shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone help me out and model your ss buttons?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies. I am considering a purchase of 11mm ss buttons from one of our PS favorite vendors. My budget cannot quite handle a AAA earring in a full round. I am trying to be more careful as I collect and only buy things I am in love with.

Does anyone have any ss button earrings they might model? I wear a pair of 6mm gold button studs and really like them, but not sure that translates into 11mm pearls. This is a really big purchase for me, and want to make sure I love them. Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture in cheapie costume 11.6 pearls to see the effect. I do like the size. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20201120_072257.jpg
    20201120_072257.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 35

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no pearl expert and can't help with pictures. But I was somewhat unpleasantly surprised by the weight of studs.

I bought a pair of regular 11 mm wss and while I have 11.5mm as drops (somehow the don't "feel.as heavy ) and I had tried the size in fake studs to be sure, I wasn't prepared for weight and droop.

Even with a jumbo back, which helped with the droop (mostly) they also stuck out a lot. I lost one of them after a few months. This will be less of a problem with buttons, I believe, but the weight difference between real and fake was very big... if you're weight sensitive for earrings at all, 11 mm SS are very heavy.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm no pearl expert and can't help with pictures. But I was somewhat unpleasantly surprised by the weight of studs.

I bought a pair of regular 11 mm wss and while I have 11.5mm as drops (somehow the don't "feel.as heavy ) and I had tried the size in fake studs to be sure, I wasn't prepared for weight and droop.

Even with a jumbo back, which helped with the droop (mostly) they also stuck out a lot. I lost one of them after a few months. This will be less of a problem with buttons, I believe, but the weight difference between real and fake was very big... if you're weight sensitive for earrings at all, 11 mm SS are very heavy.

Thanks Kipari. I have 9.5mm Tahitians that have relatively fat backs and they don't have droop issues. I have a larger black and white (11-13?) pair that do, but the backs are not as generous (I need orthopedic ear support disks).

Yesterday I talked with Andrew at Molene pearls and he found a pair of high dome buttons that work in my budget. I posted this thread before I saw the pearls. I was a little worried they would be pancakes. I really appreciate his sensitive assistance in buying the best I can afford.

Oh heck, they are so perfect with the high dome button profile. There are a couple of small blemishes that he pointed out, but that was reasonable concession to afford SS earrings on my budget. The overall lustre looks wonderful.

I think the flatter backed surface will help them sit better. They are on the way today!!

20201120_120911.jpg IMG_20201120_120803_479.jpg IMG_20201120_120756_302.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg can’t wait to see!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks MtG! Right?!. When I saw them, my concerns vanished and I was in love. I'm putting this out there for anyone else who wants pearls but has budget parameters. Andrew was lovely to work with.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!

Buttons seem to sit more gracefully AND bonus points for being more affordable. What's not to like?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
your new button south sea pearls are just sublime! i adore the larger millimeter size without protrusion on the earlobe. what a glowy lustruous pair you've acquired! i have no doubt it looks fabulous on you and will only serve to highlight your beautiful complexion. congratulations on a classic and elegant pair of south sea pearl studs

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@kipari Thank you! win/win

@Big Fat Facets Thank you! The accolades should go to the kind @molinePDG who has such wonderful pearls. His instagram is gasp inducing.
Your compliment is really kind, thank you :)

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The kind comments on this thread are so nice to read after a long week!

Some general info:

@kipari is correct. The weight of cultured pearls can be quite different vs costume, so it's always good to keep that in mind.

The button profile can vary significantly. Some button pearls are quite flat on the bottom and pancake-like, and higher quality buttons usually aren't quite as flat, which can help the way they sit on the ear.

Buttons are great, and I personally think they look like a more "authentic" pearl of old, and they're always a great option for those not wishing to spend for rounds!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mabe pearls can also work for those who don't want to wear rounds.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kipari. I have 9.5mm Tahitians that have relatively fat backs and they don't have droop issues. I have a larger black and white (11-13?) pair that do, but the backs are not as generous (I need orthopedic ear support disks).

