shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy this local diamond or order one online

JohnJK

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I have been looking locally for a diamond engagement ring for my current girlfriend and hopefully future fiance. We found a local Jeweler with a diamond that she absolutely loves. It is a 3.02 C, triple excellent, E, SI2 with faint fluorescence. It is very eye clean and even under loops, I can't make out the twining whisps and has a lot of sparkle to it. We really haven't found anything she likes more. My concern is about the SI2 and if the cut could be better. The top pictures from inside the store are shown in her desired setting. Here are some pictures (that I took from a video) that I zoomed in on:

20220410_164423000_iOS.jpg 20220410_164452000_iOS.jpg 20220410_164604000_iOS.jpg

Below are photos from outside. In the second photo, it is the diamond on the top.

20220410_041315000_iOS.jpg 20220410_041847000_iOS.jpg

I tried to get a great photo of the cut (arrows in the faccets), but it was not as easy to do by holding her hand.

I have also found a similar diamond online. This diamond is 3.01 C, triple excellent, F, VS2and no fluorescence.

online diamond.png

I ran the HCA on both and the local diamond gets a 3 and looks big, while the one online is 3.4 and looks small for the Carat weight. Do you think I should go with the local diamond that we have seen and really like or go with the one online?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and thoughts on a currently thoroughly confused first-time diamond buyer.

John

Could you provide the grading report and ballpark price for the stone you found and liked?

My personal opinion is always that your eye trumps all tools. If you like how a stone looks/performs (please do check it out in multiple lighting conditions, jewelry store lighting makes everything look amazing) then it doesnt matter what the HCA returns, honestly. Sometimes you just like what you like!

However, if you would like to see some comps online, it would be helpful to have a budget and grading report to work with, to find you the best comparable options online.

JohnJK

Rough_Rock
Do you want the full grading report?

I thought the above was enough, but for more detail:
Carat 3.02
Color: E
Clarity SI2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 9.28 x 9.33 x 5.68 mm

Table: 59%
Facet: 4.0%
Depth: 61%
Crown Angle: 32.5%
Pavillion Angle: 41.1%

Current Price: ~$68,000

Carat 3.02
Clarity SI2

Well, if you would attach the clarity plot plus comments if any (e.g. clarity grade based on xxx not shown, additional xxx not shown) it helps determine if there's any "bad SI2" problems which would rule out the stone, e.g. extensive clouds, feathers near the girdle etc.

As for the proportions themselves, even though it got a 3 on the HCA, I think 32.5/41.1 work well together - though it's quite a shallow crown, the steeper pav makes up for it. It's predisposed towards greater brilliance/white light return as opposed to Tolk proportions, but that can look very nice if the angles work well together. I personally like that look. The 59 table is probably a little large for folks on here, most people like small tables, but the larger table probably makes it look "bigger" - large tables work well with brilliance-geared stones. It's like that 60-60 type of look. I think this combo of angles + table would also probably score AGS 0.

Let me write back with comps if I find any good ones. I will restrict colour to DEF.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock

Carat 3.02
Clarity SI2

For only a little bit more money you could get a super ideal cut stone with guaranteed light performance and a great upgrade program in case you think that might be wanted in the future. It is a G instead of an F, but also slightly bigger. If I were spending that kind of money I'd want to get the best possible cut, but I understand that seeing stones in person can be very important. Others will comment on the cut parameters.

I would suggest you use the Pricescope search to find more options to explore. I restricted the (pretax) price to 68000, DEF, FL to SI2, HCA Ex, AGS0, GIA 3Ex, Med Fluoro and found over a hundred stones to choose from. The largest stone I saw was a 3.5 on James Allen, all Ex for HCA, 9.9mm in size, E SI2. The clarity looked terrifying on the screen (lots of black specs), so you’ll need to verify if it actually would be eyeclean. If you restrict it to SI1, you still have around 25+ options to choose from.

The Whiteflash stone is going to be an incredibly tightly cut example of the idealised Tolk proportions by the way, which are general crowd pleasers. But the performance will likely be different from the stone you saw in person. No one but you can tell whether you’ll like it better or not.

JohnJK

Rough_Rock
GIA.PNG

I’m not that well versed with diamond clarity, but the only thing I’d be concerned about is having a large indented natural so close to the girdle… not sure if that might prove to be detrimental in nature (makes the diamond weaker or not. I know small indented naturals don’t, but this is rather large). No clouds is a huge plus! If you can’t pick out the twinning wisps in real life it’s all good, I think.

Whether there is a better buy / more value for money out there is something you have to decide based on the info you can gather from the PS search for example.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Are you planning to bezel the stone? If not, I would be concerned about the indent.

You have a good budget. In an ideal world, it would be great if you could find an F/ SI1.

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
John, you might do better for less. Have a look at these choices from Blue Nile:

JohnJK

Rough_Rock
Are you planning to bezel the stone?

No plan to bezel the stone. The indent definitely isn't noticeable to me and I was planning to have the prong over it.

In an ideal world, it would be great if you could find an F/ SI1.

Agreed, that is exactly what I am looking for. I have managed to find some stuff online, but under magnification, the dark inclusions and crystals in the tab really scare me off. There also appear to be lots with clouds in the table.

John, you might do better for less. Have a look at these choices from Blue Nile:

Ss52: Thanks for the link, unfortunately, it didn't work. Can you link me to the choices directly if you still have them?

