shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyer's Remorse

pom_mom

Rough_Rock
I don't know much about diamonds. I just got my 1.53 ct round, VS1, H color, VG cut/VG polish/VG symmetry, faint fluorescence. I feel like sometimes the diamond doesn't sparkle a lot and in sometimes it does. And I don't know if it's just me but it seems like sometimes it looks faintly yellow/dull.

After reading so many articles about Excellent Cut vs Very Good and diamond proportions, I wish I got a better cut stone and was more vocal in the buying process (too late now). I left it up to him to choose the stone and I know he saved up to buy this stone and he loves it. But I'm the type of person who always wants the best and I don't mind spending the money because you get what you pay for...he isn't. I feel guilty that I keep "googling" diamond proportions because I know he bought the best stone that he could with his budget.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think that is pretty typical of a first diamond, to be honest. I've certainly heard it from others and done it myself. But ... that's what the upgrades are for!

Budgets tend to grow over time so what he or you both consider outside the budget might be completely different in a couple of years.

So, that's my two coppers. I'd enjoy it for now but with a plan in my mind to move up after while. :)

pom_mom

Rough_Rock
I think that is pretty typical of a first diamond, to be honest. I've certainly heard it from others and done it myself. But ... that's what the upgrades are for!

Budgets tend to grow over time so what he or you both consider outside the budget might be completely different in a couple of years.

So, that's my two coppers. I'd enjoy it for now but with a plan in my mind to move up after while. :)
Thank you, I appreciate your great advice =)2

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seaurchin gave good advice....if you don't grow to love it more there are a lot of options including recutting, selling on the secondary market, repurposing into a pendant etc. Also i read a post once that basically said a super clean but less well cut diamond will outsparkle a well cut but dirty one so making a daily ritual of cleaning it could help. The cut on mine isn't perfect and I keep bottles of cleaner and toothbrushes and an ultrasonic machine at the ready :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

pom_mom

Rough_Rock
Seaurchin gave good advice....if you don't grow to love it more there are a lot of options including recutting, selling on the secondary market, repurposing into a pendant etc. Also i read a post once that basically said a super clean but less well cut diamond will outsparkle a well cut but dirty one so making a daily ritual of cleaning it could help. The cut on mine isn't perfect and I keep bottles of cleaner and toothbrushes and an ultrasonic machine at the ready :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:
Thank you for your advice as well =)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about diamonds. I just got my 1.53 ct round, VS1, H color, VG cut/VG polish/VG symmetry, faint fluorescence. I feel like sometimes the diamond doesn't sparkle a lot and in sometimes it does. And I don't know if it's just me but it seems like sometimes it looks faintly yellow/dull.

After reading so many articles about Excellent Cut vs Very Good and diamond proportions, I wish I got a better cut stone and was more vocal in the buying process (too late now). I left it up to him to choose the stone and I know he saved up to buy this stone and he loves it. But I'm the type of person who always wants the best and I don't mind spending the money because you get what you pay for...he isn't. I feel guilty that I keep "googling" diamond proportions because I know he bought the best stone that he could with his budget.
may we see it please ?
i bet ill think its lovelly

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, not the best picture
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190610073042560.jpg

@pom_mom, it's beautiful! :love: Congratulations on your engagement... I hope you can just relax and allow yourself to enjoy the beauty of your new ring...it has great specs and is a wonderful size. Would love to see a hand shot and some more pics if you're up to it :kiss2:

pom_mom

Rough_Rock
@pom_mom, it's beautiful! :love: Congratulations on your engagement... I hope you can just relax and allow yourself to enjoy the beauty of your new ring...it has great specs and is a wonderful size. Would love to see a hand shot and some more pics if you're up to it :kiss2:

Thank you @junebug17 =)2 I'll try to take more pics and post later. I just think the stone might be a tad bit shallow. I will try to relax and enjoy my new ring. :D

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my dear i must apologise im getting my comments muddeled up between two threads all be it with your ring in my head

but i stand by my comment that ring is drop dead gorgouse and get wearing it
take her out to lunch !
i really love the shape of your diamond
i would wear it with pride

pom_mom

Rough_Rock
Get a magnasonic ultrasonic cleaner from amazon and clean it once a day

That sounds like a great idea @whitewave, I've just been cleaning with the small brush that comes with the the jewelry cleaner. =)2

