shape
carat
color
clarity

buying diamonds online

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tommy34

Rough_Rock

Hello,

I''ve been searching various websites for engagement ring ideas. I have found some mountings on Diamond4all''s website and Knox''s website which I love, but it kind of scares me purchasing a center stone site unseen on the web.

Any suggestions? I''ve heard we can get a better deal online.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
You can get a better deal on line but none of us will make you feel comfortable doing it.

The only advice I can offer, is use a vendor that has a good return policy, get the stone, see it in person and even have it apprasied if you''re not comfortable. If all checks out, you win, if not, return it.
If you give us your budget and specs, we can help you find a beautiful stone.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even if you have no intention of buying online it’s worth your trouble to shop using the online tools and educational material. You’re right that the prices advertised online are usually significantly lower than the local stores are asking for the same items and it doesn’t help to be shy about pointing this out to your local jeweler. They may or may not be willing to match the prices but it often results in a better offer from the locals (or other online sellers if you prefer to shop with one over another). It’s worth noting that most of the online sellers are just a jeweler who happens to be in someone else''s neighborhood who is advertising online to attract far away clients. No more and no less. Some of them even have showrooms and stores that you can visit. It’s not magic. There’s definite advantages to shopping with someone close to home that you can meet with face-to-face and it helps to have a frank conversation with them about what you’re thinking, what you’re considering as an alternative and why. Ask them straight out why you should shop with them instead of the competition. You''re interviewing them to see if they deserve your business. Jewelers are not all the same and the burden is on them to make the case for why you should shop there (this is the case for both online and on the street stores by the way).

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 10:04:51 AM
Author: denverappraiser
It’s worth noting that most of the online sellers are just a jeweler who happens to be in someone else''s neighborhood who is advertising online to attract far away clients. No more and no less. Some of them even have showrooms and stores that you can visit.
Right. Neil makes some very good points, but I just wanted to quote this bit. I know some people approach buying diamonds online as if they were buying a book from Amazon, but for such a large purchase I think it''s worth developing a relationship with a vendor--whether he is online or not. That means you should look at these forums in more depth, read the testimonials and view the stones/rings others have posted, and develop your own short list of the vendors you think you''d feel comfortable with. Then, for the remote vendors, shoot them an email or call them after checking out their sites. "Talk" to them, confirm that the stone you''re looking at suits your needs or see if they can guide you to something that works best for your parameters. A good jeweler is not a search engine; the Internet just allows you to widen your search and email allows you to strategize with more vendors than you could just looking locally.

That said, there is certainly something to be said for someone within driving distance as well, and it doesn''t hurt to evaluate your local vendors in the same manner.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I prefer being able to review asset reports and IS images at home rather than in front of pushy sales people. Also, there are some AWESOME online vendors. There''s a reason BGD, WF< and GOG pop up again and again. Their diamonds are gorgeous, their prices are competative, and they ahev good return/upgrade policies (though each is a little different, so you have to read the fine print).

ONly you can decide what you are comfortable with, but if it were me, I''d rather buy diamonds online
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results