shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyers remorse :(((

MrsCWantsAnUprgade

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
19
I should have known better. My husband and I upgraded my diamond a few years ago. I just looked at the paperwork and I have an I, VS2, 1.5 ct. We paid $7800. I have no idea about the cut. I am SUCH a bargain shopper, but I just got caught up in the moment. The stone looked great, so we bought it that day. The seller does have a trade in policy that will give us 100% credit toward a new diamond, but I just feel sick over spending all of that money and not being happy. Our appraisal paperwork says that it is worth $18,000. Is there anyway to know if I got a descent deal or if I totally wasted my money?

On a separate note- I am not a "trade" person as my profile indicates. How can I change that?
 

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
3,525
What lab graded the diamond?
 

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
2,334
Why are you not happy with your diamond?

What is it certified? Ie, AGS, GIA, EGL?

If you can post the grade report or a link to it we can tell you about the cut of the diamond. We would need that information to tell you if you overpaid.

If you love your diamond, but overpaid a little bit, then I don't think there is much harm done.
 

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
2,334
You can get it independently appraised and/or send it to GIA to be graded if you're really firm on knowing.

I'm just wondering why after 2 years you are not happy with it?
 

MrsCWantsAnUprgade

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
19
I've never really been happy with it. I liked it in the store, but that's when it ended. It looks good under normal lighting, but not in the sun. I can really see the warmth of the "I" color. I'll just have to tolerate it for now. The only thing that the appraisal says is "Ladies' 14 kt. white gold diamond ring containing 1 round brilliant weighing approximately 1.50 carats. I color VS2 clarity fine make." It also says at the top of the form that this is the current retail value.

Any suggestions on what I could do? Should I sell it outright? Trade it in to a seller that I don't trust? How much do you think that I over paid by?
 

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
2,334
Well I think you have a couple of options. One, you could sell it yourself, but you will absolutely need to get it graded by a reputable lab. That would be either GIA or AGS. You can send it in and pay for it to be graded. That's the only way to know it's value and thus how to price it. You will be lucky to get 70% of it's current selling price and that's based on comparables, not what you paid for it. Second option, you could trade it in. Only problem is, it doesn't sound like you'll truly know what you're getting if the jeweler grades his own diamonds. Will they pay for a diamond to be graded if you're interested in it? Or you can send the diamond to an independent appraiser to value it and you will have a good idea of how well it's cut, if the price is fair, etc. The other issue is trust. If you don't trust the jeweler, then it's kind of hard to continue to do business with him/her. Does the jeweler carry GIA or AGS graded diamonds? If so, you can probably find something nice with the help of people on PS. One caveat to be aware of. You will probably want to make sure that the new diamond is not over priced. In that scenario the vendor gives you full price paid for old diamond towards a new one, but hikes up the price of new diamond, so you are not really at any savings.
 

MrsCWantsAnUprgade

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
19
I will be much more careful this time. As I lay here looking at my diamond, it's pretty. It's just not the show-shopper that I thought my "forever ring" would be. Thinking that I over-paid, is just eating at me.
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,929
Just so you know... most diamonds don't perform well in direct sunlight. Some even go dark - prompting some very concerned posts here on PS. ;-) The best way to view your diamonds outdoors is in dappled sunlight. The color is a whole different question however. I wouldn't mind an "I" diamond but there are others here who are more sensitive to color, and would consider that unacceptable for an major piece of jewelry. The bigger question whether the jeweler's characterization of the color is correct, and that would require a trip to a trusted independent appraiser, or having the diamond removed from its setting and sending it to GIA or AGS for certification. Once you have an expert appraisal or certification, you'll be in a better position to figure out your next step.
 
