shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a diamond from a friend ......

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
It seems to me that you may have already made your mind up. You came to a forum where people have been in the business of diamonds, some of which longer than I've been alive, and asked questions and was given answers.

I would also have to disagree that the majority of women would want more size then a nicely cut diamond. You could have the biggest diamond in the world but if the cut isnt the best its not gonna twinkle. Most of the time a smaller diamond that has a amazing cut will look bigger.

fmzip

Rough_Rock
OMG....

Again, I am considering purchasing this ring, it is not mine. I've talked to BGD, I've been to countless stores included the ghastly "Tiffany's" as i am sure I will hear next....

I didn't realize the forum was strictly for discussion of excellent cut stones. I thought I would get some advice on stone prices from tradespeople, not simply buyers/consumers.

Sorry to disrupt the group with my inconceivable thought of purchasing a good cut diamond. This is pure insanity that this would be considered wrong and rude. This thread should be renamed "need advice from the pricecult"

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1308866152|2953353 said:
You aren't going to get the dollar amount that you are looking for because this stone wouldn't be worth buying for many of us.

Informed diamond consumers care about cut quality because cut has the largest affect on the stone's appearance. We want stones that look as beautiful as possible, and that means excellent cut stones. We aren't going to bother worrying about the dollar value of a "good" cut stone because good cut stones aren't worth anything to those of us who know how important cut really is.

You don't have to worry about the diamond market becoming saturated with AGS000 rounds, though--most diamond consumers are ignorant and they just want to buy the largest stone they can find with the best specs, even though many times those specs are assigned by unreliable labs and don't mean much anyway. (What a horror that would be--nothing but AGS000 all over the place! The terror!)

In other words:
Coming onto PS and asking for the resale value of a good cut RB is akin to going on an artisan cheese forum and asking what you should be paying for Kraft American cheese singles. (But I can get four pounds of Kraft American cheese for the same cost of four ounces of local artisan Gouda! Why don't you people want the Kraft? There is so much MORE of it!)

If you really want to buy this stone of your friend's, buy it. Pay what it's worth to you. Get an appraisal from a trusted appraiser, and go from there. If this stone really does belong to you, which is what it sounds like, set a price and hope for some uninformed consumer to come along. There are a lot of them out there, so I'm sure you'll be able to sell it to someone.

:appl: Thank you Haven! Perfect analogy!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy to the VEY.
I can't tell if you are simply ignoring the responses, or just having a difficult time comprehending what everyone is saying.

If you want information strictly from tradespeople there is a really easy way to get it--pay for an appraisal! (Although, I am amused by your choice to post on a public forum, followed by your bemoaning of the fact that you are getting responses from the general public.)

fmzip

Rough_Rock
drillsgtsgem|1308866665|2953373 said:
It seems to me that you may have already made your mind up.

What have I made my mind up on?

This buying experience was much more fun before I posted here, I will tell you THAT

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
fmzip|1308866914|2953380 said:
OMG....

Again, I am considering purchasing this ring, it is not mine. I've talked to BGD, I've been to countless stores included the ghastly "Tiffany's" as i am sure I will hear next....

I didn't realize the forum was strictly for discussion of excellent cut stones. I thought I would get some advice on stone prices from tradespeople, not simply buyers/consumers.

Sorry to disrupt the group with my inconceivable thought of purchasing a good cut diamond. This is pure insanity that this would be considered wrong and rude. This thread should be renamed "need advice from the pricecult"

Okay ONE more time, all of the CONSUMERS here gave you the same VALUE that your 'friends' APPRAISER (ie PROFESSIONAL) gave you! What else do you want? Another professional to give you ANOTHER value?

Everyone here is only trying to establish a value for you based on the information that you have supplied. If you would like only trades people to respond then you should click on the 'report a concern' button and ask a mod to rename your thread to include ONLY PS trades people. And all of the responsed have had YOUR best interest in mind. It seems that you would be happier if we told you that it was worth 14000.00, and then you could go spend 14000.00 on your 'friends' 7000.00 ring. The intention was to protect you.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD01660356

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1307821543|2943465 said:
I'd suggest she get it appraised if the stone appraised as a F SI1 then i would offer her $7,000-$7500

what did i tell ya??... :praise:

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
fmzip|1308867291|2953393 said:
drillsgtsgem|1308866665|2953373 said:
It seems to me that you may have already made your mind up.

What have I made my mind up on?

This buying experience was much more fun before I posted here, I will tell you THAT

You dont seem to be very open minded to what people have to say here. In that respect, you come off like you may have made your mind up in regards to buying the ring. Please dont be defensive to what everyone is saying. You wouldnt have come here if in fact you knew you needed someone's experienced opinon on the stone. Everyone here has given you great insight.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote Troll, people. That is the only explanation I can see for this thread.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fmzip|1308861657|2953244 said:
She emailed the appraisal.

