shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Kenny, PinkJewel, TL, Chrono, and all pink diamond experts!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hi friends,

I'm working on my engagement ring, which is very exciting! Originally, I'd settled on the idea of a 1ct bright white pear (D-H) with a budget around $4k or less. I'm having a sudden calling, though, to consider a pink FCD. At my pricepoint, they will be tiny. Could I have your opinions, please, on the following two diamonds?

This one is beautiful, and has a very nice spread, but I'm concerned that it will be so light in color that I won't really be noticeable or even seem like a pink diamond. I once purchased a brownish pink FCD from Liebish that was a 'light' GIA color grade, and it seemed kind of washed out in real life. The color just didn't really show. However, the spread of this one is really appealing, as is the price.
https://www.leibish.com/pink-diamonds/light-pink-pear-38834

This one is beautiful, and the color is fabulous! But so tiny. 3.3 x 3.8mm. I will halo it, and my ring size is 4 3/4, so I think a smaller ring will be just fine, but the 3-4mm range is so tiny. Is it 'too small'? Do you have/have you seen any FCD's in that size, and could you share a photo or link if you've seen one?
https://www.leibish.com/pink-diamonds/fancy-purplish-pink-6pr-heart-41073

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CD99E8A1-5FAF-44EE-8800-2616276BAF28.jpeg

I’m not really an expert on pink diamonds, but all I will say is that I suspect color enhanced images on the first one or the white balance is off. Here’s a screenshot of part of the background on one of the 360 images that you don’t see on the heart images. The second one is much better color albeit smaller. The first one looks a bit hazy as well, and the color saturation toward the top of the pear might bother some people.

Fine color stands out no matter the size.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Fascinating - you're right, and now that you mention it, I wonder if color enhancement/adjustment led to some of my disappointment over the other Leibish brown-pink that I purchased a few years ago. I think the pear is out, in that case.

What's left is the heart, then. What do you all think? I'm ok with small, but is .17 magnifying glass small?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating - you're right, and now that you mention it, I wonder if color enhancement/adjustment led to some of my disappointment over the other Leibish brown-pink that I purchased a few years ago. I think the pear is out, in that case.

What's left is the heart, then. What do you all think? I'm ok with small, but is .17 magnifying glass small?
Well I like the photo of it in the hand, and if you halo it with white melee, it will not only enhance the color, but make the stone look bigger IMO. Size is subjective, but if you want a larger pink diamond, you’re either going to have to sell your first born child , or go for inferior color, and if you ever saw Kenny’s collection, he did not sacrifice color for size. His stones are beautiful even though small.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the nice thing about Leibish is that they’re a trustworthy vendor, and you can inspect the stone for a period before keeping it.

Brown pinks can be very brown. Rose gold tends to enhance the color. With your pink, what ever you decide, a rose gold basket would be a must.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very true, a good halo can really enhance a stone, and I'm keeping a budget for a custom setting. I'm definitely planning to halo with white melee. I agree, too, that a good halo can make a center stone seem larger.

Last edited:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
How about this purple:

https://www.leibish.com/pink-diamonds/fancy-brownish-purple-pink-pear-37136

It has a lot of color and is within budget, and a bit more size too. I've just never really seen a purple diamond ring (IRL or on PS), though, and not sure if it will look basically brown in IRL or keep its color.

Or this .29 fancy orangy pink? This one is along the lines of the diamond I'd purchased previously (that didn't hold its color). But perhaps a custom setting could make the difference?

https://www.leibish.com/pink-diamonds/fancy-orangy-pink-pear-37135

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s always hard for me to read DBL’s pictures because I think he shines bright light on them and the background is a bit dark. Colored stones and white and colored diamonds should be viewed on a white background in diffused light, and also lighting that does not bring out fluorescence. If there is fluorescence, photos should be requested of how it looks in sunlight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s always hard for me to read DBL’s pictures because I think he shines bright light on them and the background is a bit dark. Colored stones and white and colored diamonds should be viewed on a white background in diffused light, and also lighting that does not bring out fluorescence. If there is fluorescence, photos should be requested of how it looks in sunlight.
I still like the heart the best. I suspect that might be much browner or dull looking IRL, but I could be wrong.

That pear tip is awfully dark and takes away from the sparkle factor. To me, diamonds should sparkle. Sometimes when they’re a bit too dark, they look much less like diamonds.

I hope others chime in to give their opinions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with Liebish, you get what you pay for. If something seems a “bargain,” there’s probably a good reason why. They really know their stuff.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the heart. I know it's smaller, but the color is wonderful. The first option you posted looks washed out to me. The other options just don't look at nice to me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
F038AE27-0855-4E37-B3AE-6A3D7F816845.jpeg 695112C0-5914-46F6-952B-2BC398BB420D.jpeg Here’s both side by side. The pear is slightly more saturated than the heart, but it’s smaller. If considering either of these, I would like a photo of them next to each other.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I still like the heart the best. I suspect that might be much browner or dull looking IRL, but I could be wrong.

That pear tip is awfully dark and takes away from the sparkle factor. To me, diamonds should sparkle. Sometimes when they’re a bit too dark, they look much less like diamonds.

I hope others chime in to give their opinions.

Agreed, I think the purple brown is out. I'm sure you're right that there is probably a reason behind the bargain price. DBL's photography can be confusing for me too. I really appreciate it when they offer a video.

I'm always confused as to why some vendors offer photos that show off the best possible color (or when online daters use younger/slimmer photos!) - if all goes well, eventually I'd like to see the 'candidate' in person, so, the glamor shots seem like an opportunity for disappointment.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did that pear com from? I didn't see that in any of the choices OP posted.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
F038AE27-0855-4E37-B3AE-6A3D7F816845.jpeg 695112C0-5914-46F6-952B-2BC398BB420D.jpeg Here’s both side by side. The pear is slightly more saturated than the heart, but it’s smaller. If considering either of these, I would like a photo of them next to each other.

