shape
carat
color
clarity

Can’t we all just get along ?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the most interesting aspects of lab diamonds is how they affect the diamond business.
Today I heard an ad for a jeweler who feels that lab diamonds are worthless. So much so that if you buy an “ Earth Born” diamond he’ll give you a lab grown 1ct diamond.
A tag line clarified that fact that only an “Earth Born” diamond signifies love.
WHAT???
Kind of sucks when sellers use negative aspects to sell what they have.
Especially if they’re just blowing smoke.
Lab diamonds are not going away.
How is it smart to insult folks that love them?
Sad actually
It has been a hot topic in the trade FB site David.
Personally I believe a lot of retailers who have moved the base of their business to grown diamonds will suffer. Even if they only sell memo stones and have not lost money on inventory.
This Singer guy is probably laughing all the way to the bank.
Personally though I am with you David - the 2 products will co exist.

Regarding how LGD buyers would feel reading this ad - there is a larger problem for the retailers however. Those who paid and are paying very high prices still. Many will be disappointed because true or not, they believed diamonds were some sort of store of value.
This is an excerpt from the book I may one day finish!

Initially price comparisons to natural diamonds were used as a sales tool. “Buy a lab grown diamond for half the price of a natural diamond”. That is two for the price of one. Five years later the wholesale price of a 4 carat F VS2 LGD round brilliant cut is 0.016% of an average natural diamond. That's 63 LGD 4 carat stones for the cost of one natural! I wonder how people who bought 5 years ago feel today?

end of book quote.
The retail margins are still crazy high, even online.
As I have said, larger stones should cost as much as half the price per carat as smaller stones. There is a long way for prices to fall yet to come.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results