Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
loving the belly pics ladies!!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 1:47:13 PM
Author: EBree
mela, you look fantastic! You carry so beautifully.

Date: 5/22/2009 1:29:03 PM

Author: ChinaCat

Robbie- I would love to know the answer to your questions as well.

Me three! I hadn''t even thought about forceps/vacuum assistance until this last week''s birthing class when we discussed possible risks. One woman in my class said she''d much rather have a cesarean because she''s heard horror stories about brain/nerve damage (and more commonly, more severe vaginal tearing), but I don''t know how likely either of the two more severe risks are. I found a thread in one of my other pregnant communities discussing either or, but most of the women said something to the effect of, ''I''d rather switch positions- if you aren''t having an epidural, get off your back and into a more birthing-friendly position like a squat.''

See, I''ve heard horror stories as well. From the searches I''ve done today, it seems like vacuum is safer than forceps, but the risks of each (including c-section) increase when multiple methods are used for the same delivery. So, if you''re going to end up with the risks of a vacuum, forceps AND a c-section if that ends up being the only way they can get baby out, it seems like maybe it''s just better to go with a c-section from the start?

I agree that in a non emergency situation changing positions would be ideal (though I plan to try different positions to push in from the get go to find what will work best for me), I think the Dr. was talking about something where baby would need to come out faster than that.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 1:52:06 PM
Author: robbie3982

See, I've heard horror stories as well. From the searches I've done today, it seems like vacuum is safer than forceps, but the risks of each (including c-section) increase when multiple methods are used for the same delivery. So, if you're going to end up with the risks of a vacuum, forceps AND a c-section if that ends up being the only way they can get baby out, it seems like maybe it's just better to go with a c-section from the start?

I'd think so, but I'm still learning too!

Study Finds Surprising Data on Safe Births (Almost 10 years old, but I'm not having much luck finding other info.)

For the baby, the safest possible ways to be born were by a normal, spontaneous vaginal delivery, or a Caesarean section performed before the mother went into labor. That kind of elective Caesarean is most often done when the mother has had a Caesarean in the past and has chosen or been advised to repeat the procedure for subsequent births.

For normal births, Dr. Towner and her colleagues found that the risk of brain hemorrhage was 1 in 1,900, and for Caesarean without labor it was 1 in 2,750. But the difference in the rates was not statistically significant, and so the researchers considered the risks to be equal.

The next safest method was forceps alone, vacuum alone or Caesarean during labor, which were associated with an approximate doubling of the risk of brain hemorrhage.

The highest risk of brain hemorrhage, about 1 in 300, occurred when doctors used both forceps and vacuums, or when those methods failed and were followed by a Caesarean.

Dr. Thomas J. Benedetti, director of perinatal medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle, said: ''The most interesting part of the paper is that there's even a further level of risk when you tried to deliver the baby with forceps or vacuum and failed, or failed with one and went to the other. The more times you tried, that seemed to increase the injury even more.''

The increasing risk with failed attempts means that doctors should not try forceps or vacuum unless there is a reasonable chance of success, Dr. Benedetti said. And if one fails, they should not try the other, but should go straight to a Caesarean, he said.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 1:22:51 PM
Ok ladies (Dreamer, are you lurking?) I need to be pointed in the direction of some good articles on scientific studies on the risks of vacuum, forceps and c-section. We had in our birth plan that we don''t want to use vacuum or forceps and our Dr. told us to think about what we''d want if something happened and baby needed to come out ASAP. Would we prefer assistance from vacuum or forceps or would we rather go with a c-section? She said while it''s very unlikely that we''d be in the situation needing to make the decision, if we were, we would need to know our answer as there wouldn''t be time to discuss what we wanted to do. I understand what the risks are, just not how likely they are I guess which is making it difficult to come to a decision.
Robbie - when I delivered my son last year the doc had to use a vacuum to help him out. I''m a tiny gal, and even though the little guy was born early he was still big for his gestational age. I had a 4th degree episiotomy as well (ouch!). My son is fine from the vacuum, but he does have a tiny mark on his head where it was applied. When he (finally) starts getting some hair it will not be noticeable at all. If the doc had not used the vacuum there is a good chance that I would have ended up in the OR having an emergency c-section. DH and I decided against the forceps because it is a "blind" procedure.

I should also note that I had an epi so I was not able to change positions much once I started pushing since I couldn''t really feel anything below my bellybutton.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 2:05:28 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 5/22/2009 1:52:06 PM

See, I''ve heard horror stories as well. From the searches I''ve done today, it seems like vacuum is safer than forceps, but the risks of each (including c-section) increase when multiple methods are used for the same delivery. So, if you''re going to end up with the risks of a vacuum, forceps AND a c-section if that ends up being the only way they can get baby out, it seems like maybe it''s just better to go with a c-section from the start?

