shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an engagement ring from Eternity Diamonds--a chronicle

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
After weeks of researching to find the "perfect" e-ring I narrowed my jeweler selection down to James Allen and Eternity Diamonds. As I said in another post, the main issues for me are 1) easy and comprehensive website, 2) a chance to actually see diamonds in person in NYC, and 3) price (that is, value).

Obviously JA has it''s supporters on this site, but it seems Eternity Diamonds (ED) is a newcomer and there aren''t many reviews here. Since their prices seem very competitive, and they have a feature to physically try out CZ mock-ups of your potential ring, I thought I''d give the company a shot and post my experience here as I go.

PLEASE NOTE: I have no affiliation with ED, just trying to give a little something back to this site, which has been extremely helpful in helping me understand how diamond buying works. I will post all the things I like about the company, but things I don''t as well. Just trying to be objective.

With that said, my journey has begun. I ordered 3 differed settings to be mailed to me (at no cost!) so I can check them out in person. I''ll take some pics when they arrive and let you know how they look.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
The rings arrived in the mail this Monday. ED had no problem sending them to my work address. They sent along size info about the CZs in the rings to compare, as well as a ring sizing tool to help me figure out what size to buy.

Unfortunately not all of the rings I wanted to see were in stock, but they sent along another that they thought I might like (and did, though it's out of my price range) and told me to let them know if I still want to see the out of stock ring.

The rings look great, and I must say, this is an awesome option. It's really hard for me to judge things like ring thickness an feel online. All rings are diamond bands. I was originally leaning toward the leona setting, which has tons of sparkle, but it's a bit too thin I think for the diamond I want. The sage models (channel set) have a great feel, but they loose some of the sparkle that the more open settings of the leona ring has. That said, I'm leaning toward the sage (sent two models, shown below. I think the smaller one would look great with a 90 point center stone). I also most note that they've offered to change up the prong setting that I wasn't thrilled with, and possibly design the smaller sage a little bigger if that's the direction we want to go. So far I'm liking this company a lot. Let's just hope I manage to stay under/on budget...
PS Sorry for the bad camera phone pics--I don't want to take e-ring pictures on my girlfriend's camera!

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
All in a row

pouch.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
On my hand

all on hand side.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
From the front

all on hand.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Leona from the front

leona front.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Leona from the side

leona side.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
I''m leaning toward this one with a bigger center stone. Sage (smaller version)

sage small front.jpg

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
This is the bigger sage model.
Please let me know what you guys think of the settings, and what concerns you usually have RE daily wearable rings!

sage big front.jpg

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great series, thanks.

Well, my preference is for the Leona, but it''s all in the eye of the beholder. I look forward to your future posts.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
I know, I keep going back and forth. The Leona is a great setting, but it''s a very thin band, so I''m not sure I''ll be able to find a wedding band that looks good with it. I''m also thinking channel set stones will be less likely to catch on clothing. But the Leona does have a lot of shine!

I''m going to order a few more and post up those picks before I make a decision.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 10:23:43 AM
Author: Picabia
Leona from the front

My vote is for the Leona! But that is probably because it looks almost exactly like the setting that we just ordered from whiteflash. I''m either going to get a plain white gold knife edge band or a matching shared prong melee (half eternity) that matches the melee on the setting.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Another for the Leona, huh. Any pics of your setting LegallySpoiled?

I do love the setting (so much sparkle), but it''s just so thin. So the guys at ED said they''d talk to the design team about going wider. Maybe bigger diamonds to push it up to 3mm width.

Anyone have experience with shared prong settings? Do they catch on clothing a lot?

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
The melee are (8) three pointers - 0.03 carats a piece. The band is 2.4mm which is a little wider than I originally wanted. Click here to see my setting. Be sure to click enlarge to see a better picture.

Click here to see btrflygrl23''s full eternity version.

I think it boils down to preference. I originally thought that I wanted a channel set setting. After I tried some on, I realized that I didn''t like all of the metal surrounding the diamonds. Especially, when coupled with a band. I want to see diamonds not metal! I also liked a thinner band because through my eyes it really made the diamond pop and shine. I boiled it down to either a very thin all metal (no pave or melee) band or a very thin band of diamonds. Again, these are just my preferences. Everyone has their own!
2.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I, too, prefer the Leona. My set is shared prong and I have had no problems with the prongs catching on anything!

impatiently_waiting

Rough_Rock
I love the Leona, too! It is so beautiful. And I like it without the metal around the diamonds.

What is the width of the band right now? Also, what size diamond are you thinking of using. I know that you had mentioned a 90 point diamond for the other setting.

I am guessing that you have shared your concerns with Eternity Diamonds since they mentioned that they could make the band wider by using larger stones. What do they say about the width of the band?

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Ok, next step--before I commit, please weigh in!

After all the positive comments about the Leona I had a change of heart. However, it's just too thin for me I think. It's 2.5mm and I want 3mm. So the guys at Eternity Diamonds talked to the design department and they said they could make me a custom ring with 8 bezel set 8 point diamonds instead of the leona's 10 3 points. The band will be widened accordingly. They've offered a great price. So I'm going to order tomorrow. Any thoughts before I do?!

By the way impatiently waiting, sorry not to have responded, but I didn't have all the answers yet from the design team. I think this answers all of your questions, correct? For the custom ring they will make all new molds, so yes they would widen the band, not just insert new stones.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 9:38:07 PM
Ok, next step--before I commit, please weigh in!