Q

Queenie60

Guest
Sounds like you made a mistake - we all do that at some time??? You need to just accept the fact that you purchased something that you do not like and take the loss. Get rid of the diamond, trade it in or just keep it and get something that you like. Learn from your mistake and next time, research and make an informed decision. Sorry, hope this is the first and last time this happens to you. Wish you well and hope that you find something that meets your fancy. :appl:
 

MrsCWantsAnUprgade

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
19
I'll take a look at it again tomorrow in the shade outside. It didn't bother my extremely bad until I saw it under the lights of a jewelry store last weekend. I was there to look at other settings, but I just couldn't take the look of my diamond. Honestly, I would probably be fine with my current diamond if it cost $4k. It's the over paying that kills me :/. The sellers diamonds are not certified and I do not have the option of purchasing another large diamond until I sell/trade this one. Therefore, I'll have to either sell this diamond outright after getting it appraised, or trade in with the same seller. Because his diamonds are not certified, I'll have to send them to get graded which I'll have to pay for. I wish that I could rent an expert pricescoper to go with me to his store :).

I'm confused by the $18K appraisal amount too. Is this just for insurance purposes?
 

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
2,968
Was this purchase before you joined PS? You joined in 2010. That's a long ago.
Anyways, I know it sucks when you buy something, and later find out there were better options.

Sometimes not knowing is better than knowing.
My mom is so proud of her 1.5 G VS1 VERY GOOD CUT. She is happy with it; I tell her it's a beautiful stone.
There are millions (if not billions???) of people who are like my mom.

At least, you know what to look for next time.
 

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
2,334
I'm sorry you're feeling so bad about your diamond, it's not a fun place to be. Really most of us have overpaid in some form or another, whether it's buying something that's never worn, had a custom piece go terribly wrong, sold a piece at a loss, etc. We all make decisions we question later, so try not to feel too terrible. If you do sell it, try not to focus on the money, rather focus on the new very sparkly and special diamond you'll get. And how much wiser you'll be in that process! :))
 

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
3,525
MrsCWantsAnUprgade|1447572343|3949850 said:
I'll take a look at it again tomorrow in the shade outside. It didn't bother my extremely bad until I saw it under the lights of a jewelry store last weekend. I was there to look at other settings, but I just couldn't take the look of my diamond. Honestly, I would probably be fine with my current diamond if it cost $4k. It's the over paying that kills me :/. The sellers diamonds are not certified and I do not have the option of purchasing another large diamond until I sell/trade this one. Therefore, I'll have to either sell this diamond outright after getting it appraised, or trade in with the same seller. Because his diamonds are not certified, I'll have to send them to get graded which I'll have to pay for. I wish that I could rent an expert pricescoper to go with me to his store :).

I'm confused by the $18K appraisal amount too. Is this just for insurance purposes?

Another option you might consider is to get it recut.

But consider this, the lights in the jewelry store are deigned to make THEIR stones look good, not yours. My own super-ideal cut stones look like crap at the maul jewelry stores.
 

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Oct 13, 2011
Messages
380
On your other post you mention you have a 1.5 J SI2 - have you had it appraised elsewhere at some stage?
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
33,852
MrsCWantsAnUprgade|1447572343|3949850 said:
I'll take a look at it again tomorrow in the shade outside. It didn't bother my extremely bad until I saw it under the lights of a jewelry store last weekend. I was there to look at other settings, but I just couldn't take the look of my diamond. Honestly, I would probably be fine with my current diamond if it cost $4k. It's the over paying that kills me :/. The sellers diamonds are not certified and I do not have the option of purchasing another large diamond until I sell/trade this one. Therefore, I'll have to either sell this diamond outright after getting it appraised, or trade in with the same seller. Because his diamonds are not certified, I'll have to send them to get graded which I'll have to pay for. I wish that I could rent an expert pricescoper to go with me to his store :).

I'm confused by the $18K appraisal amount too. Is this just for insurance purposes?
Just to make his customer feel good about the purchase.
 

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
9,766
The main problem is when the jeweller themselves gives you a certificate expect them to lie. An "I" is probably EGL graded or just completely misgraded and a few shades lower in colour and a few worse in clarity than whatever they claim. This could in part explain why its so tinted.
 

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,246
I would consider a re-cut in this situation. I think you would have an outstandingly beautiful stone and probably the slight tint you see would no longer be visible.
Please don't beat yourself up. It's not uncommon to lose $$ while getting a diamond education. Think of it as bling-college tuition. At least you know now what you want.
 

