shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you bezel an aqua?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I just bought this stone, Gem 304, the last one on this page:

http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Aquamarine.html

I know aqua doesn''t have a high R.I. so would it be o.k. in a thin bezel, white gold, for a pendant? I''m thinking thin bezel as I can see this stone in it and it may deepen the color, which is a bit light.

I know it''s not the best aqua but I like the chunky cushion cut and it fit a prong pendant setting that I already had (but am not rethinking).

I''ve never had a real aqua before, only mall aquas. Big Difference ! !

Oh, and it doesn''t have dark spots like it seems in the photo.

Thanks, dear friends.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
dunno if you can bezel- but that looks Gorgeous. Very antique looking or something!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mousey !!

Large facet lover here.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I believe so and I think it would make the aqua darker..

ETA: Your stone is very pretty... Are you a March baby?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can bezel an aqua. Just make sure you get an experienced benchperson to do the job!

Congrats on your new aqua!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Yes you can. I am sending my aqua out for a bezel setting right now!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all.

--Are you a March baby? ---

No. Are you, Mochi? It''s just a pretty, peaceful color.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 9:45:00 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks all.

--Are you a March baby? ---

No. Are you, Mochi? It''s just a pretty, peaceful color.

Yes...so I was just curious.
1.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sure it can be bezel set, and it would probably make it look a bit darker as well. I think that I''d make a point of having the sides of the bezel pierced in some design, since having some openings would tend to break up any heavy dark areas as the stone tilts and windows to the sides of the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely BUT make sure the benchperson doing the work is experienced with gemstones other than sapphires and is confident of being able to do it. I think it''d be lovely as it''ll darken the blue a little.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. Thanks Michael & Chrono (with her new Awesome OMC). The benchperson I use is wonderful, with great prices, too, but I'll (subtly) remind him anyway.

Hmm . . . , bezel with semi-solid/pierced/filagree(?) sides. I understand and really do appreciate your input, Michael. I don't think I've ever seen one, trying to recall.

(While I like bezels, I've had one bezel disaster already. Set a white zircon that "died" (lost all brilliance & fire) when it went into a bezel pendant.)

Anyone know of a photo of a bezel with those kind of sides?

Thanks.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
something like this? from Stuller filligree bezel

filligreebezelsidestuller1.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops the first is an earring charm,.. but here is one for a pendant

filligreebezelsidestuller2.JPG

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DT. You are always sooooo helpful.

Say, isn't Marie's aqua & setting amazing? That stone is really something else !

---

Yanno, I wonder if that kind of side would have prevented the white zircon from going lifeless when it got bezeled. Probably. Eeesh - learning can be expensive !!
40.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2009 9:28:56 PM
Thanks DT. You are always sooooo helpful.

Say, isn't Marie's aqua & setting amazing? That stone is really something else !

---

Yanno, I wonder if that kind of side would have prevented the white zircon from going lifeless when it got bezeled. Probably. Eeesh - learning can be expensive !!
40.gif
your welcome anytime
1.gif
everyone here is so helpful to me as well. But yes, her Aqua is sure amazing and the setting is just perfect. ooh so sorry about your zircon, Can you change it out maybe down the road? oh, I know what you mean about expensive lesson to learn, did that three time with my e-ring setting
7.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, the zircon will probably stay where it is. It''s a not very expensive stone in a setting that cost more than twice as much than the stone did.

Alas . . .

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/4/2009 9:28:56 PM

40.gif

No, that sort of side would not have done anything for the zircon I''m afraid, (since you can''t see the sides of the bezel except through the tilt window of the stone as it''s tilted...or your perspective changes). More than likely what happened was that the stone was cut with angles which only showed good fire very close to the girdle of the stone. When the bezel was pressed down, it partially covered that zone which was responsible for the fire display. The fix ? Turn the bezel setting into a "crenelated" setting by notching the upper bezel with a sharp graver. By trimming the upper bezel appropriately, (fairly wide notches), you should get at least part of the fire back into the stone. It''s cheap and at least worth a try !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results