shape
carat
color
clarity

buy a marcasite ring to use as setting for gem?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heron

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I was thinking about buying a 5mm round gemstone, but when I looked at stuller and adwar I didn''t see a setting I liked enough to actually buy. However I have seen a few marcasite rings in silver and also some black hills gold rings in silver with 5mm round czs/amethysts etc set in them (also some celtic type rings) that I do like. I was not able to find marcasite settings or silver black hills gold settings. Could I buy a marcasite silver ring or black hills gold silver ring or a celtic silver ring with a 5mm round not-so-nice-stone and have a jeweler remove the stone and set it with a nice gemstone that I buy for it? (I have read that the marcasites are glued on, not sure if the cz/amethysts etc are also glued on. I have seen prong and bezel. I have no idea about the quality of these rings because they are super-cheap but I do like them so cheap is good.

Thank you!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
It depends on how the stone is set, and what quality the setting is. If it''s bezel set, then probably not - your stone would have to be literally identical to the original in size, which is why most bezels are custom made. And if the quality in the metal/durability of the setting is lacking, you really don''t want to put an expensive stone in there.

What setting are you looking at? If you have a picture we can help you decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results