MrsCWantsAnUprgade

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
19
A re-cut is a great idea. I could keep my stone and end up happier. Though I joined PS in 2010, I was never really an active member or utilized the education available on the site. Big mistake. When I look at my stone, it looks like a J Si2 instead of the I VS2 that it's graded at, but clearly, I'm not the most informed.

If I do decide to get rid of the stone altogether, by upgrading at the same jeweler, would it help if I purchased an ideal scope to bring with me? I'll also utilize the education resources on this site, of course.
 

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
14,357
Yes, an idealscope is always helpful in determining the cut of a stone. The problem is that the jeweler - same one selling it to you- says it is an I color, VS clarity. You have no idea what it really is and this would be the problem next time if you upgraded with him if he has no certified stones.

I feel for you and am sorry you are in this pickle. Are there any other jewelers near you that sell certified stones? They might take your stone in trade for a lot less than you paid for it but it would be something toward a new stone. At least you would know exactly what you have the next time. Depending on the cut of the stone, you might lose quite a bit of weight with a recut although it wouldn't hurt to get it evaluated for a recut.

Don't be too hard on yourself - many have made bad purchases from just not knowing. It's just one of those things that you chalk up t experience and move on. Don't stay rooted in a bad choice - you can successfully move on from here!
 

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
6,005
MrsCWantsAnUprgade|1447572343|3949850 said:
I'll take a look at it again tomorrow in the shade outside. It didn't bother my extremely bad until I saw it under the lights of a jewelry store last weekend. I was there to look at other settings, but I just couldn't take the look of my diamond.

When was the last time you cleaned your diamond before you were in the jewelry store?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
58,345
Do not under any circumstances trade up with the same jeweler. One mistake is enough. If you couldn't trust him then, you can't trust him now. Not to mention you would just overpay again even for a graded diamond. I would set this diamond in a pendant and start over from scratch. Many of us have made this same mistake in the past. Fortunately I came here and started over when looking for an anniversary diamond and my original e-ring sits in a jewelry box.
 

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
7,516
I am going to make a recommendation that you contact a qualified appraiser and have the diamond grades checked by that appraiser. If the appraiser feels that the diamond is misgraded by more than one color and/or clarity grade that you may want to contact the seller and let them know that you are going to have the diamond graded by GIA and that if the GIA grade is more than one color and clarity grade off from the values given by the seller that you will be contacting an attorney for a replacement diamond with a GIA report that matches what they said that they sold you. (Do not settle for one with less than a GIA Excellent cut grade. My feelings about the value of the GIA Excellent cut grade are well known here, they can be wonderful or garbage, but they will at least be better than one with a GIA Very Good rating.)

I do not recommend that you spend a lot of money on an attorney without first playing a little poker with the original vendor, and do understand that you will have a hard time with a chain of custody if it actually came to an attorney. What you are trying to do is to get them to make good on what they sold you and keep away from the court of public opinion that you will raise against them if they do not make good.

Of course, if the diamond turns out to be properly graded, then you will want to consider getting the diamond recut, as you are now a victim of the "It's good enough" cutting that is so prevalent in the diamond world.

Either way, contacting a highly qualified independent is a great way to establish in your mind whether or not you were hoodwinked by a high appraisal into paying too much for a poorly cut diamond, or whether you were sold a diamond that was not as represented.

Wink

P.S. If you were sold a diamond that was represented as being especially well cut, then I would ask for an AGSL report. Your qualified INDEPENDENT appraiser can tell you whether or not you need a report that gives the best cut grade analysis or just an accurate color and clarity report.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
25,414
MrsCWantsAnUprgade|1447596876|3949916 said:
A re-cut is a great idea. I could keep my stone and end up happier. Though I joined PS in 2010, I was never really an active member or utilized the education available on the site. Big mistake. When I look at my stone, it looks like a J Si2 instead of the I VS2 that it's graded at, but clearly, I'm not the most informed.