The increasing risk with failed attempts means that doctors should not try forceps or vacuum unless there is a reasonable chance of success, Dr. Benedetti said. And if one fails, they should not try the other, but should go straight to a Caesarean, he said.
This is what my doc did. My son was practically born, but just needed a little bit of help so the doc quickly asked DH and I what we wanted to do and we all agreed on the vacuum. He applied the vacuum one time to my son''s head and he was born without any other interventions.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Ebree, that''s very similar to what I found earlier. This makes it sound like risks to the baby are pretty much equal for all 3. If that''s the case, I guess I''d just have to ask my Dr. how certain she was that she could get baby out with the vacuum and then decide based on that if we''d go with the vacuum or straight for a c-section. I guess we should have a number picked out already that we won''t go below (70% sure?) so that it''s just a matter of fitting the situation into an already made decision.

Thanks for the info Diva! I''m not worried at all about a little mark, just about the much scarier possible complications.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Stop freaking me out girls! hahahaha. All this scary L&D stuff!
3.gif
I kid I kid.

Amber - I like Ferris!!! A lot in fact. For the record, I love alliteration. My parents were really really sad that we didn''t consider any "G" names, because that would make our child G.G. (Gigi) and a cute little knickname. As you all know, we''re considering Luna Lavender as a girls name - which is heavy alliteration and I LOVE It!
9.gif

Just got back from an hour hike in the park and a big ol orange and mango smoothie. Yuuuuuumers. Okay baby - let''s get movin''!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Mela you look fabulous
face23.gif

Robbie I don''t know the answer to your question. I think for me personally I would rather have a c-section.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Great belly pics!

Mela, I hope I look like you when I reach 40 weeks.... you look very toned!

Here's my first contribution to belly pic Fridays - just a profile shot taken at 10 weeks 6 days. (Sorry about the armpit hair!)

bellypic076.jpg

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
**Delurking** to say Yay for Sha and her belly pic!!
2.gif

I''ve been waiting for you to post one...you look great!
1.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Congrats to all the PS soon to be mommies!!!

Courtneylub- I dont know if you will see this but I actually came over here to see if you had your baby yet (I remember you conceived right around your wedding) and I see you had a gorgeous little girl last month! A big congratulations to you sweetie! She''s absolutely adorable.
4.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 3:13:39 PM
Author: InLuv101
**Delurking** to say Yay for Sha and her belly pic!!
2.gif

I''ve been waiting for you to post one...you look great!
1.gif

Awwww...thanks, InLuv!
1.gif
1.gif

Sapphire_Cutie

Brilliant_Rock
Amber: I really like the name Ferris. I had it on MY boy list..but DH vetoed it!
emsad.gif

Pandora: CONGRATS on lil Daisey? Daisy? Cant wait to 'meet' her

Hope everyone else is feeling good...I have another U/S on the 29th and I am VERY excited, cuz it will be DH's 1st time being able to go...and it MAY be my last U/S. This Sunday my MIL invited my family over for a dinner bbq. Then she is throwing me a baby/wedding shower on the 30th THEN i have my moms baby shower on June 6th lol...so its gunna be busy. Ive been feelin pretty good. The pregnancy has been fairly easy on me (knock on wood) lol. We had our boy names narrowed down to 3 choices, all of which I liked (Logan, Liam and Connor). So I left it up to DH to decide. He finally ended up picking Logan. So our sons name will be Logan Jack. Im UBBER excited! Anyway...heres my Belly Shot. 24wks and 4d taken today. Ive only gained 8lbs since I found out I was PG @6wks. Is that fairly normal for how far along I am?

24wks4d.jpg

fabienne

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 5:38:20 PM
Author: Sapphire_Cutie
Amber: I really like the name Ferris. I had it on MY boy list..but DH vetoed it!
emsad.gif

Pandora: CONGRATS on lil Daisey? Daisy? Cant wait to 'meet' her

Hope everyone else is feeling good...I have another U/S on the 29th and I am VERY excited, cuz it will be DH's 1st time being able to go...and it MAY be my last U/S. This Sunday my MIL invited my family over for a dinner bbq. Then she is throwing me a baby/wedding shower on the 30th THEN i have my moms baby shower on June 6th lol...so its gunna be busy. Ive been feelin pretty good. The pregnancy has been fairly easy on me (knock on wood) lol. We had our boy names narrowed down to 3 choices, all of which I liked (Logan, Liam and Connor). So I left it up to DH to decide. He finally ended up picking Logan. So our sons name will be Logan Jack. Im UBBER excited! Anyway...heres my Belly Shot. 24wks and 4d taken today. Ive only gained 8lbs since I found out I was PG @6wks. Is that fairly normal for how far along I am?
Hi Sapphire_Cutie!
35.gif

My son's name will also be Logan. DH and DS picked it out. I've been too lazy to look in the baby book to see if there is anything out there that I would like more than Logan, so Logan it is. Since you made your first belly pic today, maybe I will too, even though I only have a week or so left. I didn't even know about belly Fridays. This thread is so intense.
34.gif

Happy Due Date Day Mela!

Edited to add: Today was my last day of work and I can't find my camera. I may have left it at work. Maybe I can upload a picture from last Saturday.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Maternity pics are up!!!

