shape
carat
color
clarity

Can cut quality affect attraction to oils and grime?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

novaguy79

Rough_Rock
I was in a mall jewelelry store asking about settings, when the clerk told me that, due to a poorly done job cutting the stone, my diamond would look dull more rapidly due to everyday grime and oil. He said the facets were misaligned, he said it would have diminished fire and brilliance, and he then tried to convince me to return it and buy another one. He gave me a long speech describing how he holds his diamonds to a higher standard of quality, and that his stones keep their fire for longer due to their cut quality.

My stone is rated AGS 0 in cut, and has been independently appraised (the appraiser stated that the diamond had an ideal cut and excellent symmetry and polish)

Could a jeweler have detected poor faceting symmetry by looking at it with a loupe for ten seconds?

Does cut quality have anything to do, at all, with the frequency that a diamond needs to be cleaned?

I''m chalking up his comments as an attempt to sell me a different stone; but as I''m no expert, and it was a respectable store, I''d like to know for sure if his evaluation could have had any merit.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is *some* theoretical truth in what the seller said, but none of those statements apply to your diamond, obviously.

Yes, the bearded girdle of an OMC would get "dirty" sooner as seen under magnification (not really during wearing). Yes, miss-aligned facets would distort light return, but you need to go below "good" (GIA) symmetry to get there... etc. I am trying to capture the "spirit" of that conversation, as you can see. Most likely, some experienced professional used to handle dozens of diamonds daily would be more senzitive to the look of the stones than what I am describing here, but not by a light year!

Claiming that a stone which made it to AGS0 standards is as "crooked" compared to some higher standard as an old cut would be to a modern ideal ... oh well, were you shopping for diamonds at some space industry lab ?
eek.gif

LScianname

Rough_Rock
I believe that cut quality does affect attraction to oil and grime. I used to have an AGS4 (H I1)and I found that if I missed a day of cleaning (I try to clean everyday)the diamond was foggy and sparkle-less. Now I have an AGS000, H&A (G-SI1) and it never loses its sparkle; even if I miss a day or two.

Maybe my imagination, but I don't think so.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/25/2004 1:45:51 AM novaguy79 wrote:

I was in a mall jewelelry store asking about settings, when the clerk told me that, due to a poorly done job cutting the stone, my diamond would look dull more rapidly due to everyday grime and oil. He said the facets were misaligned, he said it would have diminished fire and brilliance, and he then tried to convince me to return it and buy another one. He gave me a long speech describing how he holds his diamonds to a higher standard of quality, and that his stones keep their fire for longer due to their cut quality.

My stone is rated AGS 0 in cut, and has been independently appraised (the appraiser stated that the diamond had an ideal cut and excellent symmetry and polish)

Could a jeweler have detected poor faceting symmetry by looking at it with a loupe for ten seconds?

I'm chalking up his comments as an attempt to sell me a different stone; but as I'm no expert, and it was a respectable store, I'd like to know for sure if his evaluation could have had any merit.

----------------

Smart man - that's exactly what this is. Yes, I'd say a jeweler could detect poor faceting symetry by looking at it with a loupe......but it's hard to imagine a jeweler saying that his stones perform better than your AGS0.......and it's even harder to imagine his claim that your AGS0 is a "POORLY" cut diamond.

If your stone were one of those "flukey" stones that has great numbers but doesn't perform up to par, your independent appraiser would have identified that during the appraisal process.

As far as the jewelers claim about grime.....ALL diamonds will attract dirt and grime, and they need to be cleaned regularly if you want them to perform their best. I clean my e-ring daily - every morning when after my shower.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Nova! You have an AGS0 cut diamond that was INDEPENDENTLY appraised and verified. Don't listen to someone who tells you your stone is less than GREAT! That jeweler was trying to peddle their own wares. Pure and simple!
angryfire.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/25/2004 6:42:20 AM LScianname wrote:

I believe that cut quality does affect attraction to oil and grime. -------

No, this is not true. All diamonds attract oil & grime at the same rate for the most part. Better cuts will "hold up" to taking on *more* grime & still look good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results