shape
carat
color
clarity

Buh Bye to the Halo?

E-Ring Setting: Halo, Plain Solitaire or Michael B?

• Keep the Halo!

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Go back to the Classic Solitaire!

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Michael B All the Way!

Votes: 21 19.1%

• Total voters

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hello PSers with FABULOUS TASTE and even more fabulous jewelry! :love: The center stone in my halo is loose and I brought it by my bling guru Yekutiel at ID Jewelry for an opinion. He pulls out the most STUNNING Michael B setting I've ever seen and now I want to reset my stone! :love: Oof!

Also, since having a baby, I've really come to the conclusion that my e-ring might be a little too much for a busy mommy. And to be honest, I really crave the simple plat solitaire DH proposed with... I find myself swooning over the simple and traditional e-ring look lately. Is it a phase? Does anyone also go through this waffling?

And will I regret resetting to a plain solitaire? Do you think I'll feel like my center stone got shrunk in the dryer? :naughty: DSS? Any halo owners who went back to the solitaire want to chime in? Please chime in even if you don't have a halo! :appl:

I need to be sure before taking apart a custom platinum halo setting! It has served me so well - is very sturdy and has never given me any issues. It is very heavy and well made. I wear it everywhere, bang it around and definitely do not baby it. Sigh. But with a little one, I find it a little...big and clunky at times. I get so many compliments on it, though - I wonder if I change to a setting everyone has, will I miss the uniqueness of the ring? Then again, I do want something simpler and more sleek. DH recently said he prefers the solitaire look and thinks halos make the diamond look like it's trying too hard to be something it's not. LOL - wish he'd told me years ago when I was resetting!

So...Here's the halo I currently have.

THANK YOU for the help!!!!

BlissRing1.JPG

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Here is the Michael B setting Yekutiel pulled out - love at first sight! :love:

MichaelBLove.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Michael B on the hand... Hubba hubba!

Please excuse the horribly tacky metallic nail polish I swiped on before leaving the house! No more time for manicures with all the poopy diapers! LOL

MichaelB1.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Here's the plain plat solitaire setting DH proposed with... It was a temp Stuller setting that I have since misplaced! Wish I'd kept it!

BlissRing2.JPG

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I voted Michael B. I like that it is different from what so many people are doing right now. That being said, I don't think it will be any less cumbersome when dealing with a child - those prongs look like they could scratch!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Here's a camera phone pic of the halo in "real life" perspective! I snapped this photo to show off the diamond cross I got at ID Jewelry!!! Yekutiel's dad made this masterpiece! :love:

Crossezz.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, sphenequeen!!!!!! You're right... I'll show you a profile pic of the prongs... They are big and "clunky" but for some reason, IRL they are just...beautiful because they go with the width of the ring. Just superior workmanship on the Michael B! SWWOOOOOONNN! The prongs have diamonds in them and they are so pretty in real life. They are all smooth with no sharp edges to scratch baby, but yes - could be cumbersome and I would have to be careful!

I like the Michael B because it has some bling but isn't quite over the top like the halo. Plus, the center stone pops! It's a compromise between the halo and the simple no frills solitaire, I think!

MichaelB3.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aw, I love your halo! I think it has a lot of personality - and you can't knock (har, har) the sturdiness - the Michael B. looks beautiful, but I wonder if what looks to be micro-pave would be quite as sturdy. I say stick with what you have for now, and if you want to reset to something more delicate, perhaps wait until after the poopy diapers stage has passed?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Circe!!!!! Bling sista!!!!!!! Thanks for your words of wisdom!!!!! Ahhhh, that is good advice! The Michael B settings are micro pave but I don't think I'd ever lose a stone due to the craftsmanship. Durrr, I think the setting alone retails for over $10k. I have just been bitten by the solitaire bug. I've helped two of DH's friends choose e-rings (both went to ID Jewelry after checking the other vendors!)...And DH in both cases, when I was helping choose settings, said he was anti-halo upon viewing the choices. I was like, "And you tell me...now?" Just kind of bugs me that when he looks at my ring, he thinks it's a little gaudy! He never said anything to that effect before! He likes the Michael B and the plain solitaire, though!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bliss, reset! Soooo fun! :appl:

I would reset into a Leon or Steven Kirsch delicate halo (which will be much lower set than your current halo), or go with the classic Tiff style solitaire! :naughty: :naughty: I do agree, a classic solitaire is a very sleek look like you said. Then again, that Michael B is really fabulous! Tough choice!

ETA: that diamond cross is stunning!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm all for keeping the halo and here's why: I think the protection a halo offers to your diamond is priceless. I currently have a solitaire and I have already managed to get a teensy tiny chip in the girdle of my stone which I am almost positive happened when pulling wet clothes out of the washing machine. I'm not one to remove my ring during domestic tasks, or while at work, etc., and I would LOVE to halo my stone not because it's en vogue, but because of the girdle protection it would offer. Also, I love the look of your ring...it is absolutely beautiful as is. :wavey:

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh Laila!!!!! New mama!!!!!! Hugs hugs hugs!!!! Thanks for your advice! I don't think I'll ever get another halo (never say never - ha!) but if I did, I wouldn't get one that is more delicate because I like to wear my rings everywhere. Stones popping out at the gym would be my nightmare! Though...I do love those delicate halos! So gorgeous!!! The rugged nature of a simple solitaire appeals to me. I like how it allows the diamond to shine alone. I like how it looks like my original setting - so romantic! But I also love the Michael B! Ahhhh, choices choices!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michael B, please.

