shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you give me your opinion on this diamond

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
I have a diamond on reserve at James Allen and have gotten the opinion of an online diamond pro - she feels its a good stone compared to another that I had previously reserved. I like it but my only reservation is that the online still photo looks less clear than the others I like. I did an HCA and it scores 1.3 and I did the AGA/NAJA and it was a 1A in all categories. The GIA report says the grade is affected by brillianteering. Is the haziness I'm seeing online a result of perhaps using a different camera/settings by the vendor or something about the diamond? This is a Christmas & Anniversary upgrade gift. I would like to order the diamond today or tomorrow at the latest so we can get their Black Friday setting sale. Here's the diamond I have reserved:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-very-good-cut-sku-681599

Here's the first diamond I reserved that I took off reserve. I liked everything about it except the black spec on the table. The diamond pro I was emailing felt the stone wouldn't be eye clean so that scared me away from that stone. The photo looks nice - more clear. The fluorescence on this stone doesn't bother me.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-723948

And lastly here's another stone I found that I haven't gotten an opinion on from the diamond pro I've been emailing. This has an si2 clarity rating and I see the most obvious flaw on the table, but it looks white and may not be noticeable by eye. In the photo the diamond looks more clear than my reserved stone.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-j-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-727998

What is your opinion of my reserved stone? This is a gift and my husband is selecting the setting - so there will be somewhat of a surprise for me on Christmas day. However, I'd like to be happy with the stone and not have to return it after Christmas. My budget is not in the realm of getting a perfect stone - but I want a decent looking, sparkly stone and I like the J color! My original diamond is a .79 i color with an si2 clarity. I don't know any of the other details - as I never got a GIA cert with it - only GIA info on my sales ticket - 30 years ago!

Is one of the other 2 stones better than my reserved stone? Thanks for you input!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first stone has the right numbers but it looks overly dark to me.

You need to call JA, ask which stones are eye-clean, ask about getting idealscope images for the eye-clean ones and then
ask for a gemologist to compare/contrast the 3 stones. Best to get the information from JA.

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for responding tyty. We have already placed the order for the reserved diamond. I didn't ask if it was in their possession but I know the first stone I reserved was not in their possession and they couldn't tell me if it was eye clean. I was told that all vs2's are eye clean, but I feared the black spec could be visible. So I went ahead with the other reserved stone, which is my first link. I will see what it looks like when it arrives and hope it's brighter than it appears online. I'm hoping the darkness is due to the photography. I'm happy to hear that the numbers on it are good though, so maybe the stone will be what I'm hoping for.

I just checked with James Allen and unfortunately, they have stopped requests for ideal scopes till January 2 due to the holiday rush. So I will just have to view my diamond with my eyes (and a loupe) on Christmas day and see what I've gotten!

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
I ordered the 1.50 stone mentioned above that has brillianteering and had it set (hubby picked it out) and I have not seen it yet. It's going to be a Christmas gift. However I have continued to keep looking at diamonds at James Allen just in case something came along that will be better. I have found this stone:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-803269

I have reserved it just in case I decide to purchase it and have the 2 stones to compare and decide which I want. It has an inclusion on the table but looks white to me - and I doubt I'd see it by eye. The HCA is a 1.8 (compared to 1.3 of first stone) and the AGA/NAJA is 2b (compared to 1a of first stone). The low pavilion of 2nd stone brings down the score.

Here's a link to the stone I've already bought and is in the setting my husband selected - it has brillianteering:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-very-good-cut-sku-681599

I don't have ASETS, IS, .srn's or anything that will tell me of light leakage. I just have the rotationg photos on the JA website. Of course they are done by different cameras and the ones that were at the NY site for JA all seem to look hazy - which is where the stone we already bought was located. The new stone is outside NY.

What do you think? Go ahead and purchase the new stone (1.51) and have it sent to physically compare to the one we bought first? (1.50)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results