shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Sapphire Experts- Are Native Cuts ok?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

So the quest for a great ring continues. After sitting down and talking about my ring, I don''t think we''re going to go with a cushion as I had wanted. The reason being that all we can afford right now (we like to pay cash, not pay on credit)would be a smaller than 1 carat cushion in WG as we are saving for a house and in graduate school. While I LOVE the look of this size on many people, I tried some on today and it just looked out of place on my finger, and everyone was right, it is hard to tell it''s a cushion at that size without a really "square" setting like TGals, which isn''t my style either.

Since I love sapphires also we thought we might try and find an antique (or vintage or repro) sapphire ring for now and then make it a RHR later once we can afford the cushion I want. I found a great looking on from Fay Cullen (I have already been warned about the customer service, but people seem to think she offers a good deal and her rings are nice), but it is a native cut sapphire.

I LOVE the color of this sapphire, as I don''t like the really saturated colors for myself but I was wondering a few things:

1. What is windowing and is it really a big deal?
2. Are native cuts really that bad? Or just not as nice as it "could be" if it was cut optimally?
3. Does the $2,000 price tag seem somewhat fair?

Thanks for everyones help...Sapphires seem to be a bit difficult for me to figure out.

BTW: The ring is about $2,000 with full cut diamonds and set in platinum. The sapphire is 2.62 carats, untreated (can you really ever know this for sure?), and it is from Ceylon. Since the entire price of the ring is basically the price of some of the platinum settings I have been looking at, I don''t think it''s a big deal if the stone isn''t worth a ton but I want to make sure if my BF were to purchase it (not that he would tell me) that it wouldn''t be a rip off.

Calliering2.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Windows are when you can see right through the stone to the other side. I would only accept a very small, very unoticeable window. They are very distracting.

I think we should move away from "native cut." Since "native cut" almost always means a poorly cut stone, it says that natives are less skilled...

Well, it might be a nice price, it might not be. Really should have an appraiser check it out.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful color!!!!!!

Linda

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think that ring is beautiful.

I wouldn't get too goofy about "native cuts" as long as the stone l@@ks pretty. At least one expert (Vincent Pardieu [sp?]) has said that some 'natives' are particularly gifted at getting the most out of colored stones, even if it means breaking some scientific cutting rules.
2.gif

If you're interested in antiques, also check out: http://www.melsantiquejewelry.com/ . They have a return policy similar to Fay's, but provide LOTS of great pictures, and their descriptions are accurate. (I've bought from them..)

Here's one of theirs I love...so much so that I'd be tempted to buy it and have someone cut a light sapph to replace this dark one. I love the OMCs. It's Deco, of the period, platinum, and has French hallmarks! (about $1800)

widget

mels1800.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
is it just me or does the top of the stone appear to be faceted? if so, windowing would be less of a problem.

movie zombie

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade

This kind of sapphire is rather inexpensive, heated or not though very nice. In retail, you should pay around $200/Ct dollar for the sapphire itself, then just look around for the price of the setting.

The ring is very nice.

These sapphires are always traded in native cuts and the stones are usually as good as could be, except if you wanted to reduce the size significantly (or to change the shape as they always come in the same shape). The cut of you stone looks good (and is the most usual cut for these sapphires).

On a whole the price seems appropriate.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends who you ask. I own a native cut sapphire.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Are you able to return the ring if you don''t love it?
I see nothing wrong with white gold by the way. In fact I would use it if I was on a budget. I have two platinum rings ( e-ring and wedding band) but I think my white gold rings are brighter. I would consider using it if your on a budget.
Where are you looking for rings? Is the price of this ring roughly your budget?

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I think Native cut is becoming a dated term. There are some pretty advanced lapidaries even in Sri Lanka; including some that cut diamonds for a very large siteholder. In thinking about it, the siteholder has to divert diamonds to Sri Lanka (something not traditionally done) for them to be cut, polished and then exported. They also have all of the technology you would expect a modern lapidary to have. And yes - this lapidary also cuts sapphires. This does not mean there are not a lot of stones still being cut by others in very funky proportions and shapes. But, I think instead of "native" cut; you should just look at the cut. Are you happy with it? The sapphire in that picture has a tiny window -- something I think most people, including myself, would probably be happy with.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for the advice!

It''s gone from the site...so either I will be the proud owner of it soon, or someone else got to it before my BF. He wants my advice/insight, but I know that he''ll buy a ring without telling me one of these days, so I don''t know if this is the one or not!

I appreciate everyone''s insight, and I agree that "native cut" is probably a dated term, but since it was one used to describe the stone, I figured I should ask the experts.

Innerkitten: yes, we are able to return it, but I am sure if BF bought it and doesn''t love it (and that''s a big if...I don''t think he was the one who nabbed it) he would return it in a heartbeat. He''s much more discriminating than me!

The only reason I don''t want white gold is that I don''t want to have to deal with replating, PLUS I am allergic to Nickel, so I need to be super sure that the WG we got would be not nickel alloyed. Since I love this type of ring AND it''s in our budget, I think we''ll try and find another ring that''s similar.

THANK YOU!!! I''ll let everyone know (with plenty of pics) if this one ends up mine...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results