carat
color
clarity

Can I see your plain gold hoops?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi and happy new year PriceScope!

I’m hankering after some 18k solid gold (but hollow in shape) hoops; can you believe I don’t have a single pair in my current collection!

I’m totally a drop earrings girl and I love the idea of hoops but guess I just never got around to replacing my old ones until now? I used to own a couple of high karat gold hoops in the past but both pairs broke.

For now I’m undecided on if I want the width of the hoops to be thick or thin? I know I want the overall size to be 30mm, but do I go with 1mm thickness or around 3mm thickness?

Please can I see your hoops (would be so perfect if they were earshots) whether you have fat or thin hoops to help me make up my mind!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I don't have any ear shots but after watching the Netflix show Clickbait I was very taken with this style of octagonal hoops that one of the main characters was wearing throughout the series. I found what looked like a similar pair from ross-simons.com and ordered them and am very happy with them. They are light weight so I assume hollow but they are exactly what I was looking for.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are not exactly plain but they are hollow gold hoops and they are 30mm in size and about 4mm thick.

IMG_1151 (002).jpg IMG_1152 (002).jpg IMG_1158 (002).jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone I’m so grateful! After seeing your gorgeous pics I’m feeling even more impatient to buy some hoops.

@lala646 thanks so much for both pictures it really helps me to see the difference between thicker vs thinner hoops. I think I need one of each :) plus I was thinking 4mm would be too thick for me but after seeing these action pics

@Catmom I LOVE the fact your hoops graduate in size and get thinner towards the edge! I’ve been looking for that in solid gold hoops but can’t find anything online.

@Garnetgirl I love the look of tiny but thick hoops, especially in a second piercing. I’m most assuredly on the hunt for that for my own second piercings after I can find my main piercing hoops.

@adlgel lovely hoops! I’ve noticed some fun geometric (and heart) shaped hoops around, I always wonder how they hang/ what movement is like - does it feel ‘free’ as they swing like traditional round hoops do?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Yes they hang and move just like a circular hoop would.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much everyone I’m so grateful! After seeing your gorgeous pics I’m feeling even more impatient to buy some hoops.

@lala646 thanks so much for both pictures it really helps me to see the difference between thicker vs thinner hoops. I think I need one of each :) plus I was thinking 4mm would be too thick for me but after seeing these action pics

@Catmom I LOVE the fact your hoops graduate in size and get thinner towards the edge! I’ve been looking for that in solid gold hoops but can’t find anything online.

@Garnetgirl I love the look of tiny but thick hoops, especially in a second piercing. I’m most assuredly on the hunt for that for my own second piercings after I can find my main piercing hoops.

@adlgel lovely hoops! I’ve noticed some fun geometric (and heart) shaped hoops around, I always wonder how they hang/ what movement is like - does it feel ‘free’ as they swing like traditional round hoops do?

Those 4mm YG hoops are my second-most worn pair of earrings, only after my diamond huggies. I love them. Light weight, and casual but lush. You can wear them with literally anything.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have so many but won’t be back home until the 8th; I’m just commenting on this thread as a reminder!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those 4mm YG hoops are my second-most worn pair of earrings, only after my diamond huggies. I love them. Light weight, and casual but lush. You can wear them with literally anything.

You really are making me want to start a hoop collection!! All the different styles, shapes and sizes!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have so many but won’t be back home until the 8th; I’m just commenting on this thread as a reminder!

Dying of anticipation :appl:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Studiometals on Etsy has beautiful solid gold hoops, but many are smaller than the size you’re after because they are NOT all hollow so they have heft. But super sturdy, firm clasp and a beautiful taper. Check them out! They are my most worn earrings

these are their 13mm size in 14 palladium white gold, and I had them make pearl dangles to match

EDIT —- they DO have bigger pairs!!! They didn’t when I bought from them almost 2yrs ago. I love these in particular!

http://etsy.me/1eErwe4

4906B4F7-9815-4E3E-A12D-B8045FDC51FB.jpeg 243E1D25-2753-44ED-AFA8-51901D108D35.jpeg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Studiometals on Etsy has beautiful solid gold hoops, but many are smaller than the size you’re after because they are NOT all hollow so they have heft. But super sturdy, firm clasp and a beautiful taper. Check them out! They are my most worn earrings

these are their 13mm size in 14 palladium white gold, and I had them make pearl dangles to match

EDIT —- they DO have bigger pairs!!! They didn’t when I bought from them almost 2yrs ago. I love these in particular!

4906B4F7-9815-4E3E-A12D-B8045FDC51FB.jpeg 243E1D25-2753-44ED-AFA8-51901D108D35.jpeg

Thanks for the link @Cerulean! Absolutely love the exact earrings you sent, but they’re so expensive?!! Esp for 14k gold only, I mean they are handmade so I guess some sort of markup… this just feels a lot!

ETA having said that, your earrings look like they have a great weight to them!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link @Cerulean! Absolutely love the exact earrings you sent, but they’re so expensive?!! Esp for 14k gold only, I mean they are handmade so I guess some sort of markup… this just feels a lot!

