shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog Can you propose with a fake engagement ring?

bcmacdonald

Staff member

PriceScopeKayti published a new blog post.
Fake ring!? Should we clutch our proverbial pearls? Maybe it’s not such a bad idea after all, in fact after putting some time and thought into it…I approve. Let’s talk about the fake engagement ring trend.
The name is misleading, we aren’t suggesting spending your whole married life with a fake ring. What this trend entails is...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I think this is a great trend! My wife and I got married with simple 14k WG bands from a discount online seller, because our plan was that she would have 100% freedom to find the ring that she was going to wear as the symbol of our union.

It worked out so well for us that one piece of advice that I often give to folks asking for help and advice is to forego such high amounts of focus on the ring and put as much of the overall budget into the diamond. Reason being is that the diamond can be moved from one setting to another much more easily and cost effective, plus letting the wearer make the final decision is a great way to give them a sense of inclusiveness in the relationship in regards to the symbol of that relationship.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got engaged after shopping together in 1979. I got a .35 diamond solitaire which was normal size for the time. I’m glad we shopped together because he had no idea what to get. I’m guessing I would have hated what he picked. I recommend every guy let his lady pick her ring!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on your partner ie their expectations.
I think people (men and women) these days are more interested in the process being a joint creation.
And not everyone wants a ring, I’ve seen “engagement“ bracelets and even necklaces. Some professions dont lend themselves to you wearing anything more than a gold band, and sometimes not even that.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of people can't give up the idea of the proposal being a COMPLETE surprise and are resistant to the idea of choosing a ring out together beforehand. I think this is a nice way for people to choose together while still retaining the 100% surprise element if that is important. Personally I think that's a bit silly because you theoretically should have some idea that someone will propose to you and have talked about it, so shopping together for a ring shouldn't ruin anything, but people are weird.

I guess don't buy a placeholder ring your budget can't match in natural diamond though!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
We got engaged after shopping together in 1979. I got a .35 diamond solitaire which was normal size for the time. I’m glad we shopped together because he had no idea what to get. I’m guessing I would have hated what he picked. I recommend every guy let his lady pick her ring!
Same for me, except in 1974. Even together, we narrowed our choice down to two, then I had trouble deciding. Now hubby left it up to me, but we discussed, and I chose a 0.26 ct ring, which I have never upgraded.

But I DO have a 2ct right hand ring now….

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not believe there is a written rule that one has to propose with a real diamond/CS ring in hand.

My ex-hubby did not, and I was given the freedom to choose my ER within a mutually agreed budget.

DK :))

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An engagement ring is a punctuation mark for a proposal. It’s different than a wedding ring. They can be the same ring, of course, or not a ring at all, but it serves as a way of underlining that both the giver and the recipient are serious. ‘Fake’ is a harsh word. It cancels out the whole point so I would say no, don’t fake it. It doesn’t need to be expensive, it doesn’t need to be a diamond. It doesn’t even need to be a ring, but what it does need is to be real.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been trying to stay silent on this but since Neil opened the door.
I know people who got engaged with "place holder" rings, just gold bands.
One that was several years later and is all she has is the gold band and she wants it that way.

Frankly calling them fake rings is very highly insulting.
Even if its a base metal ring and a paste stone there is nothing "fake" about it. Its their E-Ring.
I get it, diamond board so kinda elitist but what the hay!

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
One that was several years later and is all she has is the gold band and she wants it that way.

Even if its a base metal ring and a paste stone there is nothing "fake" about it. Its their E-Ring.

The author is simply using the most click-bait-y-est title possible to make sure people would get emotional and want to read the blog post.

If it simply said "can you propose with a temporary ring, and then later work together with the spouse to get the ring just right?" ... the number of views would be much less and the author would get less $ or fewer future commissions for blogs.

Whatever it takes to get that Pagerank up on Google.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The author is simply using the most click-bait-y-est title possible to make sure people would get emotional and want to read the blog post.

If it simply said "can you propose with a temporary ring, and then later work together with the spouse to get the ring just right?" ... the number of views would be much less and the author would get less $ or fewer future commissions for blogs.

yea I know, that's why I as trying to let it go.

PriceScopeKayti

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member

I actually mentioned in the blog that I think "Fake" is the wrong word for it, even if that is what they are calling the trend. I agree with you.

PriceScopeKayti

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member

When I was doing research for this blog the trend was called the "fake ring engagement." I prefer placeholder, which I address in the copy.

That said, I love discussions in the comments. I appreciate the feedback! <3

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
Can-You-Propose-With-A-Fake-Engagement-Ring-blog-post-1024x576.png

PriceScopeKayti published a new blog post.

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

The chance of someone else choosing a ring I'd be 100% happy with is pretty much zero. I'd rather have a Haribo ring than an expensive mistake. I'll choose my own lifelong jewellery piece thank you very much :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results