Replacement Cost $25K

Cut Good

Finish Good

They told her the wholesale value is $15K and she thinks 30% off of that is fair. So instead of more "pass" comments, does anyone want to add to the conversation

The appraisal was done here http://www.valentinesdiamondcenter.com/

So now what?

appraisal.jpg

LOL yeah, "pass"! :cheeky:

You are being deliberately antagonistic. Clearly you have made up your own mind on this - so why bother trying to convert others to your way of thinking? Surely having faith in your own convictions is sufficient to feel comfortable with your decision?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1308872557|2953480 said:
I vote Troll, people. That is the only explanation I can see for this thread.

Ditto. A troll.

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock
I don't think he's a troll to be honest, just a highly sensitive man and not accustomed to constructive criticism.

Fmzip, I think you're seeing it the wrong way. They're not bashing your friend's diamond, they're actually trying to SAVE you from making a bad purchase and possibly damaging a friendship you have! There were no snappy posts until you got defensive...

You came here for advice, that's what you got.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
CushionCutie|1308874469|2953514 said:
I don't think he's a troll to be honest, just a highly sensitive man and not accustomed to constructive criticism.

Fmzip, I think you're seeing it the wrong way. They're not bashing your friend's diamond, they're actually trying to SAVE you from making a bad purchase and possibly damaging a friendship you have! There were no snappy posts until you got defensive...

You came here for advice, that's what you got.

Replace "sensitive" with "stubborn" and I just might agree with you ;))

slg47

Ideal_Rock
to the OP: you came to PS asking us for 'value'. this is something that we cannot determine. the BEST we can do is guess and recommend that you see an independent appraiser (which it looks like you did). so really we cannot add any more to the conversation in terms of value.

what we can add is opinions on what we know, which in this case is the cut. if you do intend to purchase this diamond I would at least compare it to some ideal cut stones in different lighting environments.

this video might be useful in illustrating cut quality.
http://www.vimeo.com/2225754

fmzip

Rough_Rock
slg47|1308876937|2953566 said:
to the OP: you came to PS asking us for 'value'. this is something that we cannot determine. the BEST we can do is guess and recommend that you see an independent appraiser (which it looks like you did). so really we cannot add any more to the conversation in terms of value.

what we can add is opinions on what we know, which in this case is the cut. if you do intend to purchase this diamond I would at least compare it to some ideal cut stones in different lighting environments.

this video might be useful in illustrating cut quality.
http://www.vimeo.com/2225754

Thanks for the link. I've watched all those videos earlier this year.

The appraisal is not mine, it's the seller's. My next step will be to get my own.

I've seen all sorts of stones from the very best to the very worst. My plan was to buy this BGD http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049676010 because I too drank the punch. However, it all becomes a blur after awhile to some degree when you start looking at rings in person. Unless you have two diamonds side by side, many look just pretty as they are. I've seen very few ugly diamonds or blobs of spit as this group refers to them in the higher end stores I've shopped in.

Irrelevant as well to the value of this diamond, my GF feels the real fiery ones look fake. It's the same on the color scale to myself until I dip down to J. I don't see much of a difference. So again, i wasn't looking for anyone to agree or to tout my friends diamond. I was looking for more than just a couple people placing value comments in this threads.

The cheese analogy a few threads up is a bit disturbing to me as well. It's like this is a group of elitist's and I don't think I want that perception associated with me or my girl. I used to think I'd tell everyone I know about this site, I'm seriously reconsidering that this very moment.

To the others,

Call me a troll, call me overly sensitive, stubborn, whatever you'd like. I'd suggest opening your very closed minds and taking a good look at yourself. Did you really contribute to my thread and provide me with the information I was asking for? If your answer is "yes" your perfectly cut rings must be blinding you. If you comment and say that's a good thing, you are too in love with your ring and likely snub others like you're snubbing me.

And if you really re-read these three pages, count how many post were simply advice as to what I should or shouldn't do and were completely off-topic to my opening question.

CharmyPoo|1308866516|2953365 said:
A fair value was established for the stone.
I am still interested in what you decide.

I don't feel comfortable with two peoples input. That is why I was trying to weed out the consumer advisory board. If I don't buy the BGD, do you think this thread will congratulate me? LOL....not this group.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For goodness sakes. Buy what you want.

END of story. Please.

fmzip

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1308879686|2953627 said:
HI:

For goodness sakes. Buy what you want.

END of story. Please.

Why even post here? Do you have an opinion on $$$$$'s of the ring we are discussing? If not, your comments are fruitless as well.

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
Call me a troll, call me overly sensitive, stubborn, whatever you'd like. I'd suggest opening your very closed minds and taking a good look at yourself. Did you really contribute to my thread and provide me with the information I was asking for? If your answer is "yes" your perfectly cut rings must be blinding you. If you comment and say that's a good thing, you are too in love with your ring and likely snub others like you're snubbing me.

