shape
carat
color
clarity

calling all experts and anyone else

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
How many of you think that you could consistently pick an AGS Ideal (GIA Excellent) cut diamond from a ''very good'' cut diamond from "eye clean" (12 inches away) if everything else was equal i.e., size color etc.,?

The same question but ''Good" cut.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Edited my post, didn't understand the question at first.

I do think I could choose an AGS 000 from a 'very good' cut. I think the term 'very good' is misleading. Same with 'good cut.' It seems that many people new to diamonds assume very good is the desirable grade. Good as in the opposite of bad cut I guess. With only a good cut, no question there would be a visible difference.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
Let''s say the diamonds were VS1

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
I thought ''very good'' and ''good'' were the terms AGS and GIA used to describe their less than Ideal (excellent) cut diamonds??

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
When I read ''eye clean'' I thought we were talking about clarity. Your question does make sense.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 3:11:35 PM
Author:ceylonfan
How many of you think that you could consistently pick an AGS Ideal (GIA Excellent) cut diamond from a ''very good'' cut diamond from ''eye clean'' (12 inches away) if everything else was equal i.e., size color etc.,?

The same question but ''Good'' cut.
grouping ags ideal and gia excellent together as one and trying to separate them from gia ''very good'' and ''good'' is not a prudent way of going about distinguishing differences. there are far too many inconsistent combinations under the umbrella of the gia ''cut'' grading to be able to make such definite conclusions.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
Lets take GIA out of my hypo. AGS000(Ideal) from AGS1 (excellent) and then AGS2(very good)...does that work?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 3:31:59 PM
Author: ceylonfan
Lets take GIA out of my hypo. AGS000(Ideal) from AGS1 (excellent) and then AGS2(very good)...does that work?
no, because you can get an ags1 or 2 for not getting 'ideal' in polish or symmetry, which do not effect light performance.

you are trying to make this too literal (and i understand the need) but you really just need to pay attention to the angles in relationship to the rest of the diamond and take each for what it is.

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
You are probably right...there are just too many variables to account for when trying to compare cuts and dicernable differences.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results