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring! You should wear it with pride and stop worrying about specs (my ring is not what would be considered a PS quality ring at all in terms of size or cut - but I can't tell you how many people comment on how sparkly it is). It's easy to get lost in thinking that if something isn't the top .001% of the best of the best that it's not beautiful, but compared to the vast majority of what is out there, your FI did good. Flash that baby around and let people admire it, and you'll start to feel better in no time!

pom_mom

Rough_Rock
It's a beautiful ring! You should wear it with pride and stop worrying about specs (my ring is not what would be considered a PS quality ring at all in terms of size or cut - but I can't tell you how many people comment on how sparkly it is). It's easy to get lost in thinking that if something isn't the top .001% of the best of the best that it's not beautiful, but compared to the vast majority of what is out there, your FI did good. Flash that baby around and let people admire it, and you'll start to feel better in no time!

Thank you @cmd2014m , you're right, I'm getting caught up with specs. Appreciate your thoughts =)2:D

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @cmd2014m , you're right, I'm getting caught up with specs. Appreciate your thoughts =)2:D

It's hard not to here. It's easy to start thinking that if you don't have an ideal cut diamond that yours is not good enough - but you also have to remember that this is a rarified crowd and that the vast majority of people may not be able to see the difference unless directly compared side by side, and even then, some may find that they prefer what they have always seen rather than what is considered ideal. From your picture, your stone doesn't have any obvious flaws in terms of light return, and it looks beautiful and white. I would love to have a ring like yours. I hope you are able to enjoy it as it was clearly picked out with a fair bit of care and love.

pom_mom

Rough_Rock
It's hard not to here. It's easy to start thinking that if you don't have an ideal cut diamond that yours is not good enough - but you also have to remember that this is a rarified crowd and that the vast majority of people may not be able to see the difference unless directly compared side by side, and even then, some may find that they prefer what they have always seen rather than what is considered ideal. From your picture, your stone doesn't have any obvious flaws in terms of light return, and it looks beautiful and white. I would love to have a ring like yours. I hope you are able to enjoy it as it was clearly picked out with a fair bit of care and love.

I do see your point. And you're right, it was picked out with a lot of care and love. :D:D:D

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like a great idea @whitewave, I've just been cleaning with the small brush that comes with the the jewelry cleaner. =)2

If you loupe it, it’s still probably filthy. Do the magnasonic (like 30-40$) with HOT water and Mr. Clean citrus. Rinse and blow dry with canned air or a blow dryer. I use filtered water so mineral deposits from tap water don’t stick on the diamond (like water spots).

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
so beautiful ! mind if i ask where it came from?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is beautiful and I like the ring. Congratulations on your engagement.

pom_mom

Rough_Rock
If you loupe it, it’s still probably filthy. Do the magnasonic (like 30-40$) with HOT water and Mr. Clean citrus. Rinse and blow dry with canned air or a blow dryer. I use filtered water so mineral deposits from tap water don’t stick on the diamond (like water spots).

I like the idea with the filtered water, never thought about water spots. Also the hot water is another great idea, gets all the oils and grime off. I already looked up the magnasonic cleaner and will be ordering very soon. :D

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, not the best picture
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190610073042560.jpg
It’s GORGEOUS! It probably doesn’t sparkle sometimes because diamonds are grime magnets! I have the Magnasonic which I use all the time. I put my diamonds in there when I’m cooking or washing greasy dirty dishes. I won’t even turn it on. I leave cleaner in there and take them out when I’m done cleaning up. I run the rings under hot water...dry them with a paper towel and I’m good to go. If it’s important for them to be their sparkliest I run it through the Magnasonic..dry with a paper towel..and then blow it dry with a blow dryer. That’s rare..I mostly run it through..dry off with the paper towel and pop them on. Enjoy your beautiful ring..It’s so pretty. He did good!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @junebug17 =)2 I'll try to take more pics and post later. I just think the stone might be a tad bit shallow. I will try to relax and enjoy my new ring. :D
Just reading your post. Your ring is GORGEOUS! You think your ring may be a tad shallow... well, mine is a tad deep lol! I do think there IS some truth to the GIA position that there are many combinations of proportions that can create a beautiful diamond. Congratulations on your engagement!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second @whitewave's suggestion of one part Mr. Clean citrus (no-ammonia) and three parts warm water. Soak about 20-30 minutes. Your already gorgeous ring will sparkle like mad!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
re. water spots, a rinse with alcohol drives away water before it dries out leaving marks behind, since alcohol evaporates easily so no need for drying with anything.

ASET?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You are putting Mr. Clean in the magnasonic?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results