shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I have rose gold dipped to be white gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
This might be a REALLY dumb question. I got a new wedding band that is white gold with 1/4ct wght of little bead set diamonds. I plan on wearing it everyday but i''m terrorfied of hurting it. However I don''t like being without a wedding band completly. So anything relativly active and while sleeping i''m not going to wear it so I would like something small to wear. I''ve been looking up some antique looking, engraved white gold bands but they are actually more pricey than I thought! I found a band for a really good deal on Ebay and it''s gorgeous but it''s rose gold. I thought I heard somewhere that white gold is regular gold but plated and dipped. Could I do the same to rose gold? Would it bother the engraving? Anyone know where to look for a band like that at a low price?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might find this article interesting. It explains more about Common Alloys and how White Gold is formed.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/47/1/An-Overview-Of-Common-Alloys-Used-In-Jewelry.aspx

White gold isn''t yellow gold with plating on. Its actually a mixture of different alloys which lightens the colour of the yellow gold and then its plated.

Couldn''t you buy a cheap white gold band if you need something you can wear everyday? I am pretty sure it wouldn''t cost you too much. I have seen some reasonable plain bands on Whiteflash''s website.

Maisie

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei''s pendant being made of the rose gold as a whole piece for the structural integrity and then the channel/basket part of it which holding the diamond will be heavily rhodium plated to appear white. Hope this helps.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your replies! I will definatly read that article! I wanted a band that I could wear on it''s own but also something I could pair with the ering if I ever wanted too. I thought of a plain band but it didn''t really match with the antique look of the ering.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I believe you can have it rhodium dipped - this is what PS Admin was mentioning.
Anyone seen a thread on Lorelei''s rose gold pendant? I haven''t seen it and would love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Guess What: Dispersion and Fire Aren't the Same Thing
    Men In Pearls
    Men In Pearls
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti

Need expert help finding that diamonds?

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.