Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anything be done about this window?

winnietucker

Brilliant_Rock
Aquamarine is my husband’s birthstone so I’ve been on the hunt for an antique pin to convert to a ring. I keep coming back to this one and finally asked for face up photos. This window bugs me. Any way to get rid of it/ hide it? It’s $1400 with a 5ct aqua and 0.25 cts total in diamonds. Is the price ok?

EC640488-F82B-44F6-920D-67352BC9AB59.jpeg

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What metal is the brooch currently please?

If it is platinum, then I believe the overall price is about right for this brooch, which means the Aqua itself is worth less than the asking price.

Not entirely certain if such a brooch can easily be converted into a ring, therefore, I would advise to run this past a competent bench first before committing to buy.

As for the window itself, sorry, I would pass as it is too big for my liking. So big that I do not believe putting a foil behind it would work. Again, I would advise running this past a bench first to seek advice.

However, the colour of the Aqua is nice, as in it is quite deep without any green modifier (I am a fan of Aquas with a hint of green personally); and it looks quite clean based on the photo alone.

The stone is big enough to benefit a re-cut, and that's what I would probably do, as in take out the Aqua and the diamonds, scrap the metal, re-cut the Aqua and then re-set into a ring with the diamonds.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Reactions: caf

JackTrick

Shiny_Rock
It could theoretically be hidden with a recut, but you may be better off just buying a better stone.

winnietucker

Brilliant_Rock
What metal is the brooch currently please?

If it is platinum, then I believe the overall price is about right for this brooch, which means the Aqua itself is worth less than the asking price.

Not entirely certain if such a brooch can easily be converted into a ring, therefore, I would advise to run this past a competent bench first before committing to buy.

As for the window itself, sorry, I would pass as it is too big for my liking. So big that I do not believe putting a foil behind it would work. Again, I would advise running this past a bench first to seek advice.

However, the colour of the Aqua is nice, as in it is quite deep without any green modifier (I am a fan of Aquas with a hint of green personally); and it looks quite clean based on the photo alone.

The stone is big enough to benefit a re-cut, and that's what I would probably do, as in take out the Aqua and the diamonds, scrap the metal, re-cut the Aqua and then re-set into a ring with the diamonds.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))
Thanks! Foil was what I was thinking but I couldn’t think of it. It’s 14k YG and platinum so I’m thinking maybe it’s a little high? I was hoping for a straight conversion so this is a no go for me. I appreciate you saving me money lol.

http://instagr.am/p/CDiIk7yn_JD/
@winnietucker Gilded Lane in IG has this beauty with aquamarines and diamonds. in case you want to consider some others.
Here are some Aquamarines that just posted on IG

26F8D353-F7BE-4904-85BA-022A7CBAC278.png
Sorry my tag thing isn’t working right now. But so many vendors are using IG to sell, I really need to get on that. Thanks! I’ll check them out and see how far I can go without IG requiring me to create an account.

It could theoretically be hidden with a recut, but you may be better off just buying a better stone.
Such a disappointment! No wonder they didn’t have any straight shots.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.