shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyer's remorse - Did I buy a bad diamond?

misticocean

Rough_Rock
Dear all

I am planning to propose to my girlfriend shortly (indeed all this COVID-19 stuff makes you think...). As you can imagine, I am new to the diamond world and have spent many hours trying to understand how to select a good diamond. But after looking at hundreds of diamonds on Blue Nile, I settled for this one on a 6-prong Platinum classic ring -

Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 34.0
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Depth: 60.2%

However, upon further research online (after buying the ring!), it seems like the specifications are not particularly desirable. For instance, the crown angle and pavilion angle are not particularly good for sparkle. From previous discussions with my girlfriend, having a sparkly and non-yellow diamond is more important to her than carat size.

Now, the question is: should I cancel the order and choose another diamond?

Maybe I have gone over-board with my reading and that the diamond is fine. Of course, I would appreciate all your experience/feedback.

Many thanks in advance.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
do you have the full certificate to share here? did you run the numbers through the hca tool on the site? i think bluenile has a return window so you still have time to decide.

btw, i think proposing during covid is a perfect timing and an awesome idea! if you guys can go through covid together,,, then you guys can weather all the storms in future together!!!! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It scores a .7 on the HCA (which checks whether angles play "nicely" together). Any score under 2 means that the angles work together and overall means you chose a stone with a lot of potential.

I personally think you could have dropped in clarity to get a bigger stone, but you certainly didnt make a bad purchase. I think she will love it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Lovesdogs said, I think you did a great job and a G color will be white. The only thing would have been to drop clarity to vs2 or si1 to get a larger size, but we are in the USA where bigger is better lol.

Plus, she might have size 4 fingers, in which case a .56 will be gorgeous on her finger. I have size 7.25 finger and I wore a .56 for a year as a solitaire before I made it a side stone in a 3 stone ring, and it was not small at all on the finger.

I think you did a great job.

misticocean

Rough_Rock
do you have the full certificate to share here? did you run the numbers through the hca tool on the site? i think bluenile has a return window so you still have time to decide.

btw, i think proposing during covid is a perfect timing and an awesome idea! if you guys can go through covid together,,, then you guys can weather all the storms in future together!!!! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Thank you stonehunter20! I don’t have the full certificate only the GIA report from the Blue Nile website.

Let’s hope that’s the case - I hope the engagement ring won’t cause any turbulence!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you stonehunter20! I don’t have the full certificate only the GIA report from the Blue Nile website.

Let’s hope that’s the case - I hope the engagement ring won’t cause any turbulence!

Congratulations on your upcoming proposal! I am sure that your future fiancée will love and appreciate the ring!

misticocean

Rough_Rock
It scores a .7 on the HCA (which checks whether angles play "nicely" together). Any score under 2 means that the angles work together and overall means you chose a stone with a lot of potential.

I personally think you could have dropped in clarity to get a bigger stone, but you certainly didnt make a bad purchase. I think she will love it!

Thank you lovedogs! That’s reassuring! I hope the finished product will come out great and she will enjoy wearing the ring for a lifetime.

misticocean

Rough_Rock
Like Lovesdogs said, I think you did a great job and a G color will be white. The only thing would have been to drop clarity to vs2 or si1 to get a larger size, but we are in the USA where bigger is better lol.

Plus, she might have size 4 fingers, in which case a .56 will be gorgeous on her finger. I have size 7.25 finger and I wore a .56 for a year as a solitaire before I made it a side stone in a 3 stone ring, and it was not small at all on the finger.

I think you did a great job.

Thanks Whitewave! Your three stone ring sounds like a great idea - you’re putting too many ideas into my mind! She is a size 5 so I hope the diamond won’t appear too small on her finger - eek! :)

misticocean

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming proposal! I am sure that your future fiancée will love and appreciate the ring!

Thank you Musia! The pressure of choosing the correct ring, correct diamond and correct price point are all so difficult. I just hope she likes it!

ls430FL

Rough_Rock
I think it's a very nice stone and I am sure she will love whatever you get her. My only question goes along with what others have said. Has she ever talked with you about size? You probably could sacrifice a little in the clarity department to get a little bigger stone if you or her wanted. Regardless, it's beautiful.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you did great! My diamond has similar specs (granted, similar doesn’t mean equal and in the GIA world, with rounding and averaging, equal doesn’t necessarily mean equal), but you are well within ideal specs (or very close) that you got a very nice diamond! Especially if you are in the UK, which I assume based on the link. Congrats!

ETA: Amd the video looks very good too. For no research and not being as super ideal, I like it.

misticocean

Rough_Rock
I think it's a very nice stone and I am sure she will love whatever you get her. My only question goes along with what others have said. Has she ever talked with you about size? You probably could sacrifice a little in the clarity department to get a little bigger stone if you or her wanted. Regardless, it's beautiful.

Thanks Is430FL! That’s reassuring indeed. She has mentioned about size - she has small fingers (size 5) so she does not want a big diamond. She wants a diamond which sparkly :) I hope this one cuts the mustard!

misticocean

Rough_Rock
I think you did great! My diamond has similar specs (granted, similar doesn’t mean equal and in the GIA world, with rounding and averaging, equal doesn’t necessarily mean equal), but you are well within ideal specs (or very close) that you got a very nice diamond! Especially if you are in the UK, which I assume based on the link. Congrats!

ETA: Amd the video looks very good too. For no research and not being as super ideal, I like it.

Thanks Kaycee2018 :) I felt a lot of pressure trying to choose the right diamond. Always mindful that I could have got something better without spending too much. Yes I am based in the UK :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results