shape
carat
color
clarity

Can my employer force me to..........

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe all 50 states have their own laws covering employment.
If so it would be hard to answer.

Perhaps there is some state government entity that could answer your question.

I agree with this. In some states, you are always an employee at will, in others, maybe not.
My company requires all new hires to have a background check, and a re-check every three years because we handle escrow funds. I don't think criminal records checks are uncommon; many jobs require them when they hire someone new.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure of US employment regulations but I agree with the others, simply tell your employer you aren’t comfortable with the request and ask for alternatives. It’s obviously not the employer who wants the checks for the pass - it’s the military and they have every right to do so. It’s the same here (Oz) and in my job I’m required to have security clearance. The background checks are for their safety and I had nothing to hide so happily obliged. Providing photo ID, birth certificate and proof of residency is a fairly basic demand for military, nothing out of the ordinary.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
.....get a pass to go onto the military base?
I work for a national retail company. They have people that go to the commissaries on military bases to do work there, but that is not my group.
As it turns out, they started a new program, and suddenly they want me and some of my co-workers to do retail work in the commissaries. This means that I will have to get a DBIDS/SECNAV pass to get in.
I am not comfortable with this, as I understand it entails a background check, fingerprinting, face and iris analysis, etc. And I have to provide my birth certificate and proof of residency.
I have nothing to hide, but this rubs me the wrong way.
Can my employer force me to get this pass?

Contact a lawyer who specializes in your state's labor law.

Any employer cannot force you to do anything. This kind of thing pisses me off.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a government employee who works on a military installation, I had to have fingerprints (redone every 5 years I believe) and background check. I am a Program Manager and don't work with any "special populations" (ie. kids) but I think that is standard process to work on the installation. Face and Iris analysis? perhaps for SECRET and Top SECRET areas maybe but not in general.
Commissaries are controlled by DECA, exchange areas are either MCX, Affes

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a government employee who works on a military installation, I had to have fingerprints (redone every 5 years I believe) and background check. I am a Program Manager and don't work with any "special populations" (ie. kids) but I think that is standard process to work on the installation. Face and Iris analysis? perhaps for SECRET and Top SECRET areas maybe but not in general.
Commissaries are controlled by DECA, exchange areas are either MCX, Affes

My company has not given us much information yet on what documents we will be required to show and what kind of screenings will happen.
I have researched online about what is needed and what screenings need to happen on my own. I did read about face and iris analysis for passes, but again, this information is vague.
I'm not military so how can I know what this pass entails? I am researching this on my own at this point.
I'm pretty sure my company will be tight lipped about this and let us find out about the details as they come up.
They have not been very open with details, other than saying we must provide 2 forms of ID.
In fact, they are saying that we have to reach out ourselves to someone on the base to put this thing in motion.
They are basically dropping it in our laps.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely a form like this https://www.nrl.navy.mil/system/files/content/SECNAV_ 5512_fillable.pdf
As you can see it requests your employers info

Then you would be issued a CAC (Comman Access Card) when you go to get your card you have to come up with a 4 digit pin and press your thumb on the pad so it has your print info. From then on you show this CAC card to gain base access. Sometimes guards at gate just pass your through when you show sometimes they scan your card with their reader to make sure it's you and that it's not a counterfeit card.

More on

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely a form like this https://www.nrl.navy.mil/system/files/content/SECNAV_ 5512_fillable.pdf

Then you would be issued a CAC (Comman Access Card) when you go to get your card you have to come up with a 4 digit pin and press your thumb on the pad so it has your print info. From then on you show this CAC card to gain base access. Sometimes guards at gate just pass your through when you show sometimes they scan your card with their reader to make sure it's you and that it's not a counterfeit card.

More on

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've seen this form.
So my company is expecting 220 people nationwide to apply and get approved for this pass to start retail work on the bases by February.