Photographer sent me this link:
http://danascheller.smugmug.com/gallery/8297995_PZL6V/1/543400927_NtCmh

Password: littlegamer

There are some that I absolutely love and some that I think show how much weight I''ve really gained in my face that I love less, lol.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Um, HELLO GORGEOUS! Great pics Robbie! Love them...especially, #43 #46 and #104.

SO NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mela
40 weeks 1 day
24.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Robbie - you are so pretty!
30.gif
the preggo belly and can''t wait to meet your little one.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Robbie the photos are beautiful! I especially love the silhouettes (sp?). Beautiful, beautiful!
face23.gif

I spent the morning at L&D. I hadn''t felt her move since about 11pm last night and was really worried so I went in this morning. It took about 30 more minutes to finally wake her up. Poor girl was just sleeping. Her heartrate was between 155 and 170. I have a slight fever but I''m also getting a cold so its unrelated. Just relieved everything is ok.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
robbie you are SUCH a CUTE preggo!!! you look great. beautiful pictures!!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Robbie
You are absolutely adorable. Beautiful pics.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the opinions on Ferris, it''s definitely on our list now!

Robbie you look fantastic!

Fiery: wow! What an experience for you! I''m glad it all turned out okay, and I hope you feel better soon!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Fiery - PHEW! Better to check
2.gif
. Glad everything is ok! Lazy little muffin
25.gif

sweet pea

Rough_Rock
Robbie love those maternity pics! Thanks for posting for us to see :)

Hi guys
35.gif
We were so busy yesterday, sheesh! I got home and vegged out on Jon & Kate, and cannot stop! I ran errands this morning, and when I got back home it was STILL on. Must. Turn. Off. TV!
Now... for those of you wondering who this sweet pea chick really is (or used to be
31.gif
) here it is
wait for it
Ok, ok... I used to post as Happy in Love
36.gif

I''m going to let "HIL" stay in the past (never liked the screen name anyways
38.gif
) So sweet pea is here to stay!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 2:44:39 PM
Author: sweet pea
Robbie love those maternity pics! Thanks for posting for us to see :)

Hi guys
35.gif
We were so busy yesterday, sheesh! I got home and vegged out on Jon & Kate, and cannot stop! I ran errands this morning, and when I got back home it was STILL on. Must. Turn. Off. TV!

Now... for those of you wondering who this sweet pea chick really is (or used to be
31.gif
) here it is

wait for it

36.gif

I'm going to let 'HIL' stay in the past (never liked the screen name anyways
38.gif

Ohhh I KNEW it! Welcome back.
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 3:07:11 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 5/23/2009 2:44:39 PM

Author: sweet pea

I''m going to let ''HIL'' stay in the past (never liked the screen name anyways
38.gif

Ohhh I KNEW it! Welcome back.
1.gif

I thought so too
9.gif
9.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Sweet Pea, I knew it!!! Woohooo!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Robbie----omgggg gorge!!! u guys are such a cute couple!!!

Fiery- glad to hear everything is ok!!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Robbie--took a quick peek at the pics--SO pretty. You look so happy and that blue top just pops with your belly in the pics!

Chinacat--i don''t think there is anyway to predict the trends, so you don''t have to ''unlike'' anything
2.gif
I remember when my girlfriend named her son Oliver and we all thought it was really "out there" and now it more common and we all like it
3.gif
I like my son''s name for a variety of personal reasons but we didn''t know about the religious connection (it is a sacred name for jews) and it does bother me that it is possible some could find it disrespectful as a first name. We didn''t look into names that closely, but now i am going to be very careful
40.gif
. If we have another boy, as of now, he will be Emmett. Again, probably going to get popular b/c of the damn Twilight series. It was on my list for years and i always thought it was too ''oldish'' but now is back in style.

Mela--you make me laugh--nope, don''t think u are crazytown
9.gif
Whatever gets you thru--DO IT. Honestly, i am looking fwd to my next birth. It was not exactly fun, but when i think about surviving that day, what prize i got at the end and the sense of purpose i felt during and after made it something i am happy i experienced and *want* to go thru again (of course, if you''d have asked me right after-hell no was i going thru that again
5.gif
).
oh and BTW i mentioned to my DH (yes, i talk about PSers like they are my real friends) and he LUVS LUVS the name Luna Lavender. Esp. Luna. He asked if we could have it on our girl list
41.gif
--Lucia ( loo see ah) is our top girl name right now so we like the "lu" sound apparently.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock

Robbie!!!

Ahh... I'd been waiting for these pictures! I remember way back you said you were going to have them, and I was so excited! I love the ones where you and hubby are back to back with the geometrical wall behind you. I like them all... but those are my favorites.

Oh, and hubby making a heart out of his hands on your tummy... precious.

112... those eyelashes!!

I just adore all of them!! You look awesome, mommy!
2.gif

ETA: I knew SweetPea was HIL. Yay!! So happy for you, girlie!!!!
9.gif

fabienne

Rough_Rock
Fiery.....glad to hear that everything is okay! Sorry you had to go through that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results