shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

snlee

Ideal_Rock
SHARING THE NEWS - with my first pregnancy, we told our parents, siblings, close family, and close friends early, around 5-8 weeks. I waited until after the first trimester, 13 weeks, to tell my boss, co-workers, and everyone else. This time around, we planned to wait until we saw the HB on the u/s to tell anyone. We ended up keeping it a secret for only a week. After having a surprise u/s and seeing the gestational sac and fetal pole at 5 weeks, we told my parents and brother. I see my parents almost every day so it would have been really hard to hide since I''ve been feeling so sick and tired lately. Now that we''ve seen the HB we''ll tell my in laws and close family. We let our son spill the beans by wearing a BIG BROTHER shirt.
1.gif
I''ll wait till about 13 weeks, after the NT scan, to tell everyone else.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 12:40:48 PM
Author: snlee
SHARING THE NEWS - with my first pregnancy, we told our parents, siblings, close family, and close friends early, around 5-8 weeks. I waited until after the first trimester, 13 weeks, to tell my boss, co-workers, and everyone else. This time around, we planned to wait until we saw the HB on the u/s to tell anyone. We ended up keeping it a secret for only a week. After having a surprise u/s and seeing the gestational sac and fetal pole at 5 weeks, we told my parents and brother. I see my parents almost every day so it would have been really hard to hide since I''ve been feeling so sick and tired lately. Now that we''ve seen the HB we''ll tell my in laws and close family. We let our son spill the beans by wearing a BIG BROTHER shirt.
1.gif

I love the big brother shirt idea! I am so doing that for our next baby
9.gif

I sort of did the opposite when I told people - where I work is connected to the place I went for my bloodwork, so everybody at work knew before my family knew, which was weird. But thankfully no one at work knows my family!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I had to race all over 3 floors of our house this morning frantically searching for my set of keys that DH had borrowed last night to go out and shovel snow with. He had earplugs in, so didn''t wake when I went in to ask him, and finally woke up the second time I came frantically into the bedroom.
Then I get outdoors, only to find that the garden gate latch was frozen shut. I had to climb over the crotch-high fence at 38.5 weeks pregnant. And it was only crotch-height from inside our garden - the sidewalk was lower, so I couldn''t put my foot down onto it. Ouch! A man was walking by, so I said something to him about how I shouldn''t have to do this at 9 months pregnant, and he at least stayed there for a minute to be sure I didn''t fall over while climbing across. I think we need some antifreeze to use on it!

Lulu - I''m glad to see someone else pick the same stroller we did. Haven''t gotten it unpacked yet because of the construction and mess at our house, but the bassinet was cute when I peeked at it. I''m excited to finally get to use it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lulu... i didn''t research too much on bottles because we already are using avent bottles and storage bottles too since we were giving him formula at first and someone gave us a gift pack and the kid likes them and we like them so we just stuck with them. i think you ARE compatible bottles, i read something about that online. but it hasn''t been an issue with pumping then pouring to store, i wouldn''t pump into a bottle anyway, i''d pump into the storage containers we have...so i haven''t looked into the compatbility at all yet. maybe try googling? i almost want to say avent is compatible, maybe i will try screwing a bottle onto the flange just to see! i havent even tried.
5.gif

drk and kim can''t wait to hear the updates soon...and see some more baby pics!!! yay!

congrats coral!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies, I have a question. Our gender scan is about 3 weeks away...yay! I have a dilemma. This is the first grandchild for my ILs and seventh for my parents. We would like to ask MIL if she wants to come to our scan. She''s so excited about this baby and is REALLY careful to give us our space and we just want to do something nice for her. My worry is that my mom''s feelings will be hurt. I don''t want to invite them both because, quite frankly, my mom will ruin it for MIL. My mom is extremely *boisterous* to put it kindly and MIL always fades into the background in family situations in which they''re both involved (I mean this in a literal sense - my mom has been known to stand in front of MIL at birthday parties, etc.) My mom was involved every step of the way in my first pregancy and got to enjoy all of these things then.

I love my mom and don''t want to hurt her feelings but, at the same time, I don''t think inviting both of them is an option for us. There''s no real event where I can "make it up to her" because we don''t want anyone at the birth and there are no other milestones between the 20 week scan and this kid coming out!

Any ideas? thoughts?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Does your mom have to know that your MIL even came with you? If not, then I would just invite her - I''m sure she is about to burst with excitement over her first grandbaby!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Lulu and Drk- We went with the Uppababy as well! I can't wait to get it! You know you can also buy a step that attaches, so technically the stroller fits 3 whole children!

Drk- I'm so sorry to hear about your... umm, *ordeal* this morning. Yuck! At least the nice man waited to make sure you didn't hurt yourself!