I'm sure there will be lots of snags. I understand you have to prove residency and show proof of car insurance. That alone will be an issue for some.
What if someone has a warrant out for their arrest? DH says he knows a lady who is wanted for a traffic ticket!

Oh well. I guess I have to shut up and comply. I'm not about to lose this job over it.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've seen this form.
So my company is expecting 220 people nationwide to apply and get approved for this pass to start retail work on the bases by February.

I'm sure there will be lots of snags. I understand you have to prove residency and show proof of car insurance. That alone will be an issue for some.
What if someone has a warrant out for their arrest? DH says he knows a lady who has is wanted for a traffic ticket!

Is your company working as a direct contractor or as a sub contractor?

I will say that if someone has a warrant, they should NOT be filling this stuff out.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

More on

Not sure if the MIL has also adopted HSPD-12 card system, but, those cards have minimum of 8 digit pin. Those cards are all the same; PIV, CAC, LincPass, etc.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I will tell you pretty much what I know and from a non MIL standpoint but still DoD:

Depending on your company and your position, you will be required to fill out an SF85P Public Trust form or SF86 National Security form. Yes they're invasive as heck. SF is just a standard form, which in this case these are used for employment purposes.

Make sure ANY form you fill out has the OMB number and expiration date displayed in the upper right hand corner. OMB denotes that the forms themselves have been fully vetted and sent out for public comments. This is standard and for public knowledge. Never fill out a form without these 2 items displayed nor fill out a form past its expiration date, especially for employment with the federal goverment.

Those forms have supplementals and you could be required to fill them out. They go back 7 years (used to be 10) and they ask EVERYTHING. Fill these forms out in their entirety. you will be asked to make an appointment at a center to enter all that information into a computer and this can save you a lot of time.

You might be required at that time to do biometrics. You won't get a card at that time.

If MIL is also using HSPD-12, you will be required to get one. Anytime you are in a federal building or on a base you must have this card prominently displayed at all times. If you're not a main contractor, they will work to set up the appointments for you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My company has not given us much information yet on what documents we will be required to show and what kind of screenings will happen.
I have researched online about what is needed and what screenings need to happen on my own. I did read about face and iris analysis for passes, but again, this information is vague.
I'm not military so how can I know what this pass entails? I am researching this on my own at this point.
I'm pretty sure my company will be tight lipped about this and let us find out about the details as they come up.
They have not been very open with details, other than saying we must provide 2 forms of ID.
In fact, they are saying that we have to reach out ourselves to someone on the base to put this thing in motion.
They are basically dropping it in our laps.
[/QUOTE
New year's is a great time to start looking for a new job
Your employer doesn't sound overly helpful and have sh#t communication skills which is often a symptom of other rot

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to update this thread.
I jumped through all the hoops and got the pass. My boss got his, too.
This required many emails and several calls to persons on the base, forms filled out online, the background check, showing up to the base for photos, etc.
One week after acquiring the pass, my company, in all their wisdom, decided to scrap the project.

The company I work for is run by very smart people.
. 1612621050295.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to update this thread.
I jumped through all the hoops and got the pass. My boss got his, too.
This required many emails and several calls to persons on the base, forms filled out online, the background check, showing up to the base for photos, etc.
One week after acquiring the pass, my company, in all their wisdom, decided to scrap the project.

The company I work for is run by very smart people.
. 1612621050295.png

Lol @stracci2000 I just spit out the water I was drinking :lol:
I’m sorry you had to do all that just for the company to crap out. Oy. Wisdom is certainly lacking. :/

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol @stracci2000 I just spit out the water I was drinking :lol:
I’m sorry you had to do all that just for the company to crap out. Oy. Wisdom is certainly lacking. :/

I'm laughing about it now, but I was pretty mad when I found out.
The reason they gave was "The military team will handle this"
As far as my boss and I know, there is no military team in my area.

Personally, I think they hit too many snags in forcing people to comply, and that some bases are not handing out passes like candy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results