shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I plea Insanity? HELP, im only 3!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! You have a good sense of humor (or would that be humour, for you?)!

Your stone sounds very nice! Some of us are obsessive enough to have the x fall in both boxes, but to tell you the truth, I doubt most of us could tell the difference between two stones that were GIA Ex and not AGS0 and the other AGS0. I''m sure the professionals could, but most consumers probably couldn''t. If I were you, I''d just relax and not over-analyze at this point. Enjoy your trip to get the ring, and if it is not pleasing to the eye for any reason, return it while you are here. I wouldn''t have any concern over the stone being the one on the cert. But you could take it into a jeweler who offers appraisal services and just ask for a verbal verification that the stone is the one on the cert if it would make you feel better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their signature ideal means nothing, as you have noted! It is just a marketing ploy. Are you firmly committed to dealing with Blue Nile only? We should have little problem finding you a stone that would fall in both boxes if you could look outside BN.

I like you, too, ES!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 10:21:53 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Haha! You have a good sense of humor (or would that be humour, for you?)!

yes... what it is it with u americans and your yews... are you u-ist... or is it just so you dont wear the u key out?
31.gif

Anyway - check DS links to GoG and Whiteflash... some pretty stones, you could blind Lousie with them....

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How were you going to pick up the ring? Does BN have an office that you can go to?

I vote for the Good Old Gold stone recommended by DS, but mostly because, they are on Long Island, you can just fly over to NYC, meet with Jonathon, see the stone in person before you make the final decision to purchase and all around probably feel a lot more comfy with your decision.

Evil_Stewie

Rough_Rock

I am not committed to Blue Nile, but they seem to have provided the service I required at such short notice. I have provided the details of the stone and thus I would be grateful for you guys to see where the ‘X’ actually lands, and then we can determine whether there is a need to shop elsewhere? As I mentioned before I see it falls a fraction outside of the AGS border, something I suppose I could live with I guess?…

Furthermore, what an excellent contribution by Lord Summerisle! However I have already concocted a cunning plan to take care of Louise while I am away…Romancing the Stone! MUAH HA HA HA….Yeas…Anyway I should stop enjoying myself with such happy thoughts and get back to the issue at hand I say! Guys you’re continuing Sterling input is very helpful but I can not see myself changing retailer at this stage of the plan, however further validation would be much appreciated I say!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
One other plus for dealing with Jon at Good Old Gold - he would give you every speck of information that you needed to have complete assurance and validation of your choice prior to purchase. He also has access to most stones listed on bluenile.com.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the proportions are fine. yes, it''s a little outside, but since it''s outside on the shallow side, it''s alright. i wouldn''t worry.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The box is based on very conservative cutting charts and should not be used for grading.
There is a good chance if the optical symmetry is vg or better and the lgf% is right that this stone would get a 0 in performance from AGS.

Evil_Stewie

Rough_Rock
I shall take the good advice from all you kind people and shall just wait and see when I get the thing. But I have to admit that I''ve become rather fond of all you people and this forum, how splendid I say!! Keep up the good work everyone!...Stewie for Govnor!
31.gif

Evil_Stewie

Rough_Rock

Hello Strm, you''re LGF% has got me worried and so I have attempted established what they are and would like for you’re opinion but please remember that I have already purchased the ring...So be honest but a little kind as I don''t think my little heart can take it if it is indeed off the scale

39.gif
. I really want the stone to sparkle in all conditions I tell you, but had not realised this LGF% also comes into play! I just thought this HCA device was a good tool to indicate the best intensity of the stones glamour without showing any darkness?
40.gif

I think the Diamond is a 50% - 80% combo as that is the only percentage on the GIA cert that I can not relate to?

40.gif

Colour: D
Clarity: VS2
Table: 58%
Depth: 61.2%
Pavilion depth: 43%
Crown height: 14%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Girdle: Slightly Think

Please comment...
33.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Stewie scares the crap out of me but I''m going to help you anyway, you poor lost soul...

Are you flying into NYC? I''d say that''s where you should collect the ring because:

A. You can make an appointment, prior to flying, with a local independent appraiser in NYC, collect the ring (or have it sent directly to the appraiser before you arrive (might be best) and he can give you his opinions/report via email/phone before you fly to NYC. I suggest this option because IF the ring isn''t all that great or doesn''t get similar marks from the appraiser (compared to what Blue Nile is saying it is) you can easily have enough time to arrange a meeting with Jonathan at GOG in Long Island (just a hop and a skip from NYC) and he''ll be able to set you up no problem.

