shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I check the diamond by myself?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

likexx

Rough_Rock
I just want to see the GIA number inside the diamond(if it really has).
Someone said the prong setting maybe hide the number so it cannot be seen.Is that right?
Or can I just use some 10X or 30X magnification to check the GIA number?

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I don't think all GIA stones are laser engraved. If it is, yes, you can see it on the girdle. It is possible that a prong could cover it. If your stone is not laser engraved, then just match the inclusions to the map on the certificate using a 10x loupe (hard) or microscope (easy).

likexx

Rough_Rock
what do you mean by "comparing the inclusion"?
I mean, there might be several different inclusion inside the diamond.When I compare the inclusion with the photo, are they all the same?
(never did that before...)

Greentree

Rough_Rock
You can see the laser inscription with 10X, but it's a lot smaller than you might think. If it has at least eight numerals, I doubt a prong can hide all of it unless it's a really fat prong.

If your diamond has inclusions big enough to spot easily under 10X you can acquaint yourself with where they are and what they look like. Next look on the accompanying lab report and see if you can match them up with what is on the plot. From then on, you can always recognize your diamond by looking for and recognizing its inclusions.

Sometimes the inclusions are so miniscule and so few that unless you are a gemologist and know what to look for, you probably can't find them. That's where an inscription comes in handy.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
On your certificate there is a diagram that shows where the inclusions are in your stone. The goal of this is to help people identify the stone like a fingerprint on a person. Laser-engraved numbers are not needed, and more like a tattoo on a person when their fingerprints will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results