shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Cushion Experts! Cehra question on chart....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 12:46:09 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 4/13/2007 12:28:11 PM

Author: neatfreak

Can I ask who you''re working with? Because I believe that Scott (not positive), Jeff, Fatafelice (another one to look at), and myself have all gotten our cushions from Mark at ERD. He really knows his stuff and has managed to get all of us pretty much exactly what we want with only simple directions about the kind of stones we like.

If you send him pictures of any of our cushions he will be happy to source some for you and he is unofficially known as the ''cushion king'' here on PS.

ITA - and now that I''m looking at your avatar some more, I think you have a modern cushion (still could be called a cushion brilliant - both the antique and moderns have the same cut name) which is set as jeff would say on the equitorial lines LOL or something like that! But it looks a little different than that in the center too... I dunno... I''d have to loupe it! ha!!

Lol even I haven''t been able to figure it out. It''s not quite antique, but not quite modern and all the facets are very clear like an antique, no "crushed" look but it is really really brilliant and throws off light kind of like a modern round. It''s certainly an odd ball...but that''s why I love it!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 12:43:48 PM
Author: Scott 00
WHOA! I REALLY like stone #2, it has that ''draw your eye in'' quality and that culet virtual facet is very beautiful. I *AM* biased because its like a larger cousin to my lil baby
30.gif
you talking about the kozibe? yes... beautiful! And I was thinking the same thing... scott''s gonna love *this* one cause it''s just like HIS! haha!!!! I like them both - flip a coin! I love what my big hugeo side facets do... it loses a little something at high mag in the sym department (not actual symmetry just yanno, longer stone, longer culet etc) but those facets do amazing things in person!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 12:56:46 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 4/13/2007 12:46:09 PM

ITA - and now that I''m looking at your avatar some more, I think you have a modern cushion (still could be called a cushion brilliant - both the antique and moderns have the same cut name) which is set as jeff would say on the equitorial lines LOL or something like that! But it looks a little different than that in the center too... I dunno... I''d have to loupe it! ha!!
Lol even I haven''t been able to figure it out. It''s not quite antique, but not quite modern and all the facets are very clear like an antique, no ''crushed'' look but it is really really brilliant and throws off light kind of like a modern round. It''s certainly an odd ball...but that''s why I love it!
The modern cushions that share that GIA cert name of "cushion brilliant" are not like crushed ice... they''re also very cleanly cut, very brilliant, somewhat chunky, but not as chunky.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
They are both quite nice, but I would give #2 the edge, especially based on your personal preferences.

The most hilarious part is, as always, that those two stones, which are clearly miles apart optically, have the same cert name and facet plot.

re: brilliant vs. modified issue (i.e., how these could be called modified), these stones are modified because of that extra "row" of of facets on the pavillion, as opposed to other "modifieds" (the crushed-ice modifieds) that have an entirely different facet structure. The stones you posted, if they are in fact modified, look more like antique stones because they have the same 8pav-main facet structure (with the same orientation), but just have that extra row of facets. I have seen some 8pav-main "modified brilliants" that look like this, but none as nice as #2. I think that although the middle of the stone has a very antique look, there will be a little more pinfire in the outer-section of the stone because of the extra facets.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 1:03:20 PM
Author: boston_jeff
They are both quite nice, but I would give #2 the edge, especially based on your personal preferences.

The most hilarious part is, as always, that those two stones, which are clearly miles apart optically, have the same cert name and facet plot.

re: brilliant vs. modified issue (i.e., how these could be called modified), these stones are modified because of that extra ''row'' of of facets on the pavillion, as opposed to other ''modifieds'' (the crushed-ice modifieds) that have an entirely different facet structure. The stones you posted, if they are in fact modified, look more like antique stones because they have the same 8pav-main facet structure (with the same orientation), but just have that extra row of facets. I have seen some 8pav-main ''modified brilliants'' that look like this, but none as nice as #2. I think that although the middle of the stone has a very antique look, there will be a little more pinfire in the outer-section of the stone because of the extra facets.
there ya go... you take over for a while jeff, I have to run out and get coffee and treats for my dh and kids who all but 1 seem to be home today!!! :) I still don''t see the modified facets... bah!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 12:55:38 PM
Date: 4/13/2007 12:38:31 PM