So in summation (I''m summing up since you''re only 3), arrange for BN to ship the ring to an independent appraiser and get it appraised BEFORE you depart to pick it up, and IF the appraiser doesn''t think it''s worth the price you paid or doesn''t think it''s a good stone, you can make an appt. (before you depart to US) with GOG and he can have plenty of stones/settings awaiting you when you arrive.

et Voila!

PS: I realize that there is no "Plan B" but that is because my "Plan A" is so superior that there is no need for a Plan B at all...

Evil_Stewie

Rough_Rock
Hmm.... Surfgirl, there appears to be some logic in you’re words and you’re confidence to only having a ‘Plan A’, makes me like you''re style!
27.gif
Thus I think I also like you…So there is no need to fear girly, as you quite rightly pointed out I am only 3…MUH HA HA HAA,
11.gif
(this when I would normally zap you ruthlessly with my lazar gun! But I wont because I have further need for you..I mean I like you, yeas that’s what I meant...)
31.gif

Anyway, is there anything from the diamond''s details I have provided that should make me wary before I lay my little, high expiation eyes on it? Furthermore is there a direct contact for the GOG people & would this Jon fellow have a diamond of similar criteria and price in such short notice to build up in a 2 day period?

I will have the ring delivered to me and can make my way to NYC if I have to while I''m over there, thus is there any good appraiser I can go & have it checked out while I''m waiting? How much does one cost in you''re American dollars? I have also remembered that I wanted it in a UK size ''L 1/2'' and was told a US size ''6'' would be the best option and so I have had it made in a size 6, but I am now a little concerned that it may not fit good and spoil the whole proposal thingy!? My little fingers are getting tired now so I shall just wait for a response. Stewie 4 Govnor!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stewie, because you are my very favorite 3 year old on the forum, I am going to tell you that since you yourself admitted to being a little OCD, I think you need to get the stone I posted above from Good Old Gold. It is a better cut stone and costs less than the one you have purchased. Since you haven''t even had the other stone sent to you yet, it would be very easy to cancel. That way, you don''t go to all that trouble and expense dealing with an appraisal and then potentially deciding you wished you had gone with the top cut quality after all. Not to mention that if you ever had other preferences, you could trade in the GOG stone at full price paid, whereas BN has no trade-in. It is so much easier to change course now rather than later. If the BN stone was equally well cut, I would be encouraging you to go forward. But I sense that you have doubts, and one of my favorite sayings is, "When in doubt, don''t."

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Evil Stewie,

The diamond you selected, as expected, due to your uncanny intelligence and obvious superiority to others in your age range, sounds like a gorgeous specimen. Really outstanding. You can''t get much better than Ex-Ex-Ex-Vg on the HCA. I have an AGS0 diamond that scored the same, therefore, I don''t think that you should trouble yourself with the AGS0 vs GIA Excellent ranges any further ... no need to be wary. If you stick with this diamond, you will be getting a top notch diamond.

I''ve never dealt with Jon or his GOG associates, however, many other PS''ers have - with rave reviews. As far as I understand it, they are quite accessible and willing to go above and beyond for regular consumers. I can only imagine that they would do the same for celebrities, such as yourself. As mentioned by Diamondseeker 2006 above, they do have a similar diamond, within your price range that is an AGS0 E/VS2 H&A diamond. Here is a link to it again if you would like to see it. Possibly, if you are able to contact Jon via either email or telephone, you can request that he "reserve" this stone for you or one similar in anticipation of your NY visit? Maybe if you throw in your political aspirations, they''ll be able to pull some strings?
25.gif

I''m not familiar with NYC appraisers, however, I believe that you should be able to obtain an appraisal from a reputable appraiser from anywhere from $75 - $125.

Don''t worry about the sizing. Since you should be fairly close, if it is not bang on, you can either have ring bumps placed in it to make it fit perfectly or you can have it sized up or down slightly. If the shank is solid, not an eternity style band, this should be a really easy process.

