shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Fancyies Online?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I think I may have already asked this question once few weeks ago, but I didn''t get much response. It just came up in another thread, and I''m still curious, so I''ll ask again.

How do you go about buying a fancy cut online (specifically Princess)? I know about the AGA charts, etc, but everyone says you''ve got to see a fancy to know the difference between an awesome cut and a medeocre one. Anyone have any thoughts about this? I know I can buy and return, but how do I even narrow the pack. I''m sure I''m not the first to struggle with this question. How have you guys gone about this? Are there good sites that have a lot of data (ie pics, firescope, etc) on their fancies?

-Jon

baloo

Rough_Rock
The site I have found with the most data on all their stones, fancies included, is www.goodoldgold.com.

Here's an example of a Princess with plenty of info.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_38ct_d_vs1.htm

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
Thanks, but I think I am looking more in the .5 to .6 ct range. THe smallest stone they have is a .75 ct.

Here's another related question. What sort of performance can I expect out of a Princess? Obviously not as good as a round, but whats the best Princess cut you've seen? Can you attach or provide a link to a b-scope or firescope image? I really want to get the best cut I can, but I don't know whats possible, or what to baseline against.

Thanks
Jon

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Ask Jonathan to source a smaller stone for you
2.gif

The advantage to working with a vendor who insists on seeing the diamonds as opposed to merely having the diamonds drop shipped to a client from their vendor is that a lot of fluff stones have been rejected for the few which are listed for sale... In our experience, princess cuts exhibit about 1/3 to 1/2 of the visual performance of an ideal cut round brilliant... Jonathan, what's your experience been? You play with princess cuts a whole lot more than we do, we're just not fond of them.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI...do you have your heart set on a princess ??? I saw that you said you were looking for .5-.6...is the size set in stone...or do you have some leeway re pricing...Good Old Gold (I bought a stone form them...fancy cut) may have stones in you size that aren't posted...yet...I would recommend contatcting them via their web site...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You want a vendor whose judgement you trust. One who knows his fancies and can tell you if it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results