shape
carat
color
clarity

Cake in the face, yea or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m definitely in the nay group. I hate, really hate seeing the cake smashed in the face.
How about the rest of you?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
HUGE nay.
38.gif
FI would be in BIG BIG trouble!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
What?

Why would you do that?
33.gif

I''ve never seen anything like that here. I thought people grew out of that kind of behaviour when they left university?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nay, nay, nay.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
NAY

LegalGal

Rough_Rock
Another NAY!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find it incredibly poor taste. I always wonder what the groom (or bride) is thinking when they smash. . .

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 8:38:40 PM
Author: Pandora II
What?

Why would you do that?
33.gif

I''ve never seen anything like that here. I thought people grew out of that kind of behaviour when they left university?
We wish. I think about 80% of the weddings I''ve attended had the groom smushing the bride, her smushing him, and both of them acting like it was fun.

Beats me why so many Americans do that. I''d be thinking "WTF you idiot, this is a white SILK dress"
29.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
My FI seriously laughs everytime I bring this up, I think he might try it, but I WILL KILL HIM
29.gif
(I''m not joking)

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Just tell him you have a stun gun strapped to your garter, and you''re not afraid to use it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
The moment is kind of awkward, too, because everybody is waiting for you to smash cake in each other''s faces and you''re just looking at each other thinking "I don''t want to smash cake in your face".

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
NAY!! I think that is just the worst.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
NAY! I agree. . . it''s a terrible practice and I don''t understand it in the least!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nay all the way...

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh NO. I don't know what the symbolism behind that tradition is, so I'm going to look it up.

ETA: I found this little snippet: Smashing wedding cake into your new spouse's face is totally disrespectful when you realize where the tradition originated. It is said that the cake tradition is supposed to represent that throughout your marriage, you will "feed" each other and take care of each other.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock

Nay, nay and NAY!!

And I need to remind my dd to tell her FI that, because if he does, I will personally kill him!

Her father did that to me at my wedding and I had blue frosting up my nose that I had to go bathroom to try to dig out...ewwwwwwwww. I haven''t seen anyone do this in a long time though.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
Nay.
My photographer told me about a study he read that said that divorce rates were higher in people that smashed the cake in their spouses faces.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:30:20 PM
Author: tiffanytwisted
Nay.
My photographer told me about a study he read that said that divorce rates were higher in people that smashed the cake in their spouses faces.

PAGING FREKE!!!

What are the stats on this? Inquiring minds wanna know!
11.gif

LS

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
NAY, NAY, NAY!! Geez, I remember at my daughters wedding 15 years ago, their friends were yelling "smash it, smash it, smash it" Thankfully, they didn''t. I wish you could have seen my "evil eye" I gave them. Tee hee. My daughter calls it "mom''s hairy eyeball"
9.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely not! I have not been to any weddings where the couple smashes the cake in each other''s faces. Weddings are such formal events (can be casual but the event is super important), but why would you EVER do that in any situation? Just imagine the pictures afterwards...the bride would have to rush to the bathroom with all of her BMs to put her wedding face on! I thought the only people who do that now are the ones you see on "America''s Funniest Home Videos."

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Nay.
Well validity of this study aside, I can believe it. I''d be filing the paperwork the very next day.
27.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, you probably lose a tooth with English wedding-cake.

Royal icing is like concrete. I kid you not, I was at the DIY store today buying sandpaper for my cake!
20.gif

everlong_x

Shiny_Rock
Definite NAY. NAY NAY NAY.

I told DH that if he did, I''d divorce him. Of course, I really wouldn''t, but I''m glad he understood that I spent hours getting prepared and dolled up, and I didn''t want that ruined by sticky icing.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:55:52 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Nay.
Well validity of this study aside, I can believe it. I''d be filing the paperwork the very next day.
27.gif
Ahahahaha, that was hysterical!!

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
def nay nay nay.. FF thinks its funny, and i told him no way in hell!!!!! grrr he better not!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, why nay?
33.gif

It's fun, frollicky and everyone enjoys a good laugh at the reception. I mean, it's a pretty popular thing to do and usually everyone's in good humor about it. Plus the photos are really cute after the fact.

Yeah, alright...I'm full of baloney. I'd have to say, I'd buy a ticket to the NAY camp.
1.gif

ETA, for our wedding, TGuy refused to cut the cake all the way down to the bottom, so we wouldn't have had a piece to even threaten to do this. The photographer kept asking us to cut the cake all the way down. Meanwhile, the entire Australian party was in the background screaming "No, we don't cut the cake to the bottom!!" I guess it's bad luck.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
NAY! I''ve never seen it done in real life, but I''ve seen it done on a lot of those Bridezilla shows and it always makes me cringe. How rude.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
For me personally, nay, but not vehemently. If it''s in jest and both the bride and groom are laughing I don''t see an issue, and there''s a difference between some frosting on the nose and a full on food fight.

We didn''t have a cake to cut at our wedding, so it wasn''t an option but DH would never even dream of shoving cake in my face and he would be extremely unhappy if I did so to him. I might put a speck on his nose, and he would have laughed, but I would never smash anything on, in or around DHs face.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, a speck on the nose is cute. Like the way Sabine and her DH did it. Then it''s cute.

It''s not cute when your dress and makeup is ruined and you are trying to blow blue frosting out of your nostrils.
38.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Sabine's speck is my hero at this moment.

I am FIRMLY in the Nay category, for sure, but I think a little dab can be playful and cute without being childish, disrespectful, and disgusting. I think a full-blown smash [which I have *definitely* seen done] is so gross and just a generally odd thing to do anyplace, nevermind at a wedding.

I also wonder at brides who pay money to get professional hair and makeup done and then mess it all up with cake smeared all over their faces. It seems wasteful to me. Or something.

Plus, I hate getting dirty. I would really flip my top if FI tried this, but luckily she hates it even more than I do! We both actually think the feeding each other to symbolize taking care of each other, etc [as Ally pointed out] is sort of silly for ourselves [no opinion on what others do, though]. We plan to be self-sufficient, marriage or not, and although we will obviously be there for each other, we are pretty sure that being fork-fed isn't the right symbolism for us!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results