I also agree with Surfgirl''s foolproof plan A. It''s just diabolical enough to work for you.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ewie, oops, I mean STewie, here are some charts for ring size conversions and it appears that L-1/2 would be equal to a US size 6.25, 5-7/8, 6.0, 5-7/8...Given there isn''t a uniform number that L-1/2 is converting to, I''d split the difference and call it 6.0. The difference between a 5-7/8 & 6.0 is probably quite small but to be sure, if you can abscond with one of her rings for a quick moment, take it and put it on a piece of white plain paper, and draw a line around the INNER circle - IIRC, that is the actual ring size. You could scan and email that to the place setting the ring maybe? But really, if it''s a 6 and it''s a tiny bit big, it''s easy to have it sized down at home I think, so long as you use a very good jeweler.

http://www.jegem.com/1/pages/ring_size.asp

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ring_size.htm

http://www.celtarts.com/ring_size.htm

http://www.weddingbandsuperstore.com/ringsize.html

As for contacting GOG, Jonathon is the owner, IIRC, and he''s a very nice guy to deal with. I''ve not bought from him, but from my limited interactions with him, he''s very quick to respond to emails and seems to go above and beyond for his customers. As for his stones vs. the Blue Nile stones, I think the majority of people who buy online here on PS, do not use Blue Nile and would use GOG more frequently. I wouldn''t be too worried though, unless you think you might one day want to offer an upgrade to your lady, and since you''re only 3, that''s a good long ways away, but still, better to prepare than be left out in the cold, yes? So if upgrading is something you may want to explore one day when you have more to lavish on your lady - say, when you''re 12 or 13 - then perhaps you should go with GOG and leave the Blue Nile in your wake?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chiming in late here, but I ditto, or is it thritto? quadritto? Anywho, if you can cancel the stone, and shop at GOG, I assure you, you will not only get a great stone, you could have several beauties lined up, and pick the one that pleases you most. Ideally, that''s the way it should be. And Jon will entertain you and explain all his fancy shtuff while he''s at it. Many of us have bought from them, but haven''t had the pleasure of going there in person. It would be a real treat.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2008 7:19:53 PM
Author: surfgirl
Ewie, oops, I mean STewie, here are some charts for ring size conversions and it appears that L-1/2 would be equal to a US size 6.25, 5-7/8, 6.0, 5-7/8...Given there isn''t a uniform number that L-1/2 is converting to, I''d split the difference and call it 6.0. The difference between a 5-7/8 & 6.0 is probably quite small but to be sure, if you can abscond with one of her rings for a quick moment, take it and put it on a piece of white plain paper, and draw a line around the INNER circle - IIRC, that is the actual ring size. You could scan and email that to the place setting the ring maybe? But really, if it''s a 6 and it''s a tiny bit big, it''s easy to have it sized down at home I think, so long as you use a very good jeweler.

http://www.jegem.com/1/pages/ring_size.asp

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ring_size.htm

http://www.celtarts.com/ring_size.htm

http://www.weddingbandsuperstore.com/ringsize.html

As for contacting GOG, Jonathon is the owner, IIRC, and he''s a very nice guy to deal with. I''ve not bought from him, but from my limited interactions with him, he''s very quick to respond to emails and seems to go above and beyond for his customers. As for his stones vs. the Blue Nile stones, I think the majority of people who buy online here on PS, do not use Blue Nile and would use GOG more frequently. I wouldn''t be too worried though, unless you think you might one day want to offer an upgrade to your lady, and since you''re only 3, that''s a good long ways away, but still, better to prepare than be left out in the cold, yes? So if upgrading is something you may want to explore one day when you have more to lavish on your lady - say, when you''re 12 or 13 - then perhaps you should go with GOG and leave the Blue Nile in your wake?
Oh my gosh! ROTFLOL!
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I'm a British/Aust size M and that's a US 6 & 3/4 so for an L & 1/2 a size 6 is a safe bet :)

GL with your purchase Evil Stewie :)

Evil_Stewie

Rough_Rock

The responses here are like London Buses…You wait for one to come along and then you get all three at once! HAHA, I love it! I like the cat by the name of sparkalicious, as she looks just like my litto girlfriend I plan to capture..er..I mean Wed, making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! The cat’s words are also encouraging to me and thus I thank you Cat, and I also want to thank the one who persists on calling me ‘Ewie’ although I don’t think that’s rather appealing as it sounds like something I cry out when Louis feeds me some of that crap she calls food! Anyhow I obviously appreciate everyone else’s input, but rather than turning this into an Oscar speech, I rather press on with my thoughts I say!

