shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a diamond be graded as VVS if it is clarity enhanced?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
We have been searching for a clarity enhanced diamond on eBay for a long time and we have found many many options. One local jeweler had explained us that clarity enhanced diamonds cannot be graded anything over VS2 legally, but there are many listings on eBay which claim to be VVS ? is this possible? can a diamond be VVS clarity after enhancement ?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the website of a well known CE diamond company, it would appear their highest clarity grade is VS1, so I am doubtful about VVS in CE, but one of the experts will probably chime in and advise, I would like to know for sure also.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The clarity grade of a diamond before enhancement is the same as after enhancement.

However, sellers generally use the "grade" it would appear to be after enhancement.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ditto JulieN.
May I ask why you would like to buy a CE diamond off ebay? Seems to be asking for trouble imho..

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nearly all clarity enhanced diamonds which are glass in-filled begin life as Imperfect clarity diamonds. The sellers tend to grade their clarity as they appear after the glass filling without taking into account the structural integrity, or lack of structural integrity of the enhanced diamond. They are putting the very best picture forward and no one seems willing to make an issue of it. Some glass in-filled diamonds do begin as SI or a rare one might get as far as VS diamond, but I doubt anyone has ever begun with a VVS diamond because there would never be a reason to "improve" such a high clarity stone.

Most of the selling of these diamonds is smoke and mirrors and much of the sales pitches are outright fraud. The informed who buy such diamonds are getting a pretty thing but they are aware of what they are buying. Far more unaware people buy them and do not understand the nature of their purchase. So long as they are happy I suppose there is no problem.

If a diamond which is glass in-filled looks like a VVS clarity after filling it would be a very rare one, but I suppose an unusual situation is possible although highly unlikely. I''d suggest such a statement is more likely a sales pitch and to be doubted until proven correct by independent examination. When you buy enhanced diamonds with glass in them, one must accept a high degree of imperfection exists in the stone which is simply less visible. It doesn''t change anything material, but it may be just what someone wants to fit their budget and desires.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dave!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please do not buy a CE stone. Most are unstable and won''t last a lifetime. Not to mention the poor cut, etc. and most of them just don''t sparkle.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Simple answer: no.
As far as I know..., there is no clarity enhance method as of yet that is not identifiable under 10X...

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Several experts have given you excellent advice

Are you a seller ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results