If I do decide to get rid of the stone altogether, by upgrading at the same jeweler, would it help if I purchased an ideal scope to bring with me? I'll also utilize the education resources on this site, of course.

Just be aware that not all stones are good candidates for re-cuts. Stones with a lot of inclusions may not be good for re-cuts.
You can contact Brian Gavin Diamonds and see what you need to do to have it evaluated.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
You received good advice - get it properly appraised to GIA standards than you will know the true grade of your stone.

If it is as you say, then your price is just fine. I suspect it is not and probably 2-4 grades lower in color and clarity. Then you probably should be paying 4-6K?
 

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 10, 2015
Messages
563
Wink|1447604768|3949939 said:
I am going to make a recommendation that you contact a qualified appraiser and have the diamond grades checked by that appraiser. If the appraiser feels that the diamond is misgraded by more than one color and/or clarity grade that you may want to contact the seller and let them know that you are going to have the diamond graded by GIA and that if the GIA grade is more than one color and clarity grade off from the values given by the seller that you will be contacting an attorney for a replacement diamond with a GIA report that matches what they said that they sold you. (Do not settle for one with less than a GIA Excellent cut grade. My feelings about the value of the GIA Excellent cut grade are well known here, they can be wonderful or garbage, but they will at least be better than one with a GIA Very Good rating.)

I do not recommend that you spend a lot of money on an attorney without first playing a little poker with the original vendor, and do understand that you will have a hard time with a chain of custody if it actually came to an attorney. What you are trying to do is to get them to make good on what they sold you and keep away from the court of public opinion that you will raise against them if they do not make good.

Of course, if the diamond turns out to be properly graded, then you will want to consider getting the diamond recut, as you are now a victim of the "It's good enough" cutting that is so prevalent in the diamond world.

Either way, contacting a highly qualified independent is a great way to establish in your mind whether or not you were hoodwinked by a high appraisal into paying too much for a poorly cut diamond, or whether you were sold a diamond that was not as represented.

Wink

P.S. If you were sold a diamond that was represented as being especially well cut, then I would ask for an AGSL report. Your qualified INDEPENDENT appraiser can tell you whether or not you need a report that gives the best cut grade analysis or just an accurate color and clarity report.

If they made no references to GIA then how can you expect them to abide by GIA's grading standards and not that of another? Is GIA really the defacto in the industry? Why couldn't they just obtain a EGL or some smaller even less reputable lab who certs it as they stated? Would it even qualify as misrepresentation if they never stated by who's system it is?


As to the OP that diamond isn't of the best cut. It's not horrendous by any means but it might be worth having AGS or GIA graded it and then having it sent in for a recut.
 

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
989
You'd have to compare value as-is (1.5ct weight) vs. value of the stone after the recut (lower ct. weight.) Inclusions (type and location) and also the proportion of the diamond affect whether or not it *can* be safely recut, and also whether or not there will be a substantial weight loss. If your stone is 1.5ct, that's a weigh that that many upgraders seek, and many of them won't be demanding top light performance, they just go for size. A deep diamond might lose a lot of weight from the pavilion. One with a shallow crown angle and huge table may lose too much weight if you try to remodel it to completely different modern proportions of small table + steeper crown, with complimentary crown & pavillion angles for superb light performance. Brian Gavin evaluates the diamond, and he provides a "before" and an estimated "after" so you can decide.
 

MrsCWantsAnUprgade

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
19
I feel like I have better options now that I chatted with all of you. Thank you all for not making me feel worse than I already did. It is a beautiful ring, just not my 'forever' ring. I am just going to make sure that I keep it sparkly clean because I feel better about it when it's shiny. I'll start saving up for whatever comes next and I'll start using the great learning tools that are provided on this site.

Solgen used the term "OP". What does that mean?
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
    Gifting With Whiteflash
    Gifting With Whiteflash - 10/01
    Did You See September 2022's Jewels Of The Weeks?
    Did You See September 2022's Jewels Of The Weeks? - 09/30
    Did You See September's Throwbacks?
    Did You See September's Throwbacks? - 09/29
Top