Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Fancyies Online?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I think I may have already asked this question once few weeks ago, but I didn''t get much response. It just came up in another thread, and I''m still curious, so I''ll ask again.

How do you go about buying a fancy cut online (specifically Princess)? I know about the AGA charts, etc, but everyone says you''ve got to see a fancy to know the difference between an awesome cut and a medeocre one. Anyone have any thoughts about this? I know I can buy and return, but how do I even narrow the pack. I''m sure I''m not the first to struggle with this question. How have you guys gone about this? Are there good sites that have a lot of data (ie pics, firescope, etc) on their fancies?

-Jon

baloo

Rough_Rock
The site I have found with the most data on all their stones, fancies included, is www.goodoldgold.com.

Here's an example of a Princess with plenty of info.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_38ct_d_vs1.htm

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
Thanks, but I think I am looking more in the .5 to .6 ct range. THe smallest stone they have is a .75 ct.

Here's another related question. What sort of performance can I expect out of a Princess? Obviously not as good as a round, but whats the best Princess cut you've seen? Can you attach or provide a link to a b-scope or firescope image? I really want to get the best cut I can, but I don't know whats possible, or what to baseline against.

Thanks
Jon

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Ask Jonathan to source a smaller stone for you

The advantage to working with a vendor who insists on seeing the diamonds as opposed to merely having the diamonds drop shipped to a client from their vendor is that a lot of fluff stones have been rejected for the few which are listed for sale... In our experience, princess cuts exhibit about 1/3 to 1/2 of the visual performance of an ideal cut round brilliant... Jonathan, what's your experience been? You play with princess cuts a whole lot more than we do, we're just not fond of them.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI...do you have your heart set on a princess ??? I saw that you said you were looking for .5-.6...is the size set in stone...or do you have some leeway re pricing...Good Old Gold (I bought a stone form them...fancy cut) may have stones in you size that aren't posted...yet...I would recommend contatcting them via their web site...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You want a vendor whose judgement you trust. One who knows his fancies and can tell you if it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.