shape
carat
color
clarity

Can i get opinions on this Richard Homer Sapphire?

Bec619

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I fell in love with 2 Richard Homer stones, and one is within our price range. (our price range is $1000, It's just under)

I just wanted every bodies opinions on it, Since i know next to nothing about gems. (It's my very first gem!)

If it helps, it's going to be set in an 18k White gold Cushion cut Halo, I haven't decided whether i'd like a Bezel setting or Prongs yet.

Inspiration Picture for the ring design:
inspire.jpg

This is the wonderful Sapphire:
6146BSapph.jpg

This is the details for it:
Registry Number: 6146
Variety: Sapphire
Species: Corundum
Weight: 0.89ct
Shape: Round
Cut: Concave Brilliant
Length: 6.1mm
Width: 6.1mm
Enhancement: H - Heating
Comments:
Big look for its weight! Good homogenous violetish Blue ; great diamond-like brilliance.

What does everyone think? Are his photos true to the color of the gems?

Thanks everyone ♥

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have found his photos to be true to color, and I love his stones. His cutting makes the color very intense.

He's really easy to deal with, and he can send you more pics if he has time. Just email him with the stock number and he'll pull out the stone and look at it. He'll answer any questions and he has a good return policy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone shows good promise and should be hassle free to see it in person with his return policy. After seeing it in person, you can then decide if it is a good candidate for a bezel or prong set setting. If it has a tendency to get dark, then prong set is recommended.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the color is eye popping, it's more subdued. If that's the kind of look you're after, than it might be the right stone for you. You are at least aware of the high premium on his cutting, which is important to factor in. For $1K, I think you can get a lab verified unheated stone of one carat with better color, but I don't think you will find the concave cutting you like.

ETA: Gene of precisiongem.com can concave cut sapphires, and I think his work is excellent. Perhaps he can get you a similar, or larger stone, for the same price. He's way more affordable than Richard Homer. You should email him. As you are on a budget, I'd like to see you get the most bang for your buck.

Here's a concave cut garnet he did in the middle of this page to give you an idea of his faceting.

http://precisiongem.com/Blog/files/archive-22-may-2011.html

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Be aware that concave cutting is not for everyone, and that it's PERFECTLY okay if when you see it you decide concave cutting is not your thing. (Of course, it might be... you might super love it!)

Several years ago, I tried out a Richard Homer gem -- it looked exactly like hte picture, which I loved, but I found out that there's something about concave cuts that in person and in 3D (as opposed to a 2D picture) doesn't really appeal to me. It's hard to know though until you have it in your hands!

Bec619

Rough_Rock
iLander: Thanks, I'm waiting for more pictures from him

Chrono: I'm worried if i buy it and don't like it that i won't be able to return it, Since i'm in Australia

TL: I contacted Gene, He said he currently have an oval Sapphire he's re-cutting but it'll be oval after, No cushions or rounds :( Everything i've seen that i've really like has been over $1000, If you come across anything let me know!

deorwine: Yea that worries me, I saw a picture of a concave from the side and i wasn't fussed on the 3d look, SO maybe it's not for me.

kevinsp8

Rough_Rock
Richard is a real gentleman, and very easy to deal with. His return policy I'm sure would apply anywhere. I bought an amethyst from him (I'm in Canada) and returned it with no problems. He sent another one which was more to my liking. My advice is to discuss with him BEFORE you order the stone what sort of things you are looking for in the stone. Yes, concave cutting isn't for everyone, and they are hard to find locally to get a sense of what it will look like in real life. To some extent you are paying a premium for the cutting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bec,
Your being in Australia might complicate things as there's not only the shipping time and cost involved, I believe you will also be charged VAT fees, correct? Is there any place/vendor locally where you can see a concave cut stone in person?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Bec619|1309235887|2956805 said:
iLander: Thanks, I'm waiting for more pictures from him

Chrono: I'm worried if i buy it and don't like it that i won't be able to return it, Since i'm in Australia

TL: I contacted Gene, He said he currently have an oval Sapphire he's re-cutting but it'll be oval after, No cushions or rounds :( Everything i've seen that i've really like has been over $1000, If you come across anything let me know!

deorwine: Yea that worries me, I saw a picture of a concave from the side and i wasn't fussed on the 3d look, SO maybe it's not for me.

Return periods usually start running when you receive the stone not when it gets shipped so you should be able to return it if you don't like it. Of course it will probably be more expensive (in shipping and insurance) for you to return it than if you were in the US.

Concave faceting is harder to see in darker toned stones. I have a red spinel and while I can tell it's not flat faceted the concave faceting isn't as apparent as the static picture. This can be good or bad depending on how much you like concave faceting. When it catches the light you do see spikey flashes rather than broad flashes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results