Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Buy Diamond Now or Later? Help decide on this rock.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marv117

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
73
With the rumors of price hikes of 4-5% within the next year I am deciding whether to buy the diamond now instead of next year.

I did some shopping around and found these:

1. eye-clean round h&a form superbcert... 1.21 I SI1 H&A Eye Clean $5,454.68

2. round eye-clean? from dirtcheapdiamonds... 1.24 H SI1 $5,245.00

Should I buy now or later and are these good rocks? For a couple of hundreds dolllars more and not too much difference in dimensions go with H&A, right?

Please advice.
 

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
2,324

----------------
On 6/22/2003 9:51:54 AM marv117 wrote:
With the rumors of price hikes of 4-5% within the next year I am deciding whether to buy the diamond now instead of next year.

I did some shopping around and found these:

1. eye-clean round h&a form superbcert... 1.21 I SI1 H&A Eye Clean $5,454.68

2. round eye-clean? from dirtcheapdiamonds... 1.24 H SI1 $5,245.00

Should I buy now or later and are these good rocks? For a couple of hundreds dolllars more and not too much difference in dimensions go with H&A, right?


Please advice.----------------
Hey Marv117-Between the 2 stones I would go with the most information available between the 2. SuperBcert offers more comprehensive data on 1 of the stones in your selection.

I looked at your superbcert stone and the 5 B-scope light views are amazing. I then went to the Megascope data and between all the angles there is no variance greater than .4. Precisely cut and a very tight stone indeed and will be a sure performer.

What do you know about the 2nd stone besides it being labeled the "Best-Cut". Your SuperbCert is a branded Hearts & Arrows Diamond, but with you 2nd choice I do not see any reference to a Hearts & Arrows image the 1.24 H stone might have. Ask for pictures and Complete Sarin on this stone.

Personally I would go with the SuperBCert. Barry has had alot of satisfied customers and so has Jim Shultz of DCC, but in this case I would go with the availability of data being presented.

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
 

marv117

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
73
I would love to buy from GoodOldGold...their reputation and credibility is great. On top of that, their rocks collection are mostly really great. But for the most part, their "For Sale" section doesn't fit my budget. I really want to stay within the 1.20ct and around $5000 range and atleast eye-clean.
 

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 8, 2003
Messages
652
Have you tried e-mailing Jonathan at Good Old Gold...and telling him what you are looking for...he may be able to find (or have already) what you are looking for...

His info is great...

can't wait to get mine

di
 

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
2,324
----------------
On 6/22/2003 10:48
8 AM marv117 wrote:

I would love to buy from GoodOldGold...their reputation and credibility is great. On top of that, their rocks collection are mostly really great. But for the most part, their "For Sale" section doesn't fit my budget. I really want to stay within the 1.20ct and around $5000 range and atleast eye-clean.
----------------
Hey Again-

Personally I dealt with Jonathan on my fiancee's engagement diamond. I ended up purchasing from him. I think diane5006's advice is good. Contact Jonathan because he has access to an extended inventory of hearts and Arrows stones which aren't listed on his site, but he can source and do a workup on a certain stone you see listed in the extended Hearts & Arrows inventory link which is on his site. It is a spreadsheet which list all the stones he has availability to. Do a search and list the parameters of your search in the prompt at the beginning of the database and it will list all the stones in the range your looking for. I suggest contacting him directly, because there is no stone in which he can't find for you. Nice guy and super friendly too. Great Reputation. You can view some of the other diamonds he has sold to pricescope customers in the show me the ring Folder in the forum.

-Josh RIoux
Sitka, ALaska
 

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
6,272
Hi Marv,

I too would like to work with you as well.
Drop me an email and I'll let you know what options we have available that'll best suite your needs. I have something in mind for ya that I think you may like.

Kind regards,
Rhino
 

marv117

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
73
Thanks everyone for replying and for the advice.

Rhino: I was hoping to get your attention on this post :D. I ran into your inventory page on your site which I've never visited before and found this one: 1.213 I SI1 6.93-6.94*4.21

I would love to work with you on purchasing a diamond.

However, I still would like to know more about this price hike rumor. I would rather wait it out a few months if I have the choice.
 

marv117

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
73
I just thought of something...I know on some online vendors I don't have to pay tax...

Rhino: would I have to pay tax if I bought from you?


Thanks.
 

69gm

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2003
Messages
287
you only pay tax if you purchase from someone in your own state...except niceice.com from oregon simply because oregon has no sales tax.

so jonathan would have to charge you tax if you live in his neck of the woods.

of course talking to him directly will get you the best "out-the-door" price. accept his kind invite and deal with him directly. you won't go wrong.
 