RE: Telling people.
My boss was the first to know. I had to call in sick to work 2 days in a row so that I could find out how far along we were.
We told DH's parents and siblings at 5 weeks (MIL told all of the grandparents a few days later
29.gif
, eventhough it was specifically said that we wanted to share the news...). We told my parents, grandparents and family at 7 weeks, which was in person. We told friends at 9 weeks.

Pupp- We didn't invite IL's to any scans that both sets of grandparents couldn't attend. Just like you, this is the 1st for IL's and the 7th for my parents... but there is still the same amount of excitement from my mom and dad. We didn't want to make my parents feel left out.
With that said, this is our first. I'm not sure how or if my opinions will change for any more that we will hopefully. I wish I had a better option for you.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Puppmom, what about a 3D scan at 30-some weeks that some of the ladies have done? Obviously involves cashola, and you'd still need to come up with a non-hurtful way of saying why MIL goes to this scan and not your mom. But a reasonable mom might be receptive to the idea that you want a limited # of people at each scan not a fiesta, so if your mom is a reasonable person and you already setup a 3D scan and ask her to attend that one maybe that would fly w/out hurting feelings?

Coral, the when to tell is totally personal! I'm going conservative as I had a prior loss, and I'm the kind of person that's really glad I didn't have to deal with friends and non-husband family during that difficult time. Some women might *want* the support of their parents or friends, so those people should probably tell earlier! Or they find not-telling too difficult. Now that I'm almost 10 weeks I am starting to trust it a little more, but we'll probably wait until after 1st tri/ nuchal ultrasound to tell most people.

Mara, your pic of little julian on the mommy thread is adorable.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want the Uppababy now!
3.gif

Mere and MP, I guess I''m just a little stressed about the wrath of my mom.
2.gif
She can be a tough cookie. Don''t get me wrong - she is just as excited about this grandchild as she was about the first. Her excitement just often turns into pure craziness. I thought about just not telling her but we have a teenage DD that might spill the beans. My mom is generally not that involved in planning, etc. For example, I planned the wedding with MIL even down the dress shopping. My mom''s feelings weren''t hurt about that (she wears her feelings on her sleeve so I''m pretty sure I would know if she was hurt) so maybe this will be the same.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea, Cara. I''ll run it by DH. She might like that. The other *issue* with my mom is that she requires transportation. MIL will get herself to and from but my mom, who lives 30-40 minutes away, needs us to pick her up and take her home. She lives in a major city so maybe we could do a 3d near her.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Pupp, that is so considerate of you. I''m sure your MIL wiould be thrilled to be there w/o being overshadowed by your own mom. Do you work? Is there any way to use the fact that your mom would need transportation and providing it simply isn''t possible as a reason?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberly, you make a good point. My appointment will be between 10-3 and not near public transport and I will either be leaving work early or going late.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly makes an excellent point. I think using that is best.

Congrats Coral!!! We told our parents right away, but waited to tell friends.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Puppmom - I''d probably end up saying that DH really wants his Mom to be there because it''s her very first grandchild, and that they only let two other people come along. I''d be too worried that my mother would suddenly find she has access to her own transportation if that were the excuse for bringing only MIL along.

When I had my T2 scan, I happened to be alone (DH was out of town, and it was done a week earlier than expected). But the signs around the office said that the scan would be done with Mum alone, and then at the end, DH or other close relatives would be let in for a quick peek. I didn''t feel so bad that he missed it after reading that.

So Excited

Shiny_Rock
1.gif
The shirt idea is just so cute.... we actually told everyone about the news with our Christmas cards. They had our 2yr old daughter on the front (just a big picture of her) Wearing a "I have a Secret" shirt
and then the inside had a full page pic of her wearing a "I''m gonna be a BIG SISTER" shirt. We had brief text of Merry Christmas from .. .. ... and Baby and then the back cover was a pic from our 13 wk US that said "See you in 6 months - Love, Baby" under it.

Everyone loved the card and this is actually how we told EVERYONE... (My sister was actually at our parents house when my dad opened the card and was reading it out loud.. I guess it was pretty entertaining to listen to/watch)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 8:14:39 PM
Author: So Excited

1.gif
The shirt idea is just so cute.... we actually told everyone about the news with our Christmas cards. They had our 2yr old daughter on the front (just a big picture of her) Wearing a ''I have a Secret'' shirt
and then the inside had a full page pic of her wearing a ''I''m gonna be a BIG SISTER'' shirt. We had brief text of Merry Christmas from .. .. ... and Baby and then the back cover was a pic from our 13 wk US that said ''See you in 6 months - Love, Baby'' under it.

