shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an engagement ring from Eternity Diamonds--a chronicle

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
.9 and .95 are not going to have a visible size difference. IMO if you are going to compromise on color or clarity (which I fully support as long as it''s eyeclean and faces up white) I would only do it if it woulrepresent visible cost savings or size difference (I think you''ll need to get around 1.10 ct + to see a visible difference from .9

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 12:45:55 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
.9 and .95 are not going to have a visible size difference. IMO if you are going to compromise on color or clarity (which I fully support as long as it''s eyeclean and faces up white) I would only do it if it woulrepresent visible cost savings or size difference (I think you''ll need to get around 1.10 ct + to see a visible difference from .9
Ditto. It is not worth trying to find an eye clean SI2 to gain 5 points, you will NOT see the difference. With your budget I think you will not be able to jump the 1ct mark anyways, even dropping to a J color, so stick with the 90 point G SI1 or else look for H SI1s that are closer to 1ct, H is still icy white especially in tha size range.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to update this post for future potential ED shoppers who are looking for info.
I''ve had Yoni at Eternity Diamonds call for info on a bunch of stones (at least 6 or 7) to check if they''re eye-clean or if the flouro makes them hazy, etc. Unfortunately it seems this is a busy time of year for marriage proposals, and many stones have been out on memo. However, after a lot of leg work from ED I''ve narrowed it down to two stones and I''m going to check them out in person. Eternity Diamonds is primarily an online shop, but since I''m so close to Manhattan they''re going to let me stop in with my ideal scope. In fact, they even offered to ship the stones to me to review with free shipping, however I''m barely responsible enough to handle one diamond, so I was too nervous to have multiple sent to me.

Anyway, the final two are posted here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/down-to-two-how-do-these-diamonds-look.142542/
Thanks again for all the insight.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
I'm back from the diamond district with one less decision to make
28.gif
!

The person I'm working with at Eternity Diamonds (Yoni) brought in two stones and put another on hold first thing this morning so that I could check it out if necessary. I must say, he's gone above and beyond to help me find the perfect ring. We met in their office where he had a price scope and ASET scope ready to go. He also had their gemologist join us to answer any questions and the three of us spent well over an hour pouring over the stones. The two diamonds in question (found here) were beautiful. Both were eye clean in daylight and office light (they let me walk them all around the room), but the gemologist warned me that he didn't like the inclusions in the first one. He said that, despite being eye clean, he thought the SI1 was pushing it, and that he would have guessed it was a good SI2. Once I put it under the ideal scope the inclusions were obvious--feather on the crown was big, and there were a couple of black spots. It was hard to let go of that stone since, on the cut adviser, it's right in AGS ideal. However, the gemologist (who was also extremely helpful) really liked the symmetry and clarity of the second stone, and it looked better (I think) under the ideal scope. In his estimation, the first stone being a bad si1, he thought the second was a better buy, and I had to agree. The black spots were just big enough that some day I would see them, under some light, or I'd see some dirt on it and think it was a flaw (is that what you call "mind clean?"). The second stone, on the other hand, is TOTALLY clean. We couldn't find the inclusions with the 10x. And the bright white color is awesome. Plus at 6.3mm it's almost as wide as a 1 c!

I'll try to post the price scope pics when I load them on the computer. They're not great, but maybe you'll see something.

In any case, sorry for the long post, but I'm thrilled with Eternity Diamonds so far and wanted to share.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
The ring arrived and it looks amazing! I had Eternity Diamonds ship it to a local FedEx for pickup (since my girlfriend lives with me) and they sent it overnight last night (free of charge). It arrived around 11am and I was there by 11:30.

Preliminary pictures are below, but they don''t do the ring justice (do they ever?). The girlfriend is home today, so I can''t use a real camera or get proper lighting. Camera phone will have to do for now.

Thanks again to everyone here for helping me find the perfect ring--and a special thanks to Eternity Diamonds, who bent over backwards to make this happen at an extremely good price. After finding pricescope I became the most annoying customer! IS images, multiple diamonds on site--like I said before, the gemologist sat with me for almost an hour and half looking at two stones! The design is custom and I can''t find a better price for the setting or the stone anywhere. So thanks Eternity Diamonds, I definitely know where I''m going for wedding rings.

Now, onto the bling: center stone is IGA .90 ex, ex, ex, below 2 on HCA, F color, VS2 clarity, med blue flouro (and a nice wide 6.3mm). Setting is a custom 18k gold shared-prong style with 8 8point stones (.64ctw).
Hope she likes it!

box two.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
next

picabia box.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
My hands are pretty big, so this should look great on her sz 4.75 finger.

picabia hand text.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
last one today. I''ll take more with a real camera and share in the "show us your bling section."

picabia hand two.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its beautiful! Congratulations....I''m sure she will love it!!!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
yeeeee! Wonderful... going to Bling right now!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes congratulations Picabia, you did a great job!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
She will love it!

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
I know it''s a little "chunky" for the general taste here, but my girlfriend seems to be more geared toward the David Yurman-ish look, so I went a little thicker than usual.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it''s definitely not ''chunky'' but perhaps more ''substantial'' and has a nice presence. it looks great!!! when are you going to give it to her?

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks slg--substantial is definitely what I was going for! The plan is to propose the first week of June during our 5 year college reunion. We met at school, and I remember the bench where we had our first conversation. Planning to head up there a day early so the reunion crowd is thin, just need an excuse (the hotel has been booked for a month!).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's going to be thrilled!! Elegant and substantial is the perfect description
9.gif
10.gif

Good luck!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that is so sweet! she sill love it. I am also going to my boyfriend''s 5th college reunion this summer! congratulations on the beautiful ring-you will have to post handshots when you give it to her.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my opinion 3mm is still a delicate band! It looks awesome and your proposal idea is wonderful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results