shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling antique cushions experts - thoughts on 2 stones

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably 80% chance I’m not in the market yet so nobody waste too much time but this stone caught my eye. Love the shape, Maltese cross and mostly of course the size! Thoughts? Has it a bit of a bow tie going on? And the N? Hmmm

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/3-58ct-elongated-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-n-si2

Then that off course got me on to looking in other places. These one is smaller but shape is so similar and obvs. the color. And it still sizeable. No mention of eyeclean but looks like it might be. Maybe some of the facets are a little mushy though?

Recently been thinking I would like to do an Art Deco style 3 stone with emerald sides. Before looking at these I was thinking an AVC stone, rectangular cushion around 8mm so about 2 carat or smidge over in I color. Fairly specific and no sign of anything like that in recent times. I would have probably done a mix of white and gold metal.

With the two stones above I would go yellow gold and maybe ruby sides. Maybe a bit more Victorian in style.

Would be interested in others thoughts on any of the above garble
:roll2:

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
They are both lovely stones from reputable vendors so both will be winners. The JbEG appears whiter to me. She says in the listing it’s 100% eye clean though you’d have to see for yourself.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey thanks for commenting. I didn’t notice a color difference so that’s interesting. I found it hard to judge by the JbG videos as they were so blurry. Seemed to me like Grace wasn’t so enthusiastic in her write up as she sometimes is maybe that’s what is making me question the stone.
I cannot buy and see as I’m in the UK.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the depth on the IG one?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know enough about antique cushions to comment anything helpful to you,
But i do notice JbG videos are much clearer for me looked at thru her smugmug account, rather than viewing thru her website.

ETA I think emerald or rubies would look stunning with either of these diamond’s color.
I think getting one of the vendors to shoot a video in the same environment/lighting that the other vendor already has, is key for comparison- but unsure of which vendor who’d be more apt to do so happily.

Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And here is JbG
59BE9CE0-1288-467A-82C7-3C4641767008.png CC888478-4B1E-49B9-B76B-51224520BD62.png

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher thanks for the tip I will attempt to find that account!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ALso not a super expert but based on the images etc they seem promising. I don't see any glaring red flags. Wondering about whether they are actually eye clean, that may explain the price difference among other factors.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
People’s interpretation of eye clean seems to vary quite a lot, and some people’s eyes see or don’t see some inclusions. For me it looks like a good si2, but I wouldn rather the extra 50 points and don’t mind minor inclusions.

Alex is known for good value stones.

Re the blurb by JbEG. Remember you are buying diamonds not feelings. If she had gushed over it would it change the stone? No. No it’s not the finest diamond in the world- the price reflects that. But either is the other stone. It’s up to you to decide what you value in a stone.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b
Would you be willing to recount your Parks Fine experience?
did you ask for more photos/questions - or was it a one-and-done quick purchase on your gorgeous EC?
I think that’s relevant here, and with some previous posters experiences.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b
Would you be willing to recount your Parks Fine experience?
did you ask for more photos/questions - or was it a one-and-done quick purchase on your gorgeous EC?
I think that’s relevant here, and with some previous posters experiences.

Good morning, @Rfisher :wavey:

I looked at the videos Alex had on Instagram a bunch of times. I looked at them from various angles and perspectives and tried to 'see' them differently. Tried to see what surprise might pop up in real life. In the end, I figured it scratched all the itches and bought it. I didn't ask for anything other than what he'd supplied, as there were quite a lot of videos for it on his site. And frankly, I think it's a miracle nobody leapt in ahead of me and bought it!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, but I like it. I have an N color antique cushion with the maltose cross, so maybe I'm biased lol. I've heard good things about this vendor (parksfinegroup)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not an expert...they both look pretty to me...I don't mind si2s and I don't see anything glaring in the pics. I'm attracted to the size of the JBG stone. The Parks diamond is a good price though. Not sure the extra mm are worth the extra money? Maybe they are. LOL I love size but I'm cheap too.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your replies.

@junebug17 I used Diamb and the JbG diamond is about 20% bigger which is roughly the difference in price so they seem quite evenly pitched to me if that makes sense. And yes the size!

@doberman going to look for a thread on your cushion now!

@mrs-b have you got your emerald cut yet? Have I somehow missed pics?

@Rfisher thanks for the video tip lots better on the smug site

@Lovesparklesparle yes I hear you and agree - I realise it’s not a 10 carat D IF AVC (wow how amazing would that be!) but what I’m wondering on is the actual performance because I felt she said less than in some other listings.

@dreamer_dachsie thanks for your thoughts I’m not so sure about the Parks Fine although the says a very good SI2 but the JbG one does specifically mention eye clean though it’s subjective of course and I have got keen little eyes though I’m not sure I’m actually bothered unless it’s a big black carbon spot

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Personally not a fan of the twinning wisps on the JbG stone; that might be the fuzziness (the left side on the photos) you are seeing in the photos/videos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results