shape
carat
color
clarity

Can’t find comps for a ring, has this happened to you?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ring that I’ve been trying to find comps for as I was considering listing it on LT but having no luck. It is an amethyst bow ring from the art nouveau period, I say that because searching art nouveau bow ring brings up rings with the same filigree detail. Still can’t find a similar bow ring even with different gemstones or even anything close.

Has this happened to you before? How did you price it or did you decide to hold on to it? Totally stumped!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post a pic? I love AN anything- I love butterflies, flowers etc - and most people list AN jewelry as art deco, because of the period.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RRfromR, here is the thread I made on it when I first got it in 2019. The filigree on it is divine but most people here know I have A LOT of rings so I haven’t worn this one in a while. Still, if I can’t find a comp for it? I’ll keep it and move on to something else:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aren't you able to use your purchase price as the starting point and calculate up/down from there based on scarcity/condition/market?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aren't you able to use your purchase price as the starting point and calculate up/down from there based on scarcity/condition/market?

I’ll have to look and see if I can find prior purchase history. So let’s say I paid $500 in 2019, if I can’t find another like it, how do I account for scarcity? Mind you, I had no idea this style ring was that hard to find, I’m surprised to say the least.

Then as a realist I know it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it :read:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, purchase history doesn’t go back to 2019 so that’s a dead end.

Closest I’ve found is this but this one, at least to me is a little clumsy looking.

6859D8BD-F043-4306-85DD-32B0873FBBD2.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing that @marymm, I have found examples in the vertical position but nothing to speak of in the horizontal. I might just have to hang on to it and destash something else lol!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to say anywhere between 300.00 -400.00+ dollars is a very competitive price range. I would actually list for what you bought it for first, it's not a common design. These are similar, but none are duplicate.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ItsMainelyYou, awesome, thanks for looking for me. I really wish I could find out how much I paid for it but EBay history doesn’t go back that far.

I think this is why I don’t sell as much now, it’s a PIA!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you used a credit card or paypal can you get the history from either of those?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lookinagain, good thinking, at the time I don’t think I was using a credit card on EBay (bad Yada!) but we have been using PayPal for EBay for a long time. I’ll have to look into it. Maybe I could search the bank statements online but that would be quite the ordeal to try to find one transaction over a year and possibly not the only one from PayPal.

@CircularBrilliant, wow, that’s my ring just about. A few things are behind the price on the aqua:

Aqua is higher priced in these rings

It’s an Ostby Barton

Peter Suchy tends to be very expensive

Still, I could find a bow ring and you found it, so thank you for that.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate everyone’s suggestions and advice, just wanted to say that :wavey:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t worry so much about finding comps. Just pick a price that you think is fair that you would be happy with. To me your ring looks more Edwardian than Art Nouveau so maybe that would help with the search.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The mark of a great ring! Nothing better than finding no comps! Plus, with an amethyst, the whole value of the ring is tied to the era, design, execution, adherence to the Art Nouveau ethos, etc. Not even sure how much it matters if it is a diamond vs. an amethyst if it is iconic Art Nouveau.

Edit: I do not see your ring; just talking in the abstract.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CaseyLouLou, yeah the problem is sometimes I think I price things too low for my own good. So I just want to make sure I don’t give it away, you know?

@LilAlex, aw thanks, of course I think it’s a piece of art but probably a bit biased since I own it :lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this today on EBay, kind of wish they had some shots of the gallery and of course it’s listed for $550 but who knows if it will sell for that price. Something to keep an eye on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results