After all the positive comments about the Leona I had a change of heart. However, it's just too thin for me I think. It's 2.5mm and I want 3mm. So the guys at Eternity Diamonds talked to the design department and they said they could make me a custom ring with 8 bezel set 8 point diamonds instead of the leona's 10 3 points. The band will be widened accordingly. They've offered a great price. So I'm going to order tomorrow. Any thoughts before I do?!

By the way impatiently waiting, sorry not to have responded, but I didn't have all the answers yet from the design team. I think this answers all of your questions, correct? For the custom ring they will make all new molds, so yes they would widen the band, not just insert new stones.

Great choice Picabia!

I pulled this up just to give you an idea of what the 8 pointers will look like. Link: 8 Pointer Shared Prong Melee. Keep in mind that the center stone is 2 carats. Here is a page with a ton of pics with 2-3 pointers. Link:

Examples of 2-3 shared prong melee

Did you say what size her finger is? What size is the center stone? If it were me, my only concern would be the 8 point melee overpowering the center stone. Is Eternity Diamonds able to provide you with a CAD image of the design?

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks legally spoiled!
Now I''m worried the stones will be too big!
My girlfriend''s ring size is 4.75. The center stone will be 90 points, ideal cut (makes it look bigger, right?). I can ask for a CAD file--then you''ll have to tell me what to look for...
Regarding the stone sizes, the leona is .30 total weight and 2.5mm. It''s lovely, but just a little thin for what I was looking for (personal pref, it''s beautiful either way). If we bump the total up to .50 it only adds .25mm. Bumping it up to 4 8 pointers makes the band 3mm. Is that too large for a 90 point stone?

RE Bezel vs prong, ED must have their description wrong (http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Leona-Diamond-Prong-Set-Engagement-Ring-%28.30-ctw.%29-185.htm) but I''ll be sure to check that the custom stone has the same setting as the Leona.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
No problem! Just trying to help.
1.gif

It is going to boil down to personal style. In my opinion, either way will be beautiful. The smaller melee will give the ring a more delicate look (which I prefer), while the larger melee will be more substantial. Regardless, I can''t wait to see it! With a smaller finger, it is bound to be a stunner either way!

Definitely make sure that they are clear that you want a "shared prong" setting.

In the meantime, I will fish around to see if I can find something similar in the archives.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again legally spoiled.
I''ll ask the designer today if he thinks the 8 pointers will detract from the center stone. My girlfriend and I are grad students, so while I want to get her a stunning ring, I don''t want it to be too gaudy. On the other hand, she''s been through a lot in the last 4 months (a surprise stroke, followed by brain surgery--I might elaborate on this in another forum), so I want to do something really special for her. Again, I really appreciate the help, it would be hard to do this right without this forum.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
I ordered the setting! Went with eight 8 point stones shared prong 18k gold (Leona setting, just bigger). Should be 3mm width. Guys at Eternity Diamonds are giving me a great deal and it should be ready between 2 and 4 week from now.

Now...time to find a stone. Looking for a 90 pointer. D-G, Ideal Cut, SI1 clarity or above. Any suggestions let me know, otherwise, wish me luck.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Nice! I''m chiming in late but really relieved you went for the Leona.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/29/2010 9:26:22 PM
I ordered the setting! Went with eight 8 point stones shared prong 18k gold (Leona setting, just bigger). Should be 3mm width. Guys at Eternity Diamonds are giving me a great deal and it should be ready between 2 and 4 week from now.

Now...time to find a stone. Looking for a 90 pointer. D-G, Ideal Cut, SI1 clarity or above. Any suggestions let me know, otherwise, wish me luck.

Nothing beats a good deal!
36.gif

What is your budget for the stone?

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
I''m shooting for around $3,500 for the stone after the price scope discount. Think that''s realistic?

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to give an update. I''ve narrowed my selection down to 4 or 5 stones using the HCA and Yoni at Eternity Diamonds (who I''m working with) is going to call vendors and check on eye clarity. From there I should be able to narrow it down to 3 to go see in person (with my new ideal scope!). So far Eternity Diamonds has been very tolerant of my numerous requests and concerns. GIA reports aren''t always available from their website at the moment (construction), but they are quick to email certs.

I''m shooting for two different general categories: 90 point si1 G ideally cut stones OR 95+point F-G Ideally cut SI2 stones. Before I post numbers, etc, does anyone have a gut feeling about the risk of going si2 just to get a bigger stone? I think my girl is going to want the size, but I don''t want to see major inclusions in low light or compromise brilliance for a few points.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 12:30:26 PM
Just wanted to give an update. I've narrowed my selection down to 4 or 5 stones using the HCA and Yoni at Eternity Diamonds (who I'm working with) is going to call vendors and check on eye clarity. From there I should be able to narrow it down to 3 to go see in person (with my new ideal scope!). So far Eternity Diamonds has been very tolerant of my numerous requests and concerns. GIA reports aren't always available from their website at the moment (construction), but they are quick to email certs.

I'm shooting for two different general categories: 90 point si1 G ideally cut stones OR 95+point F-G Ideally cut SI2 stones. Before I post numbers, etc, does anyone have a gut feeling about the risk of going si2 just to get a bigger stone? I think my girl is going to want the size, but I don't want to see major inclusions in low light or compromise brilliance for a few points.
You can certainly look at SI2 but the key is to make absolutely sure the vendor understands your expectations concerning the ' eyecleanliness' of the stone and make sure you get a good return policy to give you time to inspect the diamond in different lighting conditions. Another thing to watch is if you find an SI2 with grade setting clouds, these can sometimes negatively affect the performance of the stone so check carefully.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results