Everyone loved the card and this is actually how we told EVERYONE... (My sister was actually at our parents house when my dad opened the card and was reading it out loud.. I guess it was pretty entertaining to listen to/watch)
That is sooooo cute!!!!

FYI ::::::

This thread has hit over 1 million views!!!! The second to do so in PS history!!! SMTR was the first.

I love the connections you all have made with each other.
1.gif
Nan and I always say, gosh, if we had had this back then....

I never knew it would be this big when I started it. I am just loving the traditions you guys started, Belly Pic Fridays.. Love seeing the nurseries, and love it when you graduate to the newborn thread. BUT love when you''ve graduated you still come back to help the preggos.

THAT is what PS is about... Paying it forward.. You all help the soon to be mommies sooooo much.
36.gif

I always love Fridays. And love keeping track of all you lovely ladies.
35.gif

CHEERS. Long may it continue, we are on a big PS baby boom!!!
12.gif

xxoo

Lisa

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hello preggos! Long time no "talk", but I do try to read here and there.

Work has kept me insanely busy. I think they're trying to squeeze everything out of me before i go on leave in June. I'm trying to take it all in stride and not stress much, but I'm getting tired of these draining 9-hour workdays.

My update- today was a marathon appointment day. First met with my Peri for the 23-week echo ultrasound. All looks good with the heart- from the 4 chambers to the in/out blood flow as well as other vitals. It was kinda funny that the doc was having a hard time getting good shots as bebe was very wiggly. Hearing this was like music to my ears! I have yet to feel "real" movement- no kicks, jabs, pokes. I **think** i feel something when i'm lying in bed at night, but it's so faint. I knew I had an anterior placenta and that this could be the cause, but seeing a rockin' and rollin' LO on screen made me smile! We also got some initial 3D/4D shots to prep for when we do the real one at 30 weeks.

I then visited with my OB and it was rather uneventful after the Peri visit. My OB said that I was a boring patient and to keep it up. She did giv eme some homework before my next appt in 4 weeks. I have to get all signed up for classes, so DH and I are planning those out. We kinow we're taking the "Intuition" childbirth class as DH's gym at work (it's part of a big corporate campus w/ lots of resources). this class is 1/2 the price of the hospital one, and comes highly recommended. We'll also take the infant CPR class there. Then at the hospital we'll take the tour, and BF class. We're on the fence about the "amazing newborn" and "baby care" classes. And on the "anesthesia/c-section" one as I really want to have a vag-birth.

So I took off lots of time during the holidays- was VERY lazy. I've recently begun to go back to the gym and get active again. Lots has to do with the fact that I'm doing a 5K on Sunday. I've been training (OK, walking/slow jogging) on the treadmill to get ready. I don't have a set time goal- just want to finish! We'll see how that goes. Both my Peri and OB gave me a "thumbs up" but "take it easy".

Lots has been going on with everyone- i haven't been able to catch up, but just wanted to say...

Ginger- CONGRATS and welcome to your little one! He's just precious!
Kimberly- I'm glad that you've been able to hang in and make it this far. I'll be thinking of you over the next couple of days
DrK- you're super-close too! can't wait to hear more
Coral- WELCOME! I'm in the conservative camp- we didn't tell most folks until I was around 12-13 weeks along. VERY glad we waited!
Mara- just a quick THANKS for the recommendation on the PY pump when I last posted. glad to hear it's working out great for you- and nice to still "see" you around here- it's great to get a "new momma" POV.
Pupp- I hope you're able to figure things out with both Moms!
Cara- here's to more good days!
Lulu- yahoo on the stroller. I am sooo behind, only have a pack n' play hand-me-down from a friend- need to get cracking on the registry & big items.

Hiya to everyone- thinking of y'all!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:17:42 PM
Author: Kaleigh
That is sooooo cute!!!!

This thread has hit over 1 million views!!!! The second to do so in PS history!!! SMTR was the first.
1.gif
I never knew it would be this big when I started it. I am just loving the traditions you guys started, Belly Pic Fridays.. Love seeing the nurseries, and love it when you graduate to the newborn thread. BUT love when you''ve graduated you still come back to help the preggos.
THAT is what PS is about... Paying it forward.. You all help the soon to be mommies sooooo much.
36.gif

35.gif

12.gif

xxoo

Lisa
A HUGE cheers to you for starting this thread. THANK YOU, hun!

snlee

Ideal_Rock

1.gif

36.gif

35.gif

12.gif

xxoo

Lisa

That''s awesome! This has always been one of my favorite threads! A big thank you to you Lisa for starting this thread!
36.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Hi, everyone:

Kt hasn''t had time to get back in with pics of Jake, but she gave the OK for me to share some pictures I took of him when I visited last week. Mama and Jake are doing really well and he''s already stolen her heart!

