shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling this an OEC? Expert help.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi- I am seeing this stone they are calling an OEC - I can get a photo as well but here are the proportions. Large table for one- looks pretty in video but may be dark on center when it’s still. Any thoughts? 49A1FCB7-CC1A-4164-9135-6B188B0A227A.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d generally be wary of a stone whose depth is less than the table and the crown height looks low for a classic OEC.
However my own OEC has a table just larger than its depth and a low crown and it is very sparkly and bright so it's not an immediate no. I’d really want to see photos and video under a range of lighting conditions.
Given how many ‘proper’ OECs are available, is this an especially compelling combination of specs, price or size that you’re considering it?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, until we can see a picture we're a bit hamstrung. The table is quite large for an OEC and I wonder about fisheye as it's quite shallow. But everybody is right, you can't judge without seeing.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi- I am seeing this stone they are calling an OEC - I can get a photo as well but here are the proportions. Large table for one- looks pretty in video but may be dark on center when it’s still. Any thoughts? 49A1FCB7-CC1A-4164-9135-6B188B0A227A.jpeg

B10240F1-CAD4-4E0B-A529-C5E4189AA865.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C9DB7CD-2AA1-49FF-93C0-F1954D188A2B.jpeg
    8C9DB7CD-2AA1-49FF-93C0-F1954D188A2B.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 49CB779B-14D2-4C81-9188-ED514E0D484D.jpeg
    49CB779B-14D2-4C81-9188-ED514E0D484D.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 67

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I also submitted some photos. Trying to get the video uploaded.

it’s a little confusing, but the only way to share a video is by posting it on a website like YouTube or Vimeo and then sharing a link

But to be honest, this stone doesn’t look promising

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This pic looks problematic. And what’s the clarity. There looks to be a huge feather on the pavilion?

Attachments

• 3FE8978D-2728-42FA-95C4-1C7DEA3C4B90.png
    3FE8978D-2728-42FA-95C4-1C7DEA3C4B90.png
    681.8 KB · Views: 24

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
it’s a little confusing, but the only way to share a video is by posting it on a website like YouTube or Vimeo and then sharing a link

But to be honest, this stone doesn’t look promising

Thank you. I’ll try and do that but appreciate your help!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's looking like a very shallow, flat stone. Unfortunately, I don't think this would make you happy.
The good news is that there are other stones out there!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. I think this is an example of a not OK OEC that’s got a huge table and is very shallow. I think it’s not going to be very sparkly or behave at all how you would want an OEC to behave I’m afraid.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I’d generally be wary of a stone whose depth is less than the table and the crown height looks low for a classic OEC.
However my own OEC has a table just larger than its depth and a low crown and it is very sparkly and bright so it's not an immediate no. I’d really want to see photos and video under a range of lighting conditions.
Given how many ‘proper’ OECs are available, is this an especially compelling combination of specs, price or size that you’re considering it?

Yes it was. It’s white looking all around and they said 100% eye clean and good size.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. I think this is an example of a not OK OEC that’s got a huge table and is very shallow. I think it’s not going to be very sparkly or behave at all how you would want an OEC to behave I’m afraid.

I wondered the same. I asked about a fish eye and Ofcourse they said no….. and sent that photo w the stone in hand. I’m sure I need to see it for myself but one
Of the photos it was dark in the center but I wasn’t sure if that could have been the camera’s reflection. I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, I thought this may be too good to be true. In budget. White looking and said 100-% eye clean.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Tbh, I don’t think this stone is worth seeing in person. The depth plus table size is a problem on this stone. And this is coming from a person who had a spready OEC (the table on my first OEC was 53%).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Tbh, I don’t think this stone is worth seeing in person. The depth plus table size is a problem on this stone. And this is coming from a person who had a spready OEC (the table on my first OEC was 53%).

Agreed. It’s not a nicely cut OEC and they aren’t rare enough by any stretch to make settling worth it

If you tell us what you’re looking for, we can help you find something better!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Not nicely cut. It most closely resembled a later European cut, sometimes called American cut or transitional, but it might also just be a poorly cut MRB or something. The faceted girdle tells us it’s been touched up at some point as true old cuts usually have knife edge or bruted girdles. The culet can lead towards old cut status but maybe just a chip that was “solved” lol

You can do better.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed. It’s not a nicely cut OEC and they aren’t rare enough by any stretch to make settling worth it

If you tell us what you’re looking for, we can help you find something better!

Thank you everyone. I will be back w another potential one I found. Thanks again.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. Not nicely cut. It most closely resembled a later European cut, sometimes called American cut or transitional, but it might also just be a poorly cut MRB or something. The faceted girdle tells us it’s been touched up at some point as true old cuts usually have knife edge or bruted girdles. The culet can lead towards old cut status but maybe just a chip that was “solved” lol

You can do better.

Thank you so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results