12.gif

Just to update, the ring has been paid for, set delivered and now ready for me when I get there. I am presently ticking off my checklist;

34.gif

1 x large back pack,
5 x red dungarees,
5 x yellow shirts,
1 x one-piece navy suit and tie (Can you believe they only make suits for 3 year olds that’s elasticised and all joined up as one! Bloody ludicrous I tell you!)
1 x tin of Dapper Dan pomade
1 x Peter’s…on second thoughts, purchase 1 x Givenchy Rouge eau de toilette
31.gif

1 x shiny pair of black shoes
2 x peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the ride to the airport (one for me and for my other half… I’m not so big to start with so I guess she would be my other quarter or even my third…Oh now’s not the time for calculations, I should be filled with excitement and singing to the tunes of the morning birds, skipping and jumping…until I see that rock I purchased?!..
33.gif

Oh well I may as well email this Jon fellow today and find out what he has just in case. Hey ‘Deelight’, before I forget, thanks for clearing up the doubts surrounding the ring size, that was really bothering me so I can probably rest a little easier on that front for now.

40.gif

However, I am beginning to feel that I have made my cot now, so I may as well lay in it I say! I feel I devoted months on reasearching (apart from being too late to find out about ideal scope and GOG stuff), the numbers did look good on the HCA, it has a GIA cert with Excellent’s across the board and it’s a ‘D’ colour after all, so hopefully it will sparkle with the intensity I hope and no matter what I think, I know she will just be happy to get something! Besides, from the expensive crap I was being shown and almost purchased by the so called experts in the UK, turned up some right horrors on the HCA! The next update shall be when I get back...Happy or Sad...Wish me luck my fellow play mates!

31.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
This has got to be one of my favourite threads evah!

Good luck evil one. Don''t forget us and come back to fill us in,

a

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Dear Stewie,

Methinks thou dost protest too much! You won''t find too many yes-men (or women) here.
It seems like you only want an opinion as long as it validates what you''ve already done??
I could be out of line for saying that and if so, then I apologize in advance.

Your lady will mosy likely LOVE the one you already bought so why agonize? Just enjoy!

BB

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure she will be so delighted to have a beautiful ring that she wouldn''t dare part with it! (If you do email Jon, just know that they are closed on Sunday and Monday. But it sounds like you are happy with your purchase, and I am sure that she will love it!)

Have a great trip, and welcome to the US!!!
35.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, Stewie! We await your update ... Have a great time!
35.gif

Evil_Stewie

Rough_Rock
I’m BACK! What a bloody cold trip that was! Anyways the food came in extra large portions so I think I may have gained a few pounds!…, But without digressing further, the ring is absolutely Gorgeous I tell you! and ‘yes’ she loves obviously it!
30.gif

I spent the first few days teasing her with jewellery shop windows and even Tiffany’s itself which showed their stones to be the bloody best we’ve seen (which subsequently worried me because I thought I may have been a little over confident by such antics before presenting her with my own!!), However I am glad to say the stone I purchased actually surprised us both as it sparkles so beautifully, even under all types of artificial over-head and natural lighting futhermore it also looks bigger than the 1ct we''ve seen in the past! I go as far as to say that it looked better than the Tiffany diamonds we saw the day before! Thankfully all the research, number crunching and HCA calculations paid off, although I discovered the ideal scope and Sarin after my purchase which worried me some what at the time!
34.gif

I did however look at it long and hard with my 10x loupe and eventually saw a small cluster of minute bubble type inclusions and then noticed a singular small dark inclusion but not exactly as indicated via the GIA certificate diagram? Although the diamond is a VS2 and the certificates states Crystal and Pinpoint as the only inclusions along with “additional Pinpoints not shown” is there anything to worry about?

33.gif

My next step is to have it verified now that I’m back in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

31.gif

Evil_Stewie

Rough_Rock
PS I love U ALL!...More so the CAT!... x

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh you crack me up. Glad your trip went well and I''m so happy to hear you got enough food here!
3.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 12:03:20 PM
Author: Evil_Stewie
PS I love U ALL!...More so the CAT!... x
Well, if you''re going to play favorites then I can no longer assist you. HMPH!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results