WOW- :rolleyes:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="fmzip|1308878698|
Irrelevant as well to the value of this diamond, my GF feels the real fiery ones look fake. It's the same on the color scale to myself until I dip down to J. I don't see much of a difference. So again, i wasn't looking for anyone to agree or to tout my friends diamond. I was looking for more than just a couple people placing value comments in this threads.

[/quote]
then i think you should buy her a Ebay salt & pepper stone.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have knowledge regarding the value bit her appraisal is clearly for insurance purposes, to protect her. That value should not influence your purchase price. Before you agree to purchase I would absolutely get it appraised on your own by an independent appraiser for resale/valuation purposes.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
So, tell us.....what do YOU feel a fair value of the ring is?

fmzip

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1308880763|2953653 said:
So, tell us.....what do YOU feel a fair value of the ring is?

I guess $7500 since one person of the trade stated so. That's a starting point. Quite honestly, I think it's worth less. She likely will never get much of anything for it just like any ring in the second hand market.

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
Why even post here? Do you have an opinion on $$$$$'s of the ring we are discussing? If not, your comments are fruitless as well.

UGH-this thread is fruitless. :rolleyes:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Listen, at this point you aren't going to get any trades people to chime in, and you obviously haven't liked anything that anyone else has had to say. I tried to get back on track with you, asking what you felt the ring was worth (you must have a thought) but you prefer to ignore the post related to the original question in favor of bashing on the people who were only trying to protect YOUR best interest.

fmzip

Rough_Rock
drillsgtsgem|1308882030|2953672 said:

UGH-this thread is fruitless. :rolleyes:

more banter.....

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
fmzip|1307722965|2942572 said:
So my friend is recently divorced. She has a 1.84CT solitaire ring that has never been appraised. It looks nice to me but what do I know.

She has a GIA report # 13768414 dated October 2004 so some info is missing like cut grade.

Without having an appraisal done, is there a way to ballpark the value of this ring like is it a 11k ring or 15K ring? This is a link to the GIA report. Is there enough info to make some sort of educated guess on price within reason. Like, I realize it's not a $5000 stone but what would it be closer to in value:http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=13768414&weight=1.84

yes....this certainly implies that you felt it was worth much less....Jeesh guy are you kidding me???

fmzip

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1308882196|2953676 said:
Listen, at this point you aren't going to get any trades people to chime in, and you obviously haven't liked anything that anyone else has had to say. I tried to get back on track with you, asking what you felt the ring was worth (you must have a thought) but you prefer to ignore the post related to the original question in favor of bashing on the people who were only trying to protect YOUR best interest.

I answered your question a few posts up...the peanut gallery keeps this thread going south.

I appreciate the concern , but I am not looking to be protected. That is not what I am asking. That is what is sooooooooo annoying.

There is nothing "I don't like", I just am not looking to have a discussion on what everyone else feels is most important. I understand the group's concensus, that wasn't the point of this thread. It's NEVER been on topic.

I am not defending any position, I am not disagreeing, I have a person who said $7500 dollars, I haven't disagreed or argued with that. I don't want to hear pointless banter on touting purchasing advice for or against....that's all

fmzip

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1308882483|2953683 said:
So my friend is recently divorced. She has a 1.84CT solitaire ring that has never been appraised. It looks nice to me but what do I know.

She has a GIA report # 13768414 dated October 2004 so some info is missing like cut grade.

Without having an appraisal done, is there a way to ballpark the value of this ring like is it a 11k ring or 15K ring? This is a link to the GIA report. Is there enough info to make some sort of educated guess on price within reason. Like, I realize it's not a $5000 stone but what would it be closer to in value:http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=13768414&weight=1.84

yes....this certainly implies that you felt it was worth much less....Jeesh guy are you kidding me???

If you listened to the advice I have been given here, this stone is worthless.....please read from the beginning. Could I kindly ask you to stop adding exactly more of the same non-sense to my thread.

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
fmzip|1308882693|2953688 said:
Christina...|1308882483|2953683 said:

If you listened to the advice I have been given here, this stone is worthless.....please read from the beginning. Could I kindly ask you to stop adding exactly more of the same non-sense to my thread.

[qoute]I answered your question a few posts up...the peanut gallery keeps this thread going south[/quote]

peanut gallery...lol!!!!!!

How about you stop adding non sense???????? It seems like you already know how you feel about the ring so move on!!!

fmzip

Rough_Rock
The comments I made were directed to the specific people who made assumptions, like I am ill-informed, I am not listening to what is "right", I am making a bad decision, it's my ring, my GF doesn't like fiery etc etc.

I'm off base??? These people are off base. I've never insulted their rings, their women, their choices. I have got just the opposite for simply considering and discussing a stone that is not in favor...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results