Yesterday I talked with Andrew at Molene pearls and he found a pair of high dome buttons that work in my budget. I posted this thread before I saw the pearls. I was a little worried they would be pancakes. I really appreciate his sensitive assistance in buying the best I can afford.

Oh heck, they are so perfect with the high dome button profile. There are a couple of small blemishes that he pointed out, but that was reasonable concession to afford SS earrings on my budget. The overall lustre looks wonderful.

I think the flatter backed surface will help them sit better. They are on the way today!!

20201120_120911.jpg IMG_20201120_120803_479.jpg IMG_20201120_120756_302.jpg

These look absolutely beautiful and are extremely tempting. I really don’t like the look of pearl studs on my lobes and I wonder if a pair of beautiful buttons like these could be a game changer. I’d love to see ear shots when you receive your beauties!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hello ladies. They are here. That was so FAST. The size is great. I think these will be nice for every day. I like them very much. EDIT: I just found some ultra wide silicone backs in my jewelry fort (don't ask). They are sitting nicely now. I did have droop with smaller backs (to be expected).

Also, the pearls came in a beautiful wooden gift box.

20201123_125319.jpg 20201123_133337.jpg 20201123_133250.jpg

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
These look absolutely beautiful and are extremely tempting. I really don’t like the look of pearl studs on my lobes and I wonder if a pair of beautiful buttons like these could be a game changer. I’d love to see ear shots when you receive your beauties!

Here you go.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look amazingly lustrous! And what a great size on you :)

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful earrings & they look great on you!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Btw am I dreaming or did you change your name here?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
A quick pic of them before I put on a wider back. You can see that...ears of a (ahem) certain age need a wide backing.

20201123_152647.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look great! That button shape really helps with wearability - they don’t protrude too much at all! But they also aren’t flat - just the right amount of stick-out-edness :bigsmile: pretty pearls!! :love:

And okay, I can’t not ask - so what’s the jewellery fort? ::)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
They look great! That button shape really helps with wearability - they don’t protrude too much at all! But they also aren’t flat - just the right amount of stick-out-edness :bigsmile: pretty pearls!! :love:

And okay, I can’t not ask - so what’s the jewellery fort? ::)

Thanks Yssie. Your lovely pearls inspired me to reach out. The gem Akoya are wonderful.

The more I wear them, the more I like them. They are more streamlined. Hubby came home and said they were much deeper in dimension than my old cheapie ss knock offs. He said he was prepared to say they looked the same. Nope, he said they looked much prettier (yay).

The jewelry fort is a big upright two sided jewelry cabinet that holds my jewelry, except for the bracelets :) It's a hot mess of stuff.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are so beautiful! I love the larger size. I am surprised at how nicely they sit on your ears.
A great choice!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Yssie. Your lovely pearls inspired me to reach out. The gem Akoya are wonderful.

The more I wear them, the more I like them. They are more streamlined. Hubby came home and said they were much deeper in dimension than my old cheapie ss knock offs. He said he was prepared to say they looked the same. Nope, he said they looked much prettier (yay).

The jewelry fort is a big upright two sided jewelry cabinet that holds my jewelry, except for the bracelets :) It's a hot mess of stuff.

The true sign of greatness in jewellery - when our partners are surprised to be able to note improvements :lol:

Your jewellery fort was made for magpies :bigsmile:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
your new south sea pearls look incredible with your glorious complexion. it is a radiant, healthy, peaches and cream complexion! on your earlobes, my eyes, don't necessarily, register them as button pearls. they just look like a nice, queenly size, without the protrusion. i think the high dome buttons are beyond perfection, especially on you =)2

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The true sign of greatness in jewellery - when our partners are surprised to be able to note improvements :lol:

Your jewellery fort was made for magpies :bigsmile:

"So lustrous, even my husband could see the difference". HAHA

I feel you have seen down deep into my soul, yssie. Yes, a clutter spot for magpies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results