admittedly, i'm not a halo fan........

that Michael B just screams buy me and i'm not into colorless diamonds!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Monarch, Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You chipped your fantastic mondo rock??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the words of wisdom! You're right on the protection - when I got the halo, the designer and Mark T at ERD said it was a tank around my stone. (((shudder))) I am so afraid of damaging my stone - it has so much meaning for us! That is scary!!!! :-o BTW, your new rings are TDF!!!!!!! You have a lovely lovely collection!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Movie Zombie....LOL!!!! Don't I know it - that setting is screaming at me from 47th Street! I can hear it screaming at night... shhhh....yep, it's still screaming!!! Doesn't that setting ever sleep??? It's going to lose its voice and be all hoarse when I see it in person again. Maybe I should bring it some tea with honey in it? But that might just encourage it to keep screaming, "BUY MEEEEE!" 24/7!!! It's worse than a newborn! I should do CIO with it!!!!! :naughty: It needs to be FERBERIZED!!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs back, Blissie!! How's your little baby girl? Hope she's sleeping well for her mama!

I understand that you don't want a delicate halo. Hmmmm, you know what else you could consider?! Have you seen Gypsy's plain shank halo? It's gorgeous! It's got the clean, sleek look of a solitaire with the plain shank, BUT it still gives a boost to the center stone with the stunning halo. :naughty:

I do loooove that Michael B though...blingy and SO classy!! How big was the center stone set in it? I think it's the best of both worlds--it'll satisfy your sparkle craving, and it'll be so sleek and timeless. :love:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I cant believe Im saying this. I hate halos. But I think you should keep the halo. A big thing rising off your hand with prongs will get snagged on everything baby, maybe on the baby too. The only thing I would do is change the halo to rubies, sapphires or demantoid. If you really want the MB ring get it as a new ring altogether, but really all that halo running around the shank is no more discrete than the one you have now, which at least is unique and unusual.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Michael B!!! It looks amazing on your finger even with that polish ;-)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I have no advice...but omg your ring is GORGEOUS. how have I not seen it before???? I am off to find your thread(s).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a choice!!

Well - I wouldn't think multiple rows of pave and giant pave'd prongs is any more conducive to an active lifestyle than what you currently have - and I imagine with a newborn your life is the definition of active! Plus - gosh, so few people could pull off BLING like your ring - it would be a pity to lose one of them to something even slightly more discreet (not that that MB is discreet, though - gorgeous, but not the least bit discreet... ::) ) So I vote keeping the halo. For now. And sitting on it for a few more weeks!

In the meantime grill DH and make sure he doesn't think triple bands are trying to be something they're not :cheeky:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the proportions of the Michael B ring on your hand. It looks like it will sit on your finger more stably than your halo, and probably more than the classic solitaire, because of the width of the band. However, the thought of either the halo or the Michael B around a poopy diaper is a bit disconcerting!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Both you and your husband seem to miss the original simple solitare he proposed with. Such decisions!! Your halo is stunning but that stone in any setting would be a stand out!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is stunning. I'd keep it just the way it is! :love:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I am partial to halos but you should do what YOU want. I will say though, I have your 5-stone thread bookmarked because you posted pictures of your beautiful halo with your 5-stone and other stacking bands (including rubies! :love: )

I hope in my finger's next life, it can be as fabulous as yours. :bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because you have such a rock, I personally always liked it better as a solitaire. The new ring is beautiful but it's hard to tell how high maintenance or not it would be or how baby friendly it would be. I definitely think you've got enough center stone to stand on its own!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is fabulous.. and being a halo girl you would think... but nope.. :nono: I know what you are saying... That Michael B is stunning... it would bling right off your hand with your center stone... it's WOW. :love: :love: :love: ... and after I had my halo ring I looked at all these beautiful settings without a halo and wonder too.. but I am guessing.. if I had gone sans halo.. I would be wishing for one of those too... Grass is greener or diamonds are shinier? :wink2: in another setting...

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love your halo and it looks amazing on your hand. I don't think that the Michael B setting will be any better in terms of your current lifestyle. I know that when my kids were newborn, I didn't wear my ering because I was worried about scratching them. By the time they were a few months old, I put the ering back on.

I'd keep what you have...it's gorgeous!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for you to keep the halo. It's absolutely gorgeous. You carry it very well and you did say that it is very sturdy, which is a definitely a plus. A pronged setting is at a greater risk of scratching yr baby with.

And I'm a teeny bit worried that you might suffer from DSS if you go back to a solitaire setting, after having seen the diamond in its halo glory. Not saying that your diamond is small, not at all, quite the contrary, but yknwim (?).

ETA: I have a suggestion: can you get a CZ of the same size as yr centre diamond? Wear it in a temp cheapie setting for a couple of days and see how you really feel?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't seen your current ring before. So all these settings are new to me.

I voted Michael B, but I think I'd go with that or the plain solitaire.

I don't think the Michael B will go well with your lifestyle. I just think you do risk pave falling out.

However, I'm going to be 100% honest, I like the Michael B and the plain solitaire on your hand better. I think they just go with your hand better. They are classic and elegant and I love them both.

From reading this thread, I really think you WANT the plain solitaire. You miss it. You are jealous of others with it. Get colored stone to reset in that halo if that is possible. But I think you will be happy with the plain solitaire. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results