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
7,828
----------------
On 6/22/2003 5:13:33 PM marv117 wrote:


However, I still would like to know more about this price hike rumor. I would rather wait it out a few months if I have the choice.
----------------
To answer your original question, if you are not ready to become engaged do not buy a diamond. I don't have a crystal ball into rising diamond prices nor into your relationship. But, what if neither happens? Just being practical here.
 

marv117

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
73
----------------
On 6/23/2003 8:36:15 AM fire&ice wrote:

To answer your original question, if you are not ready to become engaged do not buy a diamond. I don't have a crystal ball into rising diamond prices nor into your relationship. But, what if neither happens? Just being practical here.

----------------
Fire&Ice: thanks for the advice but I was refering more to financially, not about commitment/relationship.


I am more than ready to commit and be engaged and so does my girlfriend. I'm a little insulted that you would say that but then again I guess your just being concerned. Thanks for being thoughtfull.

The reason for the price-hike question is because of this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/debeers-did-indeed-raise-the-price-of-rough.7259/
 

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
7,828
----------------
On 6/22/2003 9:51:54 AM marv117 wrote:

With the rumors of price hikes of 4-5% within the next year I am deciding whether to buy the diamond now instead of next year.

Please advice.
----------------
You mentioned only that you were buying next year. Sorry if I did not read into this that it was for financial reasons that you wanted to wait. By all means, if you are ready then buy now.

You asked for advice. I gave you practical advice. I am well aware of the chat on PS about diamond rough prices being raised. Although a very controlled one, diamonds are a commodity based on the law of supply (somewhat controlled) & demand (not controlled). I don't think anyone can definitively give you an answer.

Also being practical, say you have to take out a loan to presently purchase the diamond. Your interest will probably be equal to a price hike of 5-10%. Not knowing what you financial situation is - you could also be losing opportunity cost or a great interest rate on a house. You have to weigh "how much is that 5% extra *truly* going to cost me?" *if* the price hike indeed occurs.

All that being said, if you are ready to commit and have the money in hand then go for it. If not, IMHO, I wouldn't rush it. Only you can decide what is right for you.

Good luck. I am only trying to give you a mature prospective - not make commentary on your relationship. I wasn't being flipant - just practical.
 

marv117

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
73
----------------
On 6/23/2003 12
8:35 PM fire&ice wrote:

All that being said, if you are ready to commit and have the money in hand then go for it. If not, IMHO, I wouldn't rush it. Only you can decide what is right for you.

Good luck. I am only trying to give you a mature prospective - not make commentary on your relationship. I wasn't being flipant - just practical.
----------------
Fire&Ice:
I didn't mean to sound rude or sarcastic on my previous post...If I did I apologize. As for the price hike I actually did some math this weekend, which I should've done in the first place, and 4-5% increase would be around $300-500 which is not really that significant since we're talking about prices in the thousands. Nevertheless, it's still $300-500 which can be used for the setting and other things I'd like to buy.

I think I'm gonna take the risk and wait it out till the end of the year or early next year. In the mean time, I'll keep an eye on the diamond market and see how the prices change.

Thanks again Fire&Ice...your advice will be taken into consideration.
 

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
31,003
Diane I LOVE your ring (or ring to be from the look of the stones)...what cut is the middle diamond? Sorry if this is redundant, I have been swamped lately and not able to check the forums as much...so maybe I missed the post where you talked about your stones...


PS sorry marv for hijacking!
 

marv117

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
73
----------------
On 6/23/2003 3
9:38 PM Mara wrote:

Diane I LOVE your ring (or ring to be from the look of the stones)...what cut is the middle diamond? Sorry if this is redundant, I have been swamped lately and not able to check the forums as much...so maybe I missed the post where you talked about your stones...


PS sorry marv for hijacking!

----------------
Who's Diane???


UPDATE: Nevermind...i see who is...please disregard
 

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 8, 2003
Messages
652
Hi Mara ...

Not the best pic in the avatar...the center stone is a .90 D VVS2 REGENT...from GOG...We took that pic while visiting GOG a few weeks ago...Jonathan had to use his camera because my BF wouldn't work...the brilliance was too much
for it hee hee...

I love the look of the Regent...I am going to have it set in the Vatche 3 stone truffle...with 2 sapphire as the side stones...the one in the pic are the same size...but they were going to get a better matche pair...

MARV best of luck in you in your search...
 

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
7,828
Marv, if I may play the devil's advocate, sometimes that little push (pending? price hike) may make you men "commit" (oh my gosh!)
 

marv117

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
73
----------------
On 6/23/2003 6:31:46 PM fire&ice wrote:

Marv, if I may play the devil's advocate, sometimes that little push (pending? price hike) may make you men "commit" (oh my gosh!)

----------------
hahahah funny observation.
Men may be "forced" to buy, or as you put it, "commit" sooner than expected. However, on the flip-side, it can also be discouraging.


I'm on the optimistic side though...I can't wait to get engaged and express my commitment through a beautiful symbol we call an engagement ring.
 
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Wanderlust Woes
    Wanderlust Woes
    Radiant Ruby Cluster Ring
    Radiant Ruby Cluster Ring
    Recutting And Resetting A Heirloom
    Recutting And Resetting A Heirloom

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top