shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this be for real?

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
My mother and I visited a jewelry store in San Francisco. We found a beautiful ruby and diamond ring but had a hard time believing if it was what they claimed it was. Here's the specs they told us:
Center Ruby stone: .96ct (the vendor stated it was a Burmese Ruby)
Rd diamonds: .28 tcw
Bg diamonds: .39 tcw
The metal was either platinum or 18K white gold (can't remember)

The price tag said $5000, but she said she can sell it for $2900. I asked if it is accompanied by a certificate and she said "no", she can only give me an appraisal if I wanted one.

Thoughts?

img_8678.jpg

img_8679.jpg

img_0213.jpg

img_0214.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is entirely possible if the ruby is both lead filled and diffused. Did they state the treatment of the ruby?

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
No she was quite vague in her responses and glossed over specific questions. I know what lead-filled means, but what is "diffused"? The only treatment I am alright with re: rubies is heat but no other treatments.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
if you are not ok with any other treatments, stick to stones that have certificates from a reputable source. if they don't have the paperwork you have to assume the worst

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diffusion is a way of brightening/intensifying the saturation of corundum via high heat treatment and adding chemicals that basically change the stone's color. Its far more invasive than regular heat. But I bet that stone has been lead glass filled.

Anyway, here is something you might find that helps you understand - its the thread geared towards newcomers, but it has something in there about diffusion that hopefully will help you out:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1437065444|3903609 said:
It is entirely possible if the ruby is both lead filled and diffused. Did they state the treatment of the ruby?

That would be my guess as well. Untreated genuine Burmese rubies cost a small fortune these days. It is currently illegal to import Burmese rubies into the US. A lot of vendors are also clueless they will say something is Burmese when they have no proof of origin and have no idea other than it's bright red and they think they can get away with it. A lot of cheap treated rubies come out of Vietnam and Africa. If the ruby has no certificate from a reliable lab they cannot clearly prove where it came from or what treatments it has had.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I would steer clear......to many red flags.
Hi ya!!!!! Chrono and Minous :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett|1437194109|3904381 said:
I would steer clear......to many red flags.
Hi ya!!!!! Chrono and Minous :wavey:

Hi Mr. Barrett! I see you've been keeping busy finding beautiful quartz - and some rare ammie at that! I hope it is as rare and unique as it seems to be and you get written up somewhere and get to name the find! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results