shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you add a halo to an existing setting?

NicNac

Rough_Rock
I love my engagement ring but I've been considering getting a halo put around the center stone. The only thing is, I picked my ring specifically and I don't want to change the original setting or stones. Is there a way to have a halo added to my original setting? Would appreciate any information, or advice from anyone who may have had this done rather than upgrading to a premade halo setting. Thanks!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on what your current ring looks like. I know that you can order different heads for some rings and they do have ones with halos. If your ring is the right style its just a matter of removing the current basket/Head and soldering a new one in its place.
You should post a picture of your ring to give us a better idea of what it looks like and if something like this is possible. More specifically a side view and a view of the underside of the basket.

NicNac

Rough_Rock
pink_bridal_feature.jpg

pink_bridal_cu.jpg

pink_bridal_profile.jpg

Hope that works, lol! Thanks so much for your help!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Yea, that looks like a peg head, so it should be fairly easy to remove it.

The question is what you'd replace it with - how high you want the halo (and if you'd like it at that heigh), how it'll incorporate into your current ring since the halo has to sit above the side stones, which appear to be somewhat high up. You'll need to talk to a jeweler about the specific details. I'd find a good benchman to work with.

Blossom

Rough_Rock

Iluvprettyrocks

Shiny_Rock
That is a really good question! I hope there are more responses to your question...My fiance may be able to do the same with my ring instead of buying a whole new setting...

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Nadiamo, I guess it depends what you'd like to do? The head for your AVC is integrated into the setting. It's unlikely anything major can happen without altering the setting completely, and even then, it might not be worth it. If you only wanted to switch out the stone (say, for something slightly bigger or perhaps a round brilliant, it might not be that much trouble).

With peg heads like Nicnac's, the peg head can be removed fairly easily. As the name suggests, the head is a peg, and fits into a hole made in the shank. They are then soldered together.

nadiamo

Rough_Rock
iota15|1303957101|2906748 said:
Nadiamo, I guess it depends what you'd like to do? The head for your AVC is integrated into the setting. It's unlikely anything major can happen without altering the setting completely, and even then, it might not be worth it. If you only wanted to switch out the stone (say, for something slightly bigger or perhaps a round brilliant, it might not be that much trouble).

With peg heads like Nicnac's, the peg head can be removed fairly easily. As the name suggests, the head is a peg, and fits into a hole made in the shank. They are then soldered together.

Thanks iota15! I'm not planning on changing the stone. If there is anyway I could keep most part of the setting but just adding the halo around the stone, that would be great. Maybe I will talk to GOG see if they have any suggestion. And you are right, if the price for alternation is too much, it won't worth it. I still would be happy with what I have now :)

Iluvprettyrocks

Shiny_Rock
@ NicNac

I'm wondering if you repost this under "Rocky Talk" if you'll get more responses, since that's what that forum is more geared towards (Issues relating to...settings)

Ice Princess

Rough_Rock
I did with mine!

But I was very specific about keeping as much of my original setting as possible. While it's not exact (solitaire to halo), it's pretty close. I love it!

Iluvprettyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Ice Princess|1304002924|2907005 said:
I did with mine!

But I was very specific about keeping as much of my original setting as possible. While it's not exact (solitaire to halo), it's pretty close. I love it!

Really?! Your ring is Beautiful :love: Do you have any before and after pics with profile views too?

NicNac

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your input!! You guys are great!

emeralddreams

Rough_Rock
This is my dilemma, too. We are currently deciding on getting a custom ring with a halo, or adding a halo down the line so it is not so pricey right now to get the ring. I haven't even been able to find the cost to add a halo anywhere online.

Ice Princess

Rough_Rock
Before (double-claw prong solitaire), plain plat shank

After (double-claw prong halo w/ pave diamonds)- a custom light and "airy" design allowing for the full brilliance of the centre stone. I LOVE it!

The previous design was preserved as much as possible w/ the exception of pave diamonds on the shank sides. Also, my jeweller did not split the prongs below the halo for the simple reason of added "strength". She felt that splitting them or adding pave to them would weaken the prongs.

Hope this helps. Bottom line, communicate w/ your jeweller and make your intentions/love known!

It's a Royal pain uploading these photos. PS should have a better system :angryfire:

Rose Halo profile.jpg

Acura Halo I.jpg

PS Halo I.jpg

PS Sol II.jpg

Iluvprettyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Ice Princess|1304006885|2907051 said:
Before (double-claw prong solitaire), plain plat shank

After (double-claw prong halo w/ pave diamonds)- a custom light and "airy" design allowing for the full brilliance of the centre stone. I LOVE it!

The previous design was preserved as much as possible w/ the exception of pave diamonds on the shank sides. Also, my jeweller did not split the prongs below the halo for the simple reason of added "strength". She felt that splitting them or adding pave to them would weaken the prongs.

Hope this helps. Bottom line, communicate w/ your jeweller and make your intentions/love known!

It's a Royal pain uploading these photos. PS should have a better system :angryfire:

Thank you SO much, Ice Princess, for posting the pics!!! This was a huge help to me.... :appl:

Thank you NicNac for starting this thread! :D

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Just curious what price range this would cost?
Anyone know?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Emeralddreams - this is a custom job. Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to find the costs online. It'll be different for each setting (how much they have to take apart, keep, add; whether the original setting is stable, has the ability to sustain the new halo, etc.). It's impossible for someone to give you a price without at least seeing a picture of your setting, or having it in hand unfortunately.

Ice Princess

Rough_Rock
iota15|1304018154|2907218 said:
Emeralddreams - this is a custom job. Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to find the costs online. It'll be different for each setting (how much they have to take apart, keep, add; whether the original setting is stable, has the ability to sustain the new halo, etc.). It's impossible for someone to give you a price without at least seeing a picture of your setting, or having it in hand unfortunately.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post

Tiffyshmeaks

Rough_Rock
I need help! Wondering if I could change my whole setting to make one big engagement ring ... I know it's bad luck to wear my band but it's a jacket for my marquise ... And I really want my grandmothers ring to be the wedding band .. is it possible to take all the diamonds from the jacket to make a halo?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results