Author: yellowsparkles

LOL. Scot00! My daughter loves those ring lollypops! Thanks for the post. I am in the process of getting prices for both stones. the 1.54 ct stone has a ration of 1.09 and the 2.04 ct cushion''s ration is 1.037. I also prefer the squarish cushons... just looks better on my hand. OK. I was shying away from the 2.04 because of the depth. Here is the picture of the 2.04.... what do you think compared to the 1.54???
okay I don''t read ahead well LOL There''s nothing to shy away from with this stone! It''s gorgeous! If you prefer more square stones then by all means don''t let this one scare you off!!! It''s beautiful! Reminds me of xraydoc''s stone!

xraydoc''s stone is so nice, but everytime I see this picture I want to put my hands around the outer edge of the table and push it in about 7%
37.gif

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
OK You guys are reading my mind. When I was sent both pics of both stones, my gut reaction was partial to number 2 (2.04ct) stone. After reading the certs, I was scared off my by the numbers... mainly depth and paying for a stone that doesn''t face up large enough. Then again, I want a pillowy cushion (or treasure chest ) and I shouldn''t look at face up numbers.

I tried to attach the GIA certs and the files are too large. I will post them as soon as I can figure out how to do this.

Thanks sooooo much for the great input.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Here is the cert for stone #1 , the 1.54ct stone

mod cert 154.JPG

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
cert for larger stone.
Can you see them???

mod cert 204.jpg

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
So the girdle on #2 is thick and that might be where some of the weight is "hidden", but honestly I would prefer a thicker girdle vs a super thin one (like mine) since it is alot more sturdy, my bezel set ring was the only way I would feel comfortable wearing it for fear of chipping the edge (well and because it fits my aesthetic better too). My mom''s OMC has a thick girdle and it''s not a problem whatsoever.

May I ask if the stone vendor is the same as the person you wish to fabricate your ring
10.gif
... I just noticed that the photography setup looks similar to other pictures I''ve seen, with how crisp the facets are in stone #2...

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
BTW I just wanted to say that your FIY stone is very attractive, I like the pureness of the yellow. I''ve recently gotten into colored diamonds and I am happy with my FV orangy-yellow stone but at night its a hint too saturated, and I wonder if FIY would have been a better route for not having that happen.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Sure you can ask... Yes both stones are from the same vendor and yes the person I wish to fabricate my ring.
10.gif
Is there something I should be concerned with regarding the photography? What about the black bacground?? Opinions?

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 2:52:30 PM
Author: Scott 00
BTW I just wanted to say that your FIY stone is very attractive, I like the pureness of the yellow. I''ve recently gotten into colored diamonds and I am happy with my FV orangy-yellow stone but at night its a hint too saturated, and I wonder if FIY would have been a better route for not having that happen.
Have you posted pictures of your orangy yellow stone? I would like to see it.

BTW I love the color of my stone - that I am happy with. I am just second guessing my cut. I have a cushion that has a large table, flat crown and is "crushed ice". Also at the end of the day it just seems to lack the sparkles. Maybe it is the med blue floro?

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
No nothing to be concerned about, I just noticed that his photo set up can sometimes really capture such beautiful images which I can see in real life in my own diamonds, but I have a devil of a time getting similar on my camera! Actually I had to go clean them NOW so that they''d look crisp like that again
11.gif

Are you in a position to see them in person? If not perhaps an IdealScope pic might be nice... I picked my stones (4 cushions and a round shape) all without the benefit of an IS but its a nice confidence booster, which I took on my own IS at home and Garry was nice enough to chime in on them. My guess is that he doesnt provide that but since he sees some serious bling in his work, I am sure that a short phone conversation with his personal impressions can help give you a sense of the differences and how much sparkle each stone has! I can''t wait to see which of his pretty settings you choose
2.gif
While most people go with his more "traditional" fare, I am deeply impressed with his more albeit less frequent sleek, modern designs... esp that matte acid texture that he does!

ps I just realized how sad it is that I recognized the photo setup hehehehe

Date: 4/13/2007 2:57:32 PM
Sure you can ask... Yes both stones are from the same vendor and yes the person I wish to fabricate my ring.
10.gif
Is there something I should be concerned with regarding the photography? What about the black bacground?? Opinions?

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
The fluoro possibly bleaches the richness of the yellow in sunlight but as far as the sparkle, well, crushed ice cushions/radiants are known to have more leakage in order to intensify the perceived color saturation of the stone so its a compromise.

The high crown on #2 ought to give you the HUGE bold bolts of colored light that often distracts me when I am walking
10.gif
Also its been my personal experience that square/round vs elongated shapes tend to have a stronger light return when looking directly above whereas the more elongated shapes (esp high crowned cushions) have some additional kick from sideways viewing with a small hit on face up brilliance. The square shapes will also give a more consistent appearance irrespective of the N/S/E/W orientation of viewing, whereas the longer stones tend to have different personalities depending on the orientation and that sometimes presents one with a dilemma as to how to set...

