shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD help 3 stone OMC ring

bee24

Rough_Rock
Hello!
Attached are photos I received for 3 stone ring. Center stone is 2.76 omc and side stones are 1.2 ctw omcs.

I see a few issues but I’ve never made a custom ring so I’d love some insight. Here are my thoughts:

The ring seems a bit heavy to me. I think it is the double basket/swoop (not sure what to call that) and perhaps the shoulders? I made a very basic edit on my iPhone to compare other options, the photo that has three comparisons, top is original, middle no shoulders, bottom no shoulders and no double basket. But my thought is the double basket adds security…especially without a donut?

I don’t love the design that is on the shank(?). I do like the idea of some Milgrain/design but I am not liking what they’ve come up with so far… I want a subtle surprise design and this one doesn’t quite do it for me.

I prefer petite claw prongs.

I would like to highlight the cushion shape of my stones. I considered double claw prongs but I think for security I want 8. I added a comparison picture where I changed the prong placement, it’s the photo with two pictures of the prongs. I think my version highlights the shape more. Thoughts?

My biggest question is donut or not. It seems like no donut means the stones are sitting higher and could make it more vulnerable? I do like the option to do a detail on the bar below the stones without a donut. Buttttt is a donut the best option for a 3 stone ring, I do intend to wear it regularly.

Am I missing anything else? I plan to ask for measurements as they were obviously not included. Band will be 2mm- I think.

Sorry for all the thoughts/questions. I considered waiting posting for assistance until the next round but decided all the experts here may have insight. Many thanks!!! IMG_3189.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3216.jpeg
    IMG_3216.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3218.jpeg
    IMG_3218.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3202.jpeg
    IMG_3202.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3187.jpeg
    IMG_3187.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3186.jpeg
    IMG_3186.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3191.jpeg
    IMG_3191.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 23

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert, but I think it looks really pretty, not looking like a heavy setting. (But really it does much depend on what the finished items actually look like that the vendor has produced before).

It looks like a large diamond on a small finger size! :lol:

(Snuck a peek at your other thread with the stones and they are gorgeous!)

Imo - I like the version with shoulders better.
The swirl detail could easily be changed to milgrain or double milgrain or another design. I’d ask if it was going to be casted in, or hand applied as they give different results. Maybe casted in and then hand carved/engraved for depth and delicacy?- that sounds kinda interesting!

On it being too high, hard to tell with a rendering how accurate the depth of your stone measurement compared to height of ring /basket and what is air under the center stone culet.
I think if it’s lowered- you’ll need to change degree of tuck/tilt on the sidestones and that’s another personal opinion of what you want to see.

I think the 8 prongs will protect it well if you are concerned about that. (Love the 6/8/6 prong config!) I like your altered center prong position for cushion shape but I wonder if the vendor will also want to rotate the side stone prong orientation for fit (and that will require shoulder detail tweaking but nbd ) or if they’ll be able to smoosh it in with the two adjacent prongs in the same space - and if that changes the placement/tuck/tilt of those sidestones or not.

Hope you show plenty of pics when it’s done!! :love:

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it with the cathedral sides. I also like the 3rd option for the gallery (without the center Vs between the prongs). I wonder
how it would look if you did 4 prongs on the side stones since they are .6ish? That would also lighten up the look. I do like the 6/8/6
prong config. A mock-up of a 4/6/4 prong orientation could be worth a look. I have seen where the cathedral comes up and puts
a 5th prong on a 4/6/4 prong orientation.

Here is a 4/6/4 orientation.

I really like the setting though.

Have you considered heavy beading in that upper shank area?
This is what I mean by heavy beading (where the shank splits):

This shank has some pretty engraving on it that might be a possibility in that upper shank area. It also has some heavy beading on it.

Definitely prefer the foldover flat prongs...CADs dont usually show the final prongs. They usually show default prongs in my
experience and you need to discuss it with them to make sure you get the prong tips you want.

bee24

Rough_Rock
@Rfisher and @tyty333

Great thoughts, thank you! Sorry, I should have referenced my other post! I’ll link it and add a pic of the stones. The more I look at it, I am liking it more and more. I think the prongs seem so prominent to me so I think it’s worth seeing what 4/6/4 and 4/8/4. Six prongs on the .6s seem like a lot. I did another very rudimentary edit leaving shoulders but taking the Vs out. I think I also may want them softened to U shape rather than V.

I had been thinking some beading! I added some inspiration pics I had planned to send, I hadn’t sent any ideas for the shank prior so I think this will help guide the design better.

IMG_2460.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3200.jpeg
    IMG_3200.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3208.jpeg
    IMG_3208.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3206.jpeg
    IMG_3206.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3207.jpeg
    IMG_3207.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3189.jpeg
    IMG_3189.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 13

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that last mockup you just posted. It seems airier and a tad more well-balanced.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results