ETA having said that, your earrings look like they have a great weight to them!

I agree - they are quite pricey. But I will say, I’ve owned a number of hoops and these are by far my favorite - I scrapped my others but many were hollow and just felt…cheap by comparison? I think the ones I already had were very inexpensive so they aren’t a fair comparison. The clasp is SO snug I feel confident they will last a long long time. So many clasps weaken quickly and render the hoops useless and it’s my biggest pet peeve with hoops!

But I totally understand if they are more than you wanted to spend!

I’ve been on the hunt for an 18k rose gold pair myself, and boy they are HARD to find! Studio metals only makes 14k RG…I was eyeing hoops at Borsheims… they seem to have fun options and are a better price point. I have not purchased from them though, so am not sure of quality.

J Albrecht was also on my radar for more “designed” hoops with little melee etc.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
StudioMetals does not take returns on earrings, just as a heads up.

I had a pair from them that was really nicely made, but because of where my piercings are they didn't work for me. Even though you can absolutely sanitize a pair of gold earrings, they don't take returns. My piercings are uneven because I did one of them myself when I was a kid, and it is in the thinner part of my lobe whereas the other is in the thicker part of my lobe.

ean

Brilliant_Rock

I know NOTHING when it comes to pearls, what kind are these?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
StudioMetals does not take returns on earrings, just as a heads up.

I had a pair from them that was really nicely made, but because of where my piercings are they didn't work for me. Even though you can absolutely sanitize a pair of gold earrings, they don't take returns. My piercings are uneven because I did one of them myself when I was a kid, and it is in the thinner part of my lobe whereas the other is in the thicker part of my lobe.

Oh yes good call. This policy is annoying. I suspect it’s bc they don’t want the hassle with returns but who knows…I believe they are based in Canada

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I know NOTHING when it comes to pearls, what kind are these?

They are baroque Akoyas! They are silvery blue with a rainbowy overtone.

they aren’t the best of the BEST but I wanted ultra colorful pearls. I didn’t capture them well in my photos but they are very pretty - the overtones almost look like an oil slick coating the surface..if you know what I mean!

i got them Reens pearls on Etsy and think they are a great pricepoint. Takahashi on Instagram has some beautiful baroques too!

here is Reens
https://etsy.me/2FeKsHk

Takahashi

ean

Brilliant_Rock
@Cerulean Do you know what size these are? I might need to post in the pearl forum.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean Do you know what size these are? I might need to post in the pearl forum.

I don’t have ability to measure now (I’m moving and picked calipers)

but they are on the smaller side - I believe around 8.5-9mm. I’d definitely encourage you to explore the pearl forum and post there! A number of people have baroques. I hope memory is serving me..but I think @lulu_ma just got a pair of baroque akoya dangles!

Last edited:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really must thank you again for introducing me to this shop @Cerulean I love it! They did seem pricy at first but they have some incredible stuff, I’m really enjoying looking through the items, I think I’m going to have to splurge at some point!

Everything seems so solid and well made, and it’s soooo hard to find jewellery like that nowadays, especially fully handmade so I think they’re going on my go to favourites list!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
791E05AE-9448-4814-B80B-786D360BAA81.jpeg

Here’s mine! 24k gold huggie hoops. :)

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So much variation! I like them all but I love the thicker chunkier ones! I love the shiny polish, I love the mat polish, engraved, not engraved, hoops can be so much more then just the thin plain round things I was imagining!!

Thanks so much, it’s really opened my eyes.

Vanilla Bling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So much variation! I like them all but I love the thicker chunkier ones! I love the shiny polish, I love the mat polish, engraved, not engraved, hoops can be so much more then just the thin plain round things I was imagining!!

Thanks so much, it’s really opened my eyes.

Ooohhh I love all your Gold hoops ! I had two pair but the youngest daughter wanted a pair so I gave her the ones that look like your fourth picture , my favorite ones are the first picture you posted because I love big gold hoops and that’s the reason my piercing holes are stretched out ! The 80’s and 90’s I wore huge hoops :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ooohhh I love all your Gold hoops ! I had two pair but the youngest daughter wanted a pair so I gave her the ones that look like your fourth picture , my favorite ones are the first picture you posted because I love big gold hoops and that’s the reason my piercing holes are stretched out ! The 80’s and 90’s I wore huge hoops :lol:

All of those with the exception of the 2nd pic belonged to my mom. The second pic I still remember were $25 at TJMAXX in 2004! Haha. The first hoops are really lightweight despite being big.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All of those with the exception of the 2nd pic belonged to my mom. The second pic I still remember were $25 at TJMAXX in 2004! Haha. The first hoops are really lightweight despite being big.

No way!! Are they solid gold?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
No way!! Are they solid gold?

I am guessing they are hollow otherwise they wouldn’t be light. The frosted looking pair are way heavier as are the thick pair with grooved lines.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results