I guess that is why I have several stones! No ONE cut can win them all but if you wear several at the same time, you are bound to get one of them to sparkle like mad (well except in pitch black, but then that is what my handy dandy blacklight is for... blue fluorescence and orange phosphorescence anyone??)
34.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a random thought.... I was looking back over when you got your yellow cushion and later how you mentioned you still loved the yellow color.... have you considered getting a cushion in a MNOPQRST sort of range? You could get the bigger stone you wanted and the antique cushion types look *amazing* in this color range.... mine is a J and I would probably avoid IJK because they seem to me to be kinda in between colors.... I mean I like my stone but... well anyway, if you like more color but less than a fancy you could really get a much larger stone for the $$ in tha color range.... just a thought :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still can''t believe those are mods... I keep looking at the pavillion and face shots and going okay so where are these extra facets hiding? they have to be hiding up high because under the table is crisp and clean, but under the crown it looks crisp too so ????????? weird, just weird!!!

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 4:00:05 PM
I have a random thought.... I was looking back over when you got your yellow cushion and later how you mentioned you still loved the yellow color.... have you considered getting a cushion in a MNOPQRST sort of range? You could get the bigger stone you wanted and the antique cushion types look *amazing* in this color range.... mine is a J and I would probably avoid IJK because they seem to me to be kinda in between colors.... I mean I like my stone but... well anyway, if you like more color but less than a fancy you could really get a much larger stone for the $$ in tha color range.... just a thought :)
Cehra,
That is a great thought. I have considered it. I have seen Ys and Zs during my last diamond hunt. I did like them. Probably wouldn''t go that low and I would have to see MNOPQRST range in person. It is something I have to see and try before buying. Even the Gs.... You know the stone has to "speak" to you and "feel" right when it is on the finger. I would like to go bigger. you know something more significant than my 1.37 that I have now. I don''t want to be looking to trade in again.
41.gif

OK. I am gong to call it a night.
24.gif

I need to spend time digesting all this information. Thanks for everyone''s help

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/13/2007 4:01:29 PM
I still can''t believe those are mods... I keep looking at the pavillion and face shots and going okay so where are these extra facets hiding? they have to be hiding up high because under the table is crisp and clean, but under the crown it looks crisp too so ????????? weird, just weird!!!
Not weird..., but you are right..., they are very high up..., and they are concealed using a spliting main facet method.
Meaning: spliting both main splits using only one facet... (I know this is confusing!!! But I am trying!)

I attached an image circling the point where the split facet meet (but face-up shows a reflection only!!!)

SplitPav2.JPG

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
OK, haven''t gone to bed yet. I was just thinking about my ring. I like it but I really want bigger. I like the FIY and in the right light it really does look intense. I like the intense opposed to pale lemonade.... But, I really want bigger.
emteeth.gif
The thought of a 2 ct pillow cushion is to die for. (ok that was extreme, but you get the point (maybe a 10 ct cushion is to die for
emotion-5.gif
)). I have always liked the old fashioned look of cushions and how each one is unique. I am not a jewelery wearer in general. I wear one piece and never change it. So I really want THE one ring and be happy with it forever. IS that possible???
face22.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/13/2007 6:00:45 PM
Author: DiaGem

Not weird..., but you are right..., they are very high up..., and they are concealed using a spliting main facet method.
Meaning: spliting both main splits using only one facet... (I know this is confusing!!! But I am trying!)

I attached an image circling the point where the split facet meet (but face-up shows a reflection only!!!)
But as it seem to happen way to often for a "world renowned" Lab. like GIA...., it seems to me that an inaccurate plot/sketch was attached to the report...
But we should all get used to it by now....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anything about cushions, but I am definitely admiring the pictures on this thread! Lovely stones!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 6:10:50 PM