JohnJK

Rough_Rock
For only a little bit more money you could get a super ideal cut stone with guaranteed light performance and a great upgrade program in case you think that might be wanted in the future. It is a G instead of an F, but also slightly bigger. If I were spending that kind of money I'd want to get the best possible cut, but I understand that seeing stones in person can be very important. Others will comment on the cut parameters.

That one looks gorgeous. Definitely prefer the cut.

However, this brings me back to the central question, can you really trust what you see online vs what you see in person? To me the one you linked has an incredible cut, similar to the one I posted, just worried that in person it will be underwhelming. Any thoughts from those who have purchased online?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

However, this brings me back to the central question, can you really trust what you see online vs what you see in person? To me the one you linked has an incredible cut, similar to the one I posted, just worried that in person it will be underwhelming. Any thoughts from those who have purchased online?

Whiteflash is upper echelon in terms of cut and light performance. They prove it with all the advanced images provided. If any diamond they get from their custom cutter is out of ACA spec by even the slightest of margin, then it gets downgraded to their Expert Selection line.
Still amazing diamonds and can represent a great value compared to a majority of run of the mill GIA 3X diamonds, but not the extreme level of cut quality and characteristics that their ACA line must meet.
ACA is the easy button of MRB buying.

EClove

Shiny_Rock

I personally haven’t purchased from whiteflash but I’ve read enough posts here to know how much people love working with them and how happy their are with their diamonds. Search ACA in this forum and you can see some photos of examples!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
You won't find any duds among the Whiteflash ACA selection. @DejaWiz is right - buying an ACA is pushing the Easy button to buy a great diamond. And they have a great upgrade policy as well as a return policy. If you have the budget to get an ACA, I suggest buying one and checking it out in person. If you still like the one you saw in the local store better you can return the ACA.

I updated from a 1.33 I SI1 stone purchased from a local jeweler (although the specs would indicate it is nowhere near as nicely cut as your local stone) to a 1.45 H SI1 ACA from Whiteflash last summer. The difference in light performance is astounding. I still admire my diamond multiple times a day.

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
No plan to bezel the stone. The indent definitely isn't noticeable to me and I was planning to have the prong over it.

Agreed, that is exactly what I am looking for. I have managed to find some stuff online, but under magnification, the dark inclusions and crystals in the tab really scare me off. There also appear to be lots with clouds in the table.

Ss52: Thanks for the link, unfortunately, it didn't work. Can you link me to the choices directly if you still have them?

JohnJK

Rough_Rock
If this doesn’t work, I’ll try another way.

Still no luck. It is linked to your saved list via local cookies and identifiers. I think the only way to send is to post a link for each diamond.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock

Here is a thread of ACAs from various PSers.

Agree with all comments above. I have had two ACA diamonds and both were/are stunning.

Also, Brian Gavin Diamonds is another super ideal vendor just fyi to give you more options.

ETA: My engagement ring setting (which is basically the same as what your partner likes) and wedding band were also custom made by Whiteflash and they did an awesome job.

Attachments

• 8D5AF85F-980A-43CD-BE81-492B726EBD67.jpeg
    8D5AF85F-980A-43CD-BE81-492B726EBD67.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

JohnJK

Rough_Rock
Just bumping this up to hear some more thoughts as I move to a final choice this week.

The local shop has come down in price to $65K for the diamond.

The diamond from Whiteflash is $71K.

My gf really loves the diamond locally, because of the colorless quality (E) and contrast (dark and light areas) seen in the diamond. I feel like this diamond is largely rated SI2 due to the natural ident and is otherwise much better than VS2s I have seen online, based purely on the report. Also, for the price, I can definitely find 3.0 C E SI2 diamonds for around 55K, but they definitely don't look as good on paper.

Any thoughts as I make a final decision later this week? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to make the best decision possible as I finally make the plunge.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Just bumping this up to hear some more thoughts as I move to a final choice this week.

The local shop has come down in price to $65K for the diamond.

The diamond from Whiteflash is $71K.

My gf really loves the diamond locally, because of the colorless quality (E) and contrast (dark and light areas) seen in the diamond. I feel like this diamond is largely rated SI2 due to the natural ident and is otherwise much better than VS2s I have seen online, based purely on the report. Also, for the price, I can definitely find 3.0 C E SI2 diamonds for around 55K, but they definitely don't look as good on paper.

Any thoughts as I make a final decision later this week? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to make the best decision possible as I finally make the plunge.

My advice: start contact numerous jewelers in your vicinity and ask if they have any 2.8+ carat AGS Triple Zero D-H SI1 or better diamonds on hand so you can get a visual comparison to what an AGS000 does for optical performance.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
E/SI2 has a huge needle right on the table.

If you have any inkling that your future fiancee' will want to upgrade in the future, this is a big red flag. I'm not saying that you have to buy from Whiteflash, but I feel like you would have a hard time getting your money out of this diamond. For a diamond of this size and with your budget, I would really recommend you go no lower than an eye clean SI1. Personally, F/VS2 is a sweet spot for me. If you put an E next to an F, I think it would be difficult for your FF to see the difference-both are colorless. Additionally, a super ideal will appear brighter edge to edge.

If you are really comfortable with an SI2, maybe you should consider this F/SI2 AGS O from Whiteflash and save yourself $15K.

Needle​

A fine, elongated inclusion that is enclosed within a diamond that looks like a tiny rod under 10x magnification. Needles are general more subdued than crystals or feathers.

Needle symbol on a plotting diagram.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh I should have posted a link to this video for you earlier...Gia Triple X compared with a Super Ideal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results