Great idea! I just 'drew' out the shapes on an online printable ruler to get a feel for the size. The pear is small!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re tiny, but once set, especially if fine color, they stand out. This is coming from someone who loves humongous gems. Pears also tend to look larger than their face up size as they are long and also elongate the finger. Marquise really look huge for their carat weight too, even more so than pears.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both small, unfortunately. Have you looked at diamonds by lauren?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
14DE4198-76E7-4846-BBDC-9D3CDB00941A.jpeg Here’s a photo of a just under 4mm ruby on my fat finger. As you can see it’s very small.
The halo around a wee gem needs to be smaller, like 1.5mm max and that’s really tiny. You are likely to visually lose the heart shape with a diamond halo.
20 odd years ago I was wanting a pink diamond for my engagement ring. I was looking at just under .50 points Arygle tender diamond and I thought the price then, $30,000, was absolutely ridiculous. It was proper pink and a VS. Ha, same diamond would be closer to $150,000 these days. Nevertheless I don’t regret passing on the pink diamond.
Have you see the lab grown Lightbox diamonds? These are real diamonds, not synthetic or look a like , just lab grown. You can buy a .75 carat, pretty pink (single earring stud) for $700.
You could buy a beautiful 1 carat pink sapphire for around $1,000 too.
So, you’re paying a really hefty premium to have a somewhat pink, quite included tiny natural pink diamond.
And I’ll say it - virtually no one is going to go “wow a real Pink diamond people” will go “you paid how much for such a small diamond”?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357,
The 4mm ruby will look fabulous in a ring because the color stands out.

I know size is subjective, but I don’t think it’s too small because if the color,

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14DE4198-76E7-4846-BBDC-9D3CDB00941A.jpeg Here’s a photo of a just under 4mm ruby on my fat finger. As you can see it’s very small.
The halo around a wee gem needs to be smaller, like 1.5mm max and that’s really tiny. You are likely to visually lose the heart shape with a diamond halo.
20 odd years ago I was wanting a pink diamond for my engagement ring. I was looking at just under .50 points Arygle tender diamond and I thought the price then, $30,000, was absolutely ridiculous. It was proper pink and a VS. Ha, same diamond would be closer to $150,000 these days. Nevertheless I don’t regret passing on the pink diamond.
Have you see the lab grown Lightbox diamonds? These are real diamonds, not synthetic or look a like , just lab grown. You can buy a .75 carat, pretty pink (single earring stud) for $700.
You could buy a beautiful 1 carat pink sapphire for around $1,000 too.
So, you’re paying a really hefty premium to have a somewhat pink, quite included tiny natural pink diamond.
And I’ll say it - virtually no one is going to go “wow a real Pink diamond people” will go “you paid how much for such a small diamond”?
I hate De Beers with all my heart, but agree in this case. Natural fancy pink diamonds are insanely expensive. I likely would either try to find a pinkish color that isn't quite fancy pink, or get a lab grown stone.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I'm inclined to go for a stronger colour over size especially in fancy diamonds.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CD99E8A1-5FAF-44EE-8800-2616276BAF28.jpeg

I’m not really an expert on pink diamonds, but all I will say is that I suspect color enhanced images on the first one or the white balance is off. Here’s a screenshot of part of the background on one of the 360 images that you don’t see on the heart images. The second one is much better color albeit smaller. The first one looks a bit hazy as well, and the color saturation toward the top of the pear might bother some people.

Fine color stands out no matter the size.

https://cdn.leibish.com/media/360/diamonds/38360/diamond-382033-00.jpg

If you press F12 on your keyboard you can go into the code and see their beginning 360 file.

As you mentioned, the background appears pinkish, which is weird to me. Not sure why it is that way (maybe artifact or some type) But they should correct this issue.

Reactions: T L

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have a fancy light pink .30 ct pear in my bracelet as well as a .51 ct round fancy light pink. The lighting in my bathroom is horrible, but you can see what size they both look like on my wrist. Another idea is you can bezel in rose gold (like I did) and then halo that to add to size. Maybe even double halo...? 20190909_201000.jpg
20190909_201022.jpg

Reactions: AV_

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I think 4mm would be great with similarly sized white diamonds in a three stone ring. Of course, it depends on your setting preference and budget.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
14DE4198-76E7-4846-BBDC-9D3CDB00941A.jpeg

Great points. I think it would only be worth it if the color was really excellent. And agreed, you are right that most people will not by wowed for the some of the muddier pinks/somewhat pinks (which are most of them). I don't need hand-grabbing attention, but if I got a pink diamond, I do at least want it to look *pink*.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have a fancy light pink .30 ct pear in my bracelet as well as a .51 ct round fancy light pink. The lighting in my bathroom is horrible, but you can see what size they both look like on my wrist. Another idea is you can bezel in rose gold (like I did) and then halo that to add to size. Maybe even double halo...? 20190909_201000.jpg
20190909_201022.jpg

Beautiful, Mrs. Strizzle! Great point on adding a bezel + halo for a little more size and color pop.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a DBL pink diamond of 30 points on the hand in a double halo. I’m not advocating the ring, just wanted to show a hand shot for size. An inner pink diamond halo would also give the illusion of larger size for the center stone.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...rple-pink-cushion-diamond-rosy-halo-gia-r3858

Thanks, TL! That's the kind of inspiration shot I was looking for. The setting is perfect for it, and it definitely doesn't look too small in that setting.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results