But as it seem to happen way to often for a ''world renowned'' Lab. like GIA...., it seems to me that an inaccurate plot/sketch was attached to the report...
What about the other more square stone? I wish I could loupe these... I was figuring they were wrong on one but if they''re "wrong" on both then I must assume at least based on what I have that *I* am wrong... which is perfectly okay but I still have a hard time seeing the extra facets. I do see what you circled, and given a very large kite facet on the crown, you''re right... there''s no way for that little sliver to be just a reflection... you say it is a reflection but looking more I don''t know how it could be... I still don''t think it is the plot on the cert, but it definitely could fall under "modified" if there are extra facets. Actually that would answer a lot of questions if the OP asked the vendor to give the number of pav facets for both stones! I know I''m talking a bit in circles, but if this is truly a modified, it is an unusual modified! I''ve also not seen modifieds with such deep crowns.... until now? LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 6:05:22 PM
OK, haven''t gone to bed yet. I was just thinking about my ring. I like it but I really want bigger. I like the FIY and in the right light it really does look intense. I like the intense opposed to pale lemonade.... But, I really want bigger.
emteeth.gif
The thought of a 2 ct pillow cushion is to die for. (ok that was extreme, but you get the point (maybe a 10 ct cushion is to die for
emotion-5.gif
)). I have always liked the old fashioned look of cushions and how each one is unique. I am not a jewelery wearer in general. I wear one piece and never change it. So I really want THE one ring and be happy with it forever. IS that possible???
face22.gif
I''m not a super huge fan of pale lemonade either... I think the best color for cushions is more of a very light brownish yellow than a very intense yellow yellow... I mean different strokes and all that, but the antique pillow is designed for refraction and the stone you have is designed to intensify the color. Even your stone had it been cut differently would have had a less intense yellow but bigger refraction. I think, personal thought here, that no matter *what* color you go for you have to consider the cut first and it should be one that isn''t attempting to look white OR yellow. KWIM?

When I was choosing my stone I put cut then clarity then carat...... then color. Actually I think I established clarity first and really wanted a VS2 so I pretty much just looked at those. Then it was all about getting a really nice size in a cut that I found interesting and excelled at fire. I didn''t care what color it was. I was looking for a J because I liked warmth but the FIRST thing I said to myself when I opened the box is oh, that''s not yellow enough followed quickly by I can''t see the culet! LMAO!! The culet is slightly large LOL Anyway... I figured that if the stone came out of the ground, was the right clarity and cut then whatever color it brought with it was AOK to me. I was very excited that I''d found a J VS2 that was just awesome to me, but if I were to poof my *own* stone it would probably be closer to 4 carats and be an M or so LOL But that was me.

Ideal rounds are geared to return white light and you don''t really see through them very much. These antique cushions (like asschers) have a lot of windowing depending on the angle that you look at them. And it''s not a bad thing, it is an amazing thing, super duper wonderful refractions happen in those conditions. And having a bit of color to let the stone stand instead of just looking like glass, does help with these cuts IMO. It gives them another dimension of substance when you look at them from all sides and angles. But it isn''t that you want to go to a fancy intense shade... in that the color then becomes the star and the cut is just a supporting role. With the antique cuts they are sculptures where cut reigns and clarity is important and *some* color enhances it and size just magnifies the entire package. The bigger the better with this cut! hehehe ;-)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/13/2007 7:42:50 PM

Date: 4/13/2007 6:10:50 PM

But as it seem to happen way to often for a ''world renowned'' Lab. like GIA...., it seems to me that an inaccurate plot/sketch was attached to the report...
What about the other more square stone? I wish I could loupe these... I was figuring they were wrong on one but if they''re ''wrong'' on both then I must assume at least based on what I have that *I* am wrong... which is perfectly okay but I still have a hard time seeing the extra facets. I do see what you circled, and given a very large kite facet on the crown, you''re right... there''s no way for that little sliver to be just a reflection... you say it is a reflection but looking more I don''t know how it could be... I still don''t think it is the plot on the cert, but it definitely could fall under ''modified'' if there are extra facets. Actually that would answer a lot of questions if the OP asked the vendor to give the number of pav facets for both stones! I know I''m talking a bit in circles, but if this is truly a modified, it is an unusual modified! I''ve also not seen modifieds with such deep crowns.... until now? LOL
Check out the Pav and Crown on this baby..., and yes... according to the GIA... it would be called a modified too!!!! Alltough it was cut in the late 1800''s!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/check-this-out-tiffany-diamond-128-54-carats.60693/

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 7:55:03 PM

I'm not a super huge fan of pale lemonade either... I think the best color for cushions is more of a very light brownish yellow than a very intense yellow yellow... I mean different strokes and all that, but the antique pillow is designed for refraction and the stone you have is designed to intensify the color. Even your stone had it been cut differently would have had a less intense yellow but bigger refraction. I think, personal thought here, that no matter *what* color you go for you have to consider the cut first and it should be one that isn't attempting to look white OR yellow. KWIM?

