office, chances are the dentist is difficult to work for. If he doesn't care about his staff, how much will he care about you and your family? I am glad that the hygienist will let you hold the suction while she cleans you teeth. I'm sure the dentist would have too if you had asked him.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry to have upset you, I was just stating my opinion and I was not trying to piss you off, which I have obviously done . . . I apologize you are upset by my interpretation of what you said.

"As far as my response to IloveJFK, I think it is dangerous for a student to be soliciting questions from the public before he or she is licensed. If he or she wants to clarify their response by saying that they will consult with their instructor or consult their textbooks for any future questions, then that would be a better reply."

Here I suggest you read her post again . . . I am pasting ti below. She did say, she will check with her professor and nothing about ask me other questions implies, she won't likely check on those with her professor as well. You might have read that into her post? Anyway, like I said I just merely stated MY OPINION on how I READ your post, I am sorry to have upset you.

Hi everyone! This is actually my profession (dental student) so I'll ask tomorrow one of the professors if there are regulations regarding rinse and spit or why you wouldn't allow this. Feel free to shoot any dental questions my way!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 2:27:27 PM
Author: hikerchick
I am sorry to have upset you, I was just stating my opinion and I was not trying to piss you off, which I have obviously done . . . I apologize you are upset by my interpretation of what you said.

''As far as my response to IloveJFK, I think it is dangerous for a student to be soliciting questions from the public before he or she is licensed. If he or she wants to clarify their response by saying that they will consult with their instructor or consult their textbooks for any future questions, then that would be a better reply.''

Here I suggest you read her post again . . . I am pasting ti below. She did say, she will check with her professor and nothing about ask me other questions implies, she won''t likely check on those with her professor as well. You might have read that into her post? Anyway, like I said I just merely stated MY OPINION on how I READ your post, I am sorry to have upset you.

Hi everyone! This is actually my profession (dental student) so I''ll ask tomorrow one of the professors if there are regulations regarding rinse and spit or why you wouldn''t allow this. Feel free to shoot any dental questions my way!Let it go already.
20.gif
You keep insisting on knowing how I was feeling even though I''ve told you otherwise. Why do you feel it is still necessary to point out YOUR opinion on my intent when I''ve told you otherwise. I got it the first time. You don''t need to keep pasting and commenting on things. I did re-read Inlovewith JHK''s post several times. I still come to the same conclusion and it differs from yours. I am entitled. Enough already.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Please people...
Just for comparison reasons i tell you that MY dentist back 25 years ago did 2 front root-canals without any freezing or analgesic, separate days though.
Both teeth were perpendicular to the gum at the time due to injury anyway so she decided not to bother.
Honestly i don''t care about rinsing and spitting too much since...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Nope to both questions.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I asked one of my professors and didn''t get a very thorough response so I was going to wait until I talked to a clinic professor on Tuesday.

Pearcrazy, I don''t really feel comfortable sharing that information with you but I want to make it clear that I didn''t claim to know everything, rather I would ask one of my professors if any of you had a particular question. I didn''t mean to start such a fuss, just trying to be helpful! I''m sorry I didn''t clarify my question to your liking before. I most certainly wasn''t trying to be "dangerous". Are you in the dental profession? I must have missed when you said that.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Pearcrazy- I just looked at your old posts and saw that you are a dental hygienist. I''m sure you know much more about this topic than I do with your years of experiance in the field. You have over 20 years as a hygienist? that is just a few years less than I''ve been alive.
1.gif
Maybe I''ll defer my dental questions to you.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
To answer the questions...nope, my dentist doesn''t do the rinse-n-spit technique. He uses the suction. I''ve never thought about it, but I might prefer it this way. I''ve been going to this guy for a long time. Holding the suction thing has always been my job, and he always gives me plenty of water to rinse with. Sometimes I think it would be nice to take a swig of water and spit it all out, but it''s technically the same thing as sucking it all out isn''t it?

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 4:29:39 PM
Pearcrazy- I just looked at your old posts and saw that you are a dental hygienist. I'm sure you know much more about this topic than I do with your years of experiance in the field. You have over 20 years as a hygienist? that is just a few years less than I've been alive.
1.gif
Maybe I'll defer my dental questions to you.
Yup, 21 years of hygiene, as well as 4 handed dental assisting and office management mixed in. Heck, I was even engaged to a dental student long ago who broke my heart. I spent many after hours with him in lab helping him pour up models and watching him wax up his "blueberries" (do they even call them that any more? I mean wax ups for investing gold crowns ). However, don't defer any questions to me unless they are in the scope of my personal knowledge. Hygiene and office management I know well, but don't ask me a question about restorative. I've seen it done a million times but never actually picked up a drill or extracted a tooth etc. That was sort of what I was getting at when I responded to what you said above, I do apologize as it seems to have come off snippy, it wasn't meant to be.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Pearcrazy, I did feel a little intimidated by your posts but I assumed that you were just trying to maintain the integrity of your profession and didn''t want a lowly dental student like me giving out bad advise.
2.gif
I tend to be on the sensitive side though.

As for dental school... I still have a long way to go. I have yet to do a crown and, obviously, I am still working in the preclinic. So far, my scope of knowledge in terms of restorative includes amalgam and composite fillings and if you give me a looong time, I could make you a denture. See if you can guess what year I''m in from that
2.gif

I wouldn''t have the slightest idea about office management and my hygeine knowledge is basic at best. The first time I used a perio probe (on fellow classmates), I was shocked at how much bleeding I could cause
32.gif
Luckily, I''ve improved since then!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
First, Pearcrazy has every reason to be hostile to those pesky plaque germs round and about the air, etc
2.gif
. Those plaque particles are the full of concentrated and deadly bacteria. I''m not an antibiotic at the drop of the hat kind of gal; but, when I was given a lesson in the nature of "plaque", I gladly took those dopey antibiotics.

Second, my dentist does my cleaning - always has. He has an assistant present sometimes. He is VERY thorough. There is much more to a dentist than the cleaning. I would be most interested in a dentist that took a whole ENT type approach. My dentist fully examines all aspects of my mouth, jaw, tongue & all tissue. The cleaning keeps him inside my mouth for quite a while. He checks for ANY suspicious lesion. My MIL''s dentist did not. My MIL dentist didn''t even check her tounge. My MIL died 2 months after being diagnosed w/ Oral Cancer. Her tongue had to be removed. It was too late. The dentist didn''t seem to see, feel or know about the 4cm growth on her tongue even when she complained about hurting. The dentist said the lack of mobility of the tongue was due to her age.
20.gif
This is a women who never smoked nor drank. Something left on the table for the cancer - poor dental work.

Just a reality check that far more is at stake when selecting a dentist than a rinse and spit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results