JakeRyan1.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
He''s such a little cutie!

JakeRyan2.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Last one for now.

JakeRyan3.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

1.gif

36.gif

35.gif

12.gif

xxoo

Lisa

Lisa,

We wouldn''t have such a great thread if it weren''t for you. So many, many thanks.

This thread and PS in general have been wonderful
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 8:15:34 AM
Author: lovelylulu

1.gif

36.gif

35.gif

12.gif

xxoo

Lisa

Lisa,

We wouldn''t have such a great thread if it weren''t for you. So many, many thanks.

This thread and PS in general have been wonderful
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Ditto
36.gif
36.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Alj,

Jake is g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s.

those eyes.

those eyes.

thanks for sharing and you are a talent with a camera!

mere and drk - what colors did you choose for the stroller - we were leaning towards black, but then went all crazy and chose orange. loved it in the store, but waiting for it to ship. apparently, it''s backordered so I won''t be receiving it until sometime in March, but this kiddo has time to spare.

charger - forget about registries, your going to be doing a 5k. huge kudos lady. huge
36.gif

snlee - i love the big brother t-shirt announcement. nothing cuter.

DH and I scored a lovely rocker from craigslist last night. I was originally drawn to this more modern rocker that had fantastic style, but after trying it out it I found that it wasn''t sink-in-and-stay-a-while-in-the-middle-of-the-night comfortable. So, with some very helpful advice and a recommendation from Lindsey, I scouted a pottery barn chair, the discountinued lullaby model. It''s in pristine condition and heavenly to sit in. plus, another solid bargain.

supposed to snow AGAIN here. bah. spring, where are you? but, I guess that makes the fact that it''s only EIGHT days to a warm and wonderful babymoon that much sweeter.
31.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 8:26:21 AM
Author: lovelylulu
Alj,

Jake is g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s.

those eyes.

those eyes.

thanks for sharing and you are a talent with a camera!

mere and drk - what colors did you choose for the stroller - we were leaning towards black, but then went all crazy and chose orange. loved it in the store, but waiting for it to ship. apparently, it's backordered so I won't be receiving it until sometime in March, but this kiddo has time to spare.

DH and I scored a lovely rocker from craigslist last night. I was originally drawn to this more modern rocker that had fantastic style, but after trying it out it I found that it wasn't sink-in-and-stay-a-while-in-the-middle-of-the-night comfortable. So, with some very helpful advice and a recommendation from Lindsey, I scouted a pottery barn chair, the discountinued lullaby model. It's in pristine condition and heavenly to sit in. plus, another solid bargain.

supposed to snow AGAIN here. bah. spring, where are you? but, I guess that makes the fact that it's only EIGHT days to a warm and wonderful babymoon that much sweeter.
31.gif
We went with the Red. I was leaning towards the Black as well, as I do with everything (like a stroller can be slimming
2.gif
), but everyone convinced me to add some color! I think the Orange will look GREAT!

Jake is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing the pics Alj!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, those eyes! He is so alert, he doesn''t even look newborn. What a gorgeous little guy!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
ditto on those EYES!! Jake is just beautiful!! Thanks, alj, for sharing your pics!

I''m almost 20 weeks. My uterus is well above my belly button. I feel the baby ALL the time and yesterday with my hand on my belly I actually caught movement from the outside! DH''s hands are too callused to feel it yet, but I think he''ll be able to feel it within the next couple weeks too.

Since I started taking my vitamins every other day, I haven''t thrown up!

Kimi~ GOOD LUCK!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Lisa, thank you for starting this thread!

One more day and it''s off to the hopsital. Dinner last night was nice, the couple is having a baby too, she''s due April 1. They are so excited about my being induced tomorrow, really funny. I need to wrap up some last minute stuff today, get the house picked up a bit, deliver some thank you notes. J needs to get the carseat installed. Fun stuff.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 10:33:33 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Lisa, thank you for starting this thread!

One more day and it''s off to the hopsital. Dinner last night was nice, the couple is having a baby too, she''s due April 1. They are so excited about my being induced tomorrow, really funny. I need to wrap up some last minute stuff today, get the house picked up a bit, deliver some thank you notes. J needs to get the carseat installed. Fun stuff.
Ditto! This thread has been incredible for me and many many soon-to-be mother''s before!

Kimberly- Glad to hear you had a good time at dinner last night! Can''t believe you are so close! Tell J to get on that carseat!
2.gif

Question: Has anyone done the hospital tour with more people than just your DH? We are thinking of inviting my mom and MIL so that they have an idea of where things are as well. Is this frowned upon?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results