When I was choosing my stone I put cut then clarity then carat...... then color. Actually I think I established clarity first and really wanted a VS2 so I pretty much just looked at those. Then it was all about getting a really nice size in a cut that I found interesting and excelled at fire. I didn't care what color it was. I was looking for a J because I liked warmth but the FIRST thing I said to myself when I opened the box is oh, that's not yellow enough followed quickly by I can't see the culet! LMAO!! The culet is slightly large LOL Anyway... I figured that if the stone came out of the ground, was the right clarity and cut then whatever color it brought with it was AOK to me. I was very excited that I'd found a J VS2 that was just awesome to me, but if I were to poof my *own* stone it would probably be closer to 4 carats and be an M or so LOL But that was me.

Ideal rounds are geared to return white light and you don't really see through them very much. These antique cushions (like asschers) have a lot of windowing depending on the angle that you look at them. And it's not a bad thing, it is an amazing thing, super duper wonderful refractions happen in those conditions. And having a bit of color to let the stone stand instead of just looking like glass, does help with these cuts IMO. It gives them another dimension of substance when you look at them from all sides and angles. But it isn't that you want to go to a fancy intense shade... in that the color then becomes the star and the cut is just a supporting role. With the antique cuts they are sculptures where cut reigns and clarity is important and *some* color enhances it and size just magnifies the entire package. The bigger the better with this cut! hehehe ;-)
What shade of yellow is that Tiffany cushion?
36.gif

I agree with you 100% regarding color. If one is to buy a fancy color, then the color is the star of the show. Nothing wrong with that at all. I still love fancy colors in diamonds.... but my budget won't allow me to have a 2+ carat intense color well cut stone. If size is a priority, I will have to go warmer shades.
I would love to see that M color 3 carat that is on hold right now with Leon -- Just to see what a 100 year old M color looks like.
4.gif

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
I have not read all of the posts ( too many babies!!) but one easy way you can see a difference in the types of stones is to go to www.Jamesallen.com and do a cushion search. They have images for lots of their cushions. Check the images against the plotting charts on the GIA reports. I was just looking at them yesterday! I want a funky, chunky one Baaadddddddd. See, that''s the problem with priscope-lol-it does not end with one stone or ring----it just wets your appetite for your next acquisition!!

Best wishes on getting and AWESOME stone!! These folks will help you all the way!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 2:01:44 AM
Check out the Pav and Crown on this baby..., and yes... according to the GIA... it would be called a modified too!!!! Alltough it was cut in the late 1800''s!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/check-this-out-tiffany-diamond-128-54-carats.60693/
You know DG that is a very interesting point.... its modified - but modified HOW? Hmm..... and I''ve only seen that one plot for modifieds.... but cushion brilliants have two distinctive plots and produce two very distinctive looks - and share a name. And yet old mine brilliants and SOME cushion brilliants can be almost indistinguishable.

yeah, cushions make no sense at all LOL And yet the pursuit of illumination drives me forward! I wish some of the attributes had names... or if they do, I knew what they were. There''s a name for just about every feature and quality in a round...

... and suddenly I am gripped with this fear that cushions will be overtaken and perfected and will lose all of their uniqueness and artistry... which I totally do not want. But it would be wonderful to be able to have these discussions about them with some common terms like... many of the cushions you''ve done have 8 uniform pavillions, whether the stone is square or elongated and I still prefer that look even in an elongated stone (like that maxmillion diamond) but some of these diamonds are cut on a long axis and have a slight bit of an emerald cut character to them which I didn''t like at first but have come to love in my stone and appreciate in others. And as of this thread I''ve seen that quality in a relatively (to the axis) square stone.

What I would be interested in seeing would be a stone that is elongated and has an OMC pattern with the 4 corner facets thinner than the 4 side facets, but the two sets of side facets the same size even though the stone is elongated... it would shift the corner a bit to the longer side... hmmm... I don''t know if that would look good, but I DO think it looks good to shift the corner facets off when all 8 pav mains are uniform diameter.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 9:35:10 AM
Author: kellyfish
I have not read all of the posts ( too many babies!!) but one easy way you can see a difference in the types of stones is to go to www.Jamesallen.com and do a cushion search. They have images for lots of their cushions. Check the images against the plotting charts on the GIA reports. I was just looking at them yesterday! I want a funky, chunky one Baaadddddddd. See, that''s the problem with priscope-lol-it does not end with one stone or ring----it just wets your appetite for your next acquisition!!

Best wishes on getting and AWESOME stone!! These folks will help you all the way!
::giggle:: there''s something about them for sure! Its funny because I really really am glad that this is my #1 stone, but now of course I want an asscher and marquise and of course a superideal round and an emerald and... and... and......!!!!!!!!!!!!

But hey maybe I''ll get them - I was hatching a plan last night (jokingly though I think he was serious haha) to "earn" more diamond money :D
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results