shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I swap out my center stone?

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! Question about resetting my 3 stone moissanite ering, which currently has a 6 mm center stone and two 4 mm side stones. Turns out that diamonds aren't the only gems with shrinkage syndrome. I don't want to change the setting, but could the ring be retrofitted with a 6.5 or even 7 mm stone?

I searched the forum for info about resets, but most PSers seem to want to put their original stones into new settings. I have the opposite problem, lol.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably the best way to go about this would be to ask a Caysie since she designed the ring, she would be able to tell you how much leeway (if any) the center can hold.

Are you going with another moissanite for the upgrade? I loved your three stone back them and still love it.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Oh, asking Caysie is a good call--I didn't think of that. In the name of saving money, I will almost certainly go with Jon's moissanite again...although lab diamonds sure are tempting. I'd have to price it out.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
You can ask, but I don't think it'll accommodate much larger stones. I had a RHR where I swapped out a 8mm round moissanite for a 8.15mm round gemstone, and while it did fit, having to take out and re-do the prongs made the ring slightly less fluid and "swoopy" than before. (Claw prongs, nice and delicate). And that was done by an exceptional jeweler. I do notice the slight difference though in size, in a good way. But I really, really wouldn't mess with your rings unless you're sure. You're going to lose the airtight execution you got for having that exact setting fit those exact stones. IMO, the best way to deal with diamond shrinkage syndrome is wear a plain or a pavé band for a while. Or, if you want something blingier, design an anniversary ring you can swap out. I don't think it's worth the money